Subject: $175 to spend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam LaBar
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, my question is, are games a good next step for my collection? I'm looking at spending $175 before tax (so about $200).

What I'm planning on getting:

Smash Up
Race for the Galaxy
Sentinels of the Multiverse
King of Tokyo
Ghost Stories

Are these games worth it? Anything I should swap out for something else?

I do all my board game shopping through http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/

Edit: Oops! Sorry guys!

Ummmm.....favourite two games? Cosmic Encounter for sure and probably a toss up between Summoner Wars and Arkham Horror.

Number of players always fluctuates from 3-8 people. When 8 people are over, we usually get in a round of Zombie in my Pocket, Shadow Hunters, and CAH if someone brings it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Without knowing more about your preferences, it's hard to recommend what games you should get. Those are all fine games. They are very different, though, so you're most likely not going to enjoy them all equally.

What are your favorite two games in your collection right now?

How many players do you usually play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For how many players?

I know Race for the Galaxy and King of Tokyo, and both are good games in their categories. KoT fills my dice game niche, but note that it is not fun with 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
invest it in a bitcoin, hope the bubble expands further and make some more money for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're at all unsure about Smash Up, it's apparently going to be featured in this season of Wil Wheatons Tabletop, so might be worth waiting for that to decide (I'm planning on doing so, same with lords of waterdeep)

Sentinels of the Multiverse is pretty fun, only played it once but I had a good time! RtfG seemed like fun too, only experience of it was watching my girlfriend play a game, she didn't seem too impressed but everyone else at the table was having a lot of fun.

I don't have any other games to suggest though with what you like already My collection is too small, might have to grab some of those you listed too! Tsuro is fun if you'd like a short warm up game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buchholz
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of waterdeep and 7 wonders are for me two must haves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viva Java is a great co-op strategy game that plays with 8!

HIGHLY recommend Agricola. My favourite game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Race for the Galaxy
+1 King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up and King of Tokyo both scratch the same monster-beat-up itch so I'd recommend Smash Up as you like crazy card effect games like Cosmic Encounter.

Race for the Galaxy is the deepest game on your list. Maybe too deep. Unless you're willing to commit to learning the icon language and repeated play it will flop with a casual group.

Ghost Stories is a very hard co-op game. Unless your group is prepared to be schooled, it may not be the ideal intro to co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Ghost Stories is a very hard co-op game. Unless your group is prepared to be schooled, it may not be the ideal intro to co-ops.

They are coming from an Arkham Horror background, so Ghost Stories don't seem that huge of a step up. My main concern here is that Ghost Stories would overlap with Arkham Horror, meaning one of those two wouldn't get played.

But I say that without having ever played Ghost Stories, so someone more knowledgeable about the specifics may want to chime in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vovoz wrote:
Ummmm.....favourite two games? Cosmic Encounter for sure and probably a toss up between Summoner Wars and Arkham Horror.

If one of your favourite games is Summoner Wars, then you owe it to yourself to check out Mage Wars Arena, one of the best games of 2012, and one which stands alone as the king of Mage battle games.

In regards to Ghost Stories, there are plenty of other great Co-ops to consider:

Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendations:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, 3-6 players, $37.95 (Dinged, on sale - Damage Grade A)
Android: Infiltration, 2-6 players, $29.95
Carson City, 3-5 players, $47.95
Kill the Overlord, 4-8 players, $14.95
RoboRally, 2-8 players, $44.95

Total: CAN$ 183.75

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If Civilization games are your thing, Clash of Cultures is hands down the best when it comes to accessibility vs feeling like an excellent civ game. Expect 60 minutes per player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam LaBar
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As awesome as Pandemic looks, I have no need to get it yet. A friend of mine just ordered that and Shadows Over Camelot.

Tsuro, now that I see it plays up to 8, is definitely being consider and will most likely be bought.

On Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, and 7 Wonders, I don't think they are for me. If I found them for cheap, I'd consider buying them.

Flash Point and Robinson Crusoe looks like they can be beat. Honestly looking for the ruthlessness of Ghost Stories.

Battlestar Galactica, already having Shadow Hunters and with Shadows Over Camelot coming soon, will hold off on that one for now. Carson City also probably not yet.

Infiltration and RoboRally could be contenders, Kill the Overlord I'm on the fence about.

Civ game? Not right now.

Thank you all for the suggestions! It's giving me a lot to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How do you feel about minigames like Pixel Tactics, NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game, Grimoire Shuffle, Infinity Dungeon: Peril without End, Master Plan, and Blades of Legend?

You can get them all for about CAN$42 on that site, in the Minigame Library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam LaBar
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As awesome as the Minigame Library looks, I think Pixel Tactics is the only one I'm excited for in there. After seeing the review for it, the other games don't quite seem worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance: Avalon

Doesn't cost much, lots of fun, and accomodates a high number of players.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about other light party-esque games for up to 8 (or more)? I'm thinking like The Resistance or BANG! The Bullet!.

EDIT: Ninja'ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Lords of Waterdeep and King of Tokyo

Also consider:

Cyclades
Elder Sign
Seasons
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: The Card Game
^ Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is a very entry level board game , excellent for introducing to Virgins who've no idea about board games. It's a great party game but it still takes about 30-40 minutes with 5 people.

Ghost Stories has been a good success with my group , but as others have commented be prepared to get your arse whopped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam LaBar
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've been given a lot to think about. I'll be doing my order in about 6 days (when they might have some sale stuff on).

Right now, I'm thinking of getting:

Tsuro(Extremely likely)
Smash Up(Depends on if in stock at the time)
Infiltration(Likely)
Sentinels of the Multiverse or King of Tokyo
Ghost Stories or Conquest of Planet Earth(Probably Conquest, unless GS is in stock)

Also, want to get Cyclades and Seasons eventually, just not this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars 2nd edition just went on sale at Starlit today, but it might be heavier than what you're looking for. Great game though - I ordered a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restocks happen every Friday right now. This week's restock might be slightly delayed (bad couriers, bad!) but latest all stock should be up by then. Smash Up and Ghost Stories should both arrive in this restock. If you ever need to know when something is coming in, e-mail or call us and we'll do our best to give you a idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the games you like and your list, I wouldn't choose between Smash Up and King of Tokyo, I would get both. I haven't tried Smash Up yet, but KoT is just so much fun, and given your ratings I think it would be a big hit for you.

Also, Race for the Galaxy is probably my favorite game, so I would put that back on your list. The iconography can be tough for some people at first, but it is a game worth sticking with. It plays very well with all player counts, takes less than an hour, and has more depth than anything else you are considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.