Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is the way a game should be packaged. The plastic insert has an indentation for every part of the game. All pieces fit snugly and exactly. I haven't seen this sort of forethought in game packaging in a long time. Good job Kosmos/Mayfair!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game, but from the images here, I'm not impressed. This is an example of what I call over-development of the insert. A little indent for every separate piece is silly, especially stacks of cardboard discs/tiles. It makes the game more difficult to put away. Deep and rounded bins are the way to go. And the insert should be designed so that when everything is put away, the board covers everything securely, and does not move up and down when the cover is on even if the game is placed on its side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, some people would probably criticize free money too!

I was impressed by the insert too. It's nice to see a company take the time to design a functional, well thought out insert. American companies could really learn a thing or two from German companies in this regard.

I like inserts where everything has a place. But with this insert, I couldn't fit all of the wall pieces where I thought they should go. Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with fitting the wall pieces into the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wheeler
United States
Mobridge
South Dakota
flag msg tools
No peeking!
badge
The item is not here.
mbmbmbmbmb
kimbo wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with fitting the wall pieces into the box?

They all fit. Well, at least into my box they fit.

Divide the walls into two stacks of two player colors (ie. red and green/blue and yellow) and place those stacks directly into the two slots the stacks are meant for. They'll fit perfectly. If you try to put them in perpendicular to the box it won't work.

The two slots, if you can't find them are on the opposite end of the box from where the cards, dice, and player aids go, near the middle.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I don't own the game, but from the images here, I'm not impressed. This is an example of what I call over-development of the insert. A little indent for every separate piece is silly, especially stacks of cardboard discs/tiles. It makes the game more difficult to put away. Deep and rounded bins are the way to go. And the insert should be designed so that when everything is put away, the board covers everything securely, and does not move up and down when the cover is on even if the game is placed on its side.

I agree. The insert is great and this has been done for other Teuber games (Entdecker) but the issue is that if you put the game upright on the shelf, things fall out of their spots. This one is not too bad. I've seen worse. A game of Thrones for example. It's a bitch to put things back into the box (case of over design).

A good insert is the Memoir 44 one. Deep trays to put the figures into. Insert of the tiles, another one for the cards (with a space below to put the little small tokens. A nice cutout for the board to sit in (which makes everything underneath not fall out of the bins. An even better idea would have been to subdivide the bins inside to cater for different units in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wheeler
United States
Mobridge
South Dakota
flag msg tools
No peeking!
badge
The item is not here.
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
A good insert is the Memoir 44 one. Deep trays to put the figures into. Insert of the tiles, another one for the cards (with a space below to put the little small tokens. A nice cutout for the board to sit in (which makes everything underneath not fall out of the bins. An even better idea would have been to subdivide the bins inside to cater for different units in the game.

I agree that Memoir has a good insert. One reason though is (and it shares this distinction with War of the Ring for example) that if you deck-protect the cards, even though you can't fit them back into the spaces for the cards they still fit in the large wells with all of the minis. You can then use the card wells for baggied smaller pieces (ie. unit markers).

If they would have subdivided the large wells it wouldn't be as flexible. I'm sure it all was a happy accident though.

I guess my point in all this rambling is that it's nice when they include at least one oversize well to add the flexibility of different organization compulsions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I agree.
The insert is fantastic, and much better than just deep bins, where you'd have to place pieces in little baggies or have to spend and hour to find and organize them for the set up of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is almost an exemplary insert. It would be perfect if the folded board didn't slide around. But that's a very nitpicky complaint when you consider the insert-less Mayfair boxes (not to mention the one-size-fits-all card trays) or the featureless interiors of the cavernous Eagle boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dworak
United States
Latham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

"And the insert should be designed so that when everything is put away, the board covers everything securely, and does not move up and down when the cover is on even if the game is placed on its side."

me:

I agree with this. What I've been doing lately is putting the boards that held the cardboard bits back in the box under the insert, in order to raise the insert closer to the box cover. Works for a couple of games so far, including this one.

This was suggested by someone on BGG, and I wish I could remember who to thank them. So whoever that was, thanks for the good idea!

Personally, give me a flatter, empty box and a bunch of ziploc baggies. Lately I've had to throw away the inserts for games because they're nearly useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shone
Australia
Glenroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
I would have to agree with the second poster. For me the insert get too fiddly - putting pieces into and out of individual moulded sections seems a bit escessive . Needless to say I've removed the insert alltogether and just bagged up everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
I can't believe people don't like the insert. I love the insert! In fact I think I had more fun putting the game away the first time I played it than actually playing it!

I can see things falling out if the game is placed on its side. My answer is... don't place games on their side. Stack one on top of the other on a shelf.

If you don't like the insert, feel free to toss it and put everything in the box-bottom in plastic bags. Personally I think the insert is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.