Subject: How Is Through The Desert??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
Should I trade my St. Petersburg for Through the Desert???
How good is the game and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For all the hype, I think it's just OK. There's other games I'd much rather play, usually. I'll trade mine, but I'm not interested in St. Petersburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:

There is a pencil and paper version if you want to play test it. But you have to tell us what you like and who will be playing in order to get an answer to that question, methinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:

There are currently six reviews and over one hundred session reports. They may help you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
I'll be playing with 2 mostly.....sometimes 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played St P, but TTD is one of my favorite games.

It's not for everyone (but what game is?), but it is well liked on this site, and has gone over very well with everyone I have introduced it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the game page, you can read up on why people do or don't like a game. I find reading reading the rating comments very helpful in getting a sense of why people like or dislike a game. The other helpful link is by the Geeklists. If you click on the "view all items" link, it gives all the comments made about a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert feels similar to Ticket to Ride for me. TtD is deeper than TtR, though I think it is less tense. I like both games, but prefer TtD. You rate TtR a 9, so I am betting that you would like TtD as well. However, your game collection is fairly small, so you might not want a game that is similar to one you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert is very much an abstract game. If you like abstract games you'll enjoy it but if you don't you'll hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
most recent Fantasy Flight Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Through the Desert is very much an abstract game. If you like abstract games you'll enjoy it but if you don't you'll hate it.

His general point is not wrong, but it is just way too concrete. Through the Desert is a pretty abstract game and nearly a perfect information game. I'm generally not a fan of either one and certainly not both together. Despite that, TtD is one of my favorites. For me, each move hits the optimal tension level between what you want to do and what you can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games, and I don't plan on trading either of them, but my wife likes st. petersburg a lot. TtD is a very easy game to grasp right out of the box, and stP takes a learning curve of a round or two. Both good games, but my money would be on TtD if it was one or the other. And you have to love those pastel camels! you can't say that about StP, "you gotta love those hmm...woodcutters?" nah it isn;t the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are so many boring-themed euro games. Someone needs to make Puerto Rico --in space. With Zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think you should trade St. Petersburg for Through the Desert. In my experience, St. Petersburg is great for the first few plays, but gets very repetitive after playing it 5 to 10 times because the cards come out in a pretty similar fashion each game, and there aren't really very many different strategies when it comes to what to buy and how to build. Through the Desert, on the other hand, has significantly more replayability, isn't nearly as dry as everyone makes it out to be, and involves far less luck. You really have control over your fate in Through the Desert, and can try many different strategies. There are four different ways to score points, and all are viable paths to victory. Through the Desert works extremely well with 2 players. It scales up to 5 players, but is not quite as good with so many people. I recommend my review of Through the Desert, available at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/91323

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.