Subject: CARD CONFUSION rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, some games, you open the box, you read through the rule and it all seems perfectly logical.
Some special things might need a bit of explaining, but the basic rules are clear. COMBAT COMMANDER was such a game for me.

Other games are a bit more of a struggle.
This one clearly is.

Seems straightforward enough, napoleonic wars, move and conquer but reading the rules I kept hitting on sidetracks.
This will happen, unless......

As the rulebook didn't really help me, I than decided to try and play the example and figure out if I can understand what happens and why it does.

Main struggle is them cards, beautifull as the are, they are also littered with tekst in my german version.

So example of play, and I suddenly realise that the battle phase is not one but 6.. aha.
now in turn 1805-4 in the example of play, the French have this card - which I struggle to translate into english- which allows them to move three armies.

After moving army 1, the player now plays a diplomacy card and than moves army 2. (just to make sure an army in this is not just one counter, but the whole stack right?)

Now this confuses me.
The rules state that cards are used in the phase noted on them, so how do they now use a diplomacy card in the battle stage..

Unless.... and I probably overlooked this, you are supposed to discard any card every time you want to move an army. So the card is not used for it's event but simply as a card that allows the army to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Unless.... and I probably overlooked this, you are supposed to discard any card every time you want to move an army. So the card is not used for it's event but simply as a card that allows the army to move.

This is the answer you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The very first move you make in a turn does not require a card, but for all subsequent moves, you must discard a card from hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I got the bit that the first turn is, as it were, free.

But I missunderstood that when a card says, move 3 armies, you'd simply move them.
Instead you count the mover 3 card, as the card to move the first army and for the other 2 you'd have to sacrifice 2 other cards.

So - don't know it this is possible - but if you'd have no cards left, that would mean you can't move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got it right.

The triple move card is about tempo, of course - getting the jump on your opponent at the cost of not having moves later. Of course, if your opponent's armies are destroyed, you don't *need* to move later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.