Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the best way to learn TS? Just read the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:

I don't think learning TS is different from learning any other game. The best way is a combination of reading the rules first and then playing against someone who knows the game well.

Although the rules are relatively simple, TS has a lot of depth, so it's impossible to master the game simply by reading the rules. You'll improve with experience.

There are also several ways to play online. VASSAL and Wargameroom are among the most popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules, and then read the player aid sheets. When you have questions, come here and check the Rules section. A lot of questions have been answered. You can, of course, also ask any new ones you have.

Overall, the game isn't that hard to wrap your head around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
find a good opponent and play and play... best way to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have clarified, the best way to learn without playing with someone who knows the game. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning the rules is very simple. There is 9 pages of rules in all. This of course is not the same as learning how to play the game, for that, you need to play a LOT of games.

Knowing the deck is the most important, and that comes with repeated plays. You don't have to learn the text of each and every one card, but maybe key few ones.

Start with scoring cards, there is only 7 of those (and only 3 in the early deck), knowing if those cards are played or not is a good indicator on where you should focus your plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
I should have clarified, the best way to learn without playing with someone who knows the game. Thanks

For that, just read the rules, set up the board, deal 14 16 cards and start.

I see you played Washington's War, concept of placing influence is very similar. The main difference is that events are triggered (unlike in WW) when you play the card for ops which has opponents event.

Besides this, there is only Coups and Realignments that have to be understood, both of which are easy concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I assume there are "how to play" videos and podcasts. You can always look for those. I don't have any specific recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:
the best way to learn without playing with someone who knows the game. Thanks

Read the rules then solo play a few turns. Solo-ing is far from ideal of course because there is hidden information, but it will give you a feel for how a turn plays out. I think there are several strategy articles in the forums which may at least make you aware of the kind of considerations you will be making when taking a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:

There are also several ways to play online. VASSAL and Wargameroom are among the most popular.

I would avoid this until you know the game. At least with VASSAL, the rules are not enforced, so the experience can be frustrating. Unless you find a someone who knows the game and is willing to teach via this platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
At least with VASSAL, the rules are not enforced

This is incorrect arguably misleading.

EDIT: Perhaps it's more fair to say that the Twilight Struggle VASSAL module enforces the turn structure, sequence of play, automates scoring and events, and restricts most options when appropriate. It's not 100% bulletproof rule enforcement such that it will prevent a player from placing influence in places that aren't allowed at the time, nor would it prevent someone from placing more influence than the ops value of their card. For that level of enforcement, Wargameroom is the better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
scottandkimr wrote:

I would suggest the following steps:

- Read the rules. Also, for the love of bgg, don't ask about the following on this board: When you play an opponents card type, the event triggers and you spend the points. When you play your own card type, you get a choice of event or points. Yes it sounds backwards, but it's really key to feel of the game. It'll make sense after a few hands. Event triggering may cause the card to be removed from the game/shuffling. Otherwise, it goes back in the shuffle for the discard.

- Set up the board using the example game in the back for IP placement.

- Play with an opponent. Give him USSR and expect to lose. Or alternatively, just let him play as the US and only go two rounds.

- Now reread the rules (They're not that long). Reshuffle and setup.

- Play a game fixing everything you got wrong. If you did the two round option above, now graciously let your opponent play the USSR. He will probably win in your first game, but it's good to reward someone willing to help you learn a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to do a teaching game by pbem over VASSAL if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an episode of the "How To Play Podcast" that covers Twilight Struggle. I already knew the game when I first saw it but the HTP podcasts are usually very patient and thorough explanations of the basics. (I've learned Le Havre, Agricola, Tigris and Euphrates, Through The Ages and Dominant Species -- all harder games to learn than Twilight Struggle -- just from listening.)

http://howtoplaypodcast.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I'd be happy to do a teaching game by pbem over VASSAL if you're interested.

I am interested in something like this...I own the game, and my wife and I played one game. It's hard to pick up on anything we might be doing "wrong" when we are newbies. However, I think we played everything right, just had to look up a couple of rules regarding playing certain cards for their "actions" (or whatever it's called...not for points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

EDIT: Perhaps it's more fair to say that the Twilight Struggle VASSAL module enforces the turn structure, sequence of play, automates scoring and events, and restricts most options when appropriate. It's not 100% bulletproof rule enforcement such that it will prevent a player from placing influence in places that aren't allowed at the time, nor would it prevent someone from placing more influence than the ops value of their card. For that level of enforcement, Wargameroom is the better choice.

It's in fact simpler to say that the VASSAL module enforces all of the rules except for influence placement (it does, however, enforce the results of coups and realignments).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this blog post really good for a clear rules overview :

http://jmcl63.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/getting-down-to-busines...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

It's in fact simpler to say that the VASSAL module enforces all of the rules except for influence placement (it does, however, enforce the results of coups and realignments).

Vassal is vasdtly superior to Wargameroom IMO. I think it's easier for newcomers to get to grips with too, as it is easier to set up, isn't timed, and allows easy takebacks in case of mistakes.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jason Hyman's instructional videos, right on this site, are the best videos I've ever seen of any type on Board Game Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through this. I picked up the game last Saturday and started going over the components and sleeving the cards. I read over the rule book and convinced my wife to go over it with me. Once I read the rule book, we played a couple of turns (of 6 action rounds) and felt pretty comfortable after looking up a few rules as we played.

I skipped the example of gameplay in the rulebook and still feel that I don't need it. Really, the best thing to do is just dive into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learnt how to play the game from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFfVqRmDLkI&list=LLAciuX4yMqB...

A bit long, but it covers all the basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.