Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks gorgeous, but breaks one of my rules that is has to support 2 players. Any reason why this wouldn't work two player? Any variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
In the resource gathering phase there wouldn't be enough competition. Maybe you could do your own experiments to leave out a few of the resource tiles. Again in the journey phase, not enough competition. Maybe you could randomly place ships in 3rd or 4th colours on the board. Summary: maybe you could invent a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug, we tried a few variants for two. The decision was the game is best with 3 -5, for the reasons stated by Friendless. BUT, we did play 2 player this way: Each player plays 2 captains and has 2 separate ship logs in front of him. This keeps up the competition both in the Plymouth Phase and in the Caribbean phase. It gives you twice as much to think about and is quite challenging. I didn't say 2 player on the box because I wanted to present the game as a multi-player game, but we had plenty of fun with the 2 player versions done this way.

Each player adds the scores for his 2 captains and the higher total wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aeos James
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
G'Day Tiger. How 'bout a game?
badge
https://www.facebook.com/BoardGameKnights
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Hawes wrote:
Doug, we tried a few variants for two. The decision was the game is best with 3 -5, for the reasons stated by Friendless. BUT, we did play 2 player this way: Each player plays 2 captains and has 2 separate ship logs in front of him. This keeps up the competition both in the Plymouth Phase and in the Caribbean phase. It gives you twice as much to think about and is quite challenging. I didn't say 2 player on the box because I wanted to present the game as a multi-player game, but we had plenty of fun with the 2 player versions done this way.

Each player adds the scores for his 2 captains and the higher total wins the game.

Finally a game designer who tells the truth. Thank you Peter for not putting 2-5 players on the box just for commercial reasons. Most games can be modified to suit other amounts of players but often (Not always) when a game says 2-5 players it usually means 3-4 as usually the 2 player game doesn't work the same and the 5 player game really drags with lots of down time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter the Great
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to point out a variant that
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
posted.

You can find it here: 2 Player Variant

We played it last night, and it was very interesting, challenging and fun. I have not had a chance to play with more than two people, so I have nothing to compare it too. However: If I could only play this variant, and never play with more than one other person, I would be happy. It is a very good one. Thanks Mathue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
scooter630 wrote:
I would like to point out a variant that
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
posted.

You can find it here: 2 Player Variant

We played it last night, and it was very interesting, challenging and fun. I have not had a chance to play with more than two people, so I have nothing to compare it too. However: If I could only play this variant, and never play with more than one other person, I would be happy. It is a very good one. Thanks Mathue!

Rhado Runs Through used this two player varient in his video. It borrows heavily from the ingenious 2 player mechanic found in Glen More, and it appears to work, not just well, but very well!

Here's the link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/37796/francis-drake/rahdo-run...

I hope the OP did not give up after the initial answer, because this variant looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, that the game played even better with the 2 player variant where you COMPLETELY BLOCK some spots (like 1 Galleons, 2 Forts and 2 Towns and 1 Trade Port) AND where the AI-Player moves pseudo-randomly. The 2 player variant I speak about is posted in these forums and will be made official soon enough afaik.

I don't think the 3 player variant offers enough competition on the board, especially on trade ports, while the competition in Plymouth is just cruel (maybe too much and not balanced, have to see that). There are also issues with plymouth tile-strength, randomization of those tiles and player order for 2 and 3 player games at least, imho.

2 Player Variant I have played:

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/37796/francis-drake/rahdo-run...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.