Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently go to terms with playing this most excellent game.I mean I can't stop thinking about it, it is so good. I had played the Swedish version of the 70s edition before (Universums Härskare) but did not have a good experience. (Looking in hind-sight the answer to why, is too many euro-players)

But somehow last week or so I played a game of this edition that I don't remember much of, then another which ended in an interesting situation with the reincrinator flare (not sure we played them correctly) was in play a lot so our races where not important. A lot of players was on 4, and I was attacked, the attacker invited a lot of allys. I would be chance-less and lost to lose the game. However I play the card that redoes a encounter to a negation, so we changed one base each and had a shared victory.

So come Sunday when we had payed two four-player games of Battlestar Galactica (yeah that don't really work with four but still) we ended with a Cosmic Encounter session

Me - Tick-Tock (Starts with ten-counters, removes 1 when defence wins or succesfull negotiation. When all counters are removed win the game)
New player - Sorcerer (Oponent plays encounter card open)
M1 - Fido (Fetch, offers the last discarded cards to another player, if they take it he gets a new otherwise he get the offered card)
M2 - Clone (Can take back his played encounter card)

At the early game I tended to try to align with the defenders a lot to help win the defend and remove a counter, and also cosmic zapped Sorcerer once (still had one in my hand). I attacked to lose. They also negotiated a bit to much early one so I was quick down to 5 counters when they realised it and stopped completing negotiations. Somehow the defences continued to win and suddenly I was down to one counter but only two forgein colonies and Sourcer and Fido was on 4 colonies. Sourcer draws Clone and attacks inviteing Fido for a shared win. Settings the Clone player in the situation to choice if he is going to try to defend and let me win or let the other two win. He plays a defence cards but the Sourcer goes to win together with the Fido player.

And that game is more or less when I started to really really love the game. (I can't rate it a 10 yet though, because there is peope that I would never play it with because they would not get the point)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
(I can't rate it a 10 yet though, because there is peope that I would never play it with because they would not get the point)

Though that is true with just about every game I really notice it in Cosmic Encounter. If you're in, you're all in. If you're out, you're out 100%. Not sure if they just don't like/understand the meta game or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
virre wrote:
(I can't rate it a 10 yet though, because there is peope that I would never play it with because they would not get the point)

Though that is true with just about every game I really notice it in Cosmic Encounter. If you're in, you're all in. If you're out, you're out 100%. Not sure if they just don't like/understand the meta game or what?

Well I think people play games for diffrent reasons and people that plays games for somekind of self-profiting good feeling of winning something instead of enjoying something with other people. Why they then don't just play video-games still confuses me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Rhoades
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virre: If you were down to two home bases, you should have lost your alien power, and therefore your ability to discard a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant he had only two foreign colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
zedros wrote:
Virre: If you were down to two home bases, you should have lost your alien power, and therefore your ability to discard a token.

I might have been unclear. I got two point-scoreing colonies. My homebases where still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Cosmic and I have never seen Tick-Tock win due to his alternate victory condition.

In my experience, Tick-Tock's power really speeds up the game and makes other players more receptive to shared wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Faber
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with Tic-toc in a 5 player game. It was my turn when he got to one token. Both the defense and I played Negotiate cards. We knew if we didn't negotiate then it would pass to another player and neither of us would win (either the new player or Tic-toc would). We decided to each let the other put a new colony on the others home system giving us 5 each. We determined that this was a 3 way shared victory, most pleasing since it was my two buddies that were left in the Cosmic dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.