GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Twilight Struggle or Rex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Gavran
msg tools
mb
Hi, as the title says, I need some opinions on the two games. I wanted a cutthroat game of careful actions (instead of ordinary mindless slaughtering we enjoy so much ) So, I ask you, which one (in your opinion, of course) is better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation would depend on how many people you usually play with. If you usually play with only one other person, then Twilight Struggle is the way to go. However, if you usually play in a group, then it would be much better to go with Rex.

Both a quite good games, but the game play is quite different. In Twilight Struggle, you're pitting yourself against a single opponent. You'll have to second-guess what your opponent is thinking and what cards he has. It's a really quiet and tense game with a lot of shout-out-loud moments when things really go your way.

In Rex, negotiation is a key element. You need to work with others. By allying with others, it can be easier to win, but there are also many opportunities to get stabbed in the back. This is a very political game in that you always have to consider your own best interests, but at the same time make it look like you're thinking about the interests of your allies.

Choose the one that matches your play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. The games almost couldn't be more different, but player count decides it. Between these two, Twilight Struggle for two players (and two players only) and Rex for three players plus (and really only would shine with five or six).

That said, there are plenty of games here with "careful actions" which retain the cutthroat sensibility you describe.

For three or four...Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

For exactly four (five with expansion)...Chaos in the Old World

For five (more with expansions)...Cosmic Encounter

For four, five or six...Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Enjoy yourself looking around the site; you can lose days thinking about your options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

For exactly four (five with expansion)...Chaos in the Old World

For five or (more with expansions)...Cosmic Encounter

For four, five or six...Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

100% Accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Enjoy yourself looking around the site; you can lose days thinking about your options.

And that's why I set the firewall at work to block Boardgamegeek.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.