Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC C.
United States
Seattle
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game group was recently discussing whether or not getting an ingenious (maxxing out a color to receive a second move) was really all that useful or helpful. There certainly hasn't been a correlation for us between ingenious declarations and winning.

Any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are focusing on getting an ingenious at the exculsion of your weaker colors, than yes it is not worth it.

But getting more turns than your opponents can be a useful thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Scoring an Ingenious can be helpful in at least two ways:

1. You get to place another tile immediately and score hugely in a color that might be blocked by your next turn.

2. You can block another player from scoring in a color he or she really needs. If you have the lead in a color, say red, you can use your extra tile to play a blue/green tile and block a big ocean of red, thus forcing opponents to scramble for red for the rest of the game.

Don't simply score an Ingenious because you can. Time it for when your second play will be most useful or devastating -- or both. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hessler
United States
Oregon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring an ingenious late in the game can also be a way to get points in a color that is already blocked.

Here's how it works. Let's say you are at 17 Red but you are low in Blue. Moreover Blue is already blocked out on the board and the other players are making sure that Blue stays blocked. (Our games tend to be defensive battles). To score Blue points you need to go twice, first put the blue down then another blue to score a point or two. This is what an ingenious is good for. A red-blue will do the trick and then blue-anything for your point.

Granted its only a point but our games tend to be very close with everybody wacthing the other player's score so sometimes one or two points in just the right color is just enough to win.

Thus I like to get to 17 points in a color. That way I can ingenious and get an extra turn whenever I need to.

Jonathan Hessler
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As somebody else already said, you should try to "keep" an ingenious for when you really need it, towards the end of the game. Try to arrive to 16 or 17 in a couple of colours, then when you are down to the last turns you can play two or three tiles in a row, effectively shutting down the other players from the game. Of course they will try do to that too
Most Knizia games are really nice because everything is thinked through and every mechanics is distilled down to the bare minimum. If a rule is there is because it has a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the best reason is that you win if you get all six. It doesn't happen often. In fact, I have only seen it once.

More commonplace is that it gets rid of a tile that doesn't help your low scores, so you can draw an extra tile that may.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
And the best reason is that you win if you get all six. It doesn't happen often. In fact, I have only seen it once.

I have never seen this against real players. I have done it a few times against the bots at http://ingenious.4r.st/, but even that is rare. The only times I have seen a player get close to this were games with newbies. My very first game I scored 16,18,18,18,18,18, and I have never scored that high since. As the players get experience, they learn what others have said above: Ingenious is a game of blocking. If you just keep reaching out for Ingenious because you can, your opponent will screw you in a low color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.