Sen Seau
msg tools
Hi. I'm a new member to BGG, and I specifically joined because of how excited I was for this fantastic board game.

I'm currently a senior majoring in Graphic Design, and as a fun weekend project, I decided to redesign the card border system and recreate each card with its own unique piece of artwork. Also, I couldn't afford to buy the boardgame at the moment, so i'm playtesting with a lot of proxies that I made for myself.

All Hero & SHIELD cards have a blue border, meanwhile all Villain/Scheme/Henchmen/Mastermind cards have the red border. It's a pretty big change, but so far I haven't had any trouble playing without the color system. (Since I didn't playtest with Cap)

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I fly solo. So I redesigned a gameboard for myself. This is version 1, and needs a bit of tweaking.

Update 4/10
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Here's some custom cards with my new border and identity system.

I love Ironman, and here are some 'rare' cards that I thought could compliment his card pool. As usual, these are one-of's and they replace Quantum Breakthrough.

I also thought it'd be cool to personalize and flesh out the bystander deck a little more. So I intended to design one-of 'rare' bystanders that are shuffled into the bystander deck, which is then distributed into the villain deck before play so you won't know if there's a rare bystander in the game.

Here are some variations of existing cards that I changed to suit my preferences for solo-play.

It didn't really make sense to me the first time I played that when I beat masterminds, it seemed to get easier from the bonuses they were providing. So instead of providing bonuses, here I changed the abilities to match the flavor of the card and the mastermind more.

I haven't got to test this card out yet. But i'm excited. Rogue's by far my favorite hero in this game.

Update 4/11

I read Superior Spiderman today, and I thought it's amazing. So I made cards. I incorporated the color system and changed up the borders a little. I know he's spider-bros, but for now he's Avengers.

This is the uncommon. Intended for 3 copies.

This is the rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Visual revamping + Custom cards
Wow. Incredible! Truly an amazing job and superior to the original in my opinion.

I'm quite interested in a link to add these to greatly fancy up my copy of Legendary.

Personalized bystanders is brilliant and will greatly add to the theme of the game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Thank you! I'd like to release hero packs one by one, but I don't know if it's very legal. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of custom Bystanders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I really like the idea of custom Bystanders!

Yeah I was really excited when I came up with the idea. In order for it to be exactly the way I want it to be though, I am planning to illustrate the characters for the cards because I'm having a lot of trouble finding good images for these cards.

I was thinking it'd be hella cool if a Pepper Potts bystander card can be KO'ed from the Victory Pile to suit up for one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely an interseting new look for the game, and I like the modern feel very much. A few pieces of feedback, however:

- You have to be careful that the card art does not interfere with the game information. In the Spidey card, for example, the information on the left is hard to read, if you move the art to the left it becomes easier to see.

- I am not a fan of having the group affiliation on the left with the card effects, I would put it in the "header" - top right seems to be a good spot.

- I would also seperate the cost from the game effects - the first time I saw it, my brain somehow read it as game effect "attack 1, recruit 2" instead of "cost 2" - the cost is a piece of information that is used in a different context, therefore I feel it should be distinguished in some way.

- I would consider adopting the color system from the original game, it makes it easy to grok what type of card was just played versus having to read actually read it (also makes it easier for other players to see - I know you are basically designing a solo version, but as a general tip)

- I would defintely advise against uploading the cards from the base game - as you would present a print to play version of the game, I'm pretty sure UDE and/or Marvel would not look too kindly on that (and remember, Marvel is part of the Disney family, which as far as I know have no problem with sending contract killers after infringers. Or even worse, their lawyers...). Even putting up your own cards is kind of iffy, since you use copyrighted artwork, but from what I've seen that is tolerated.

- Who is the artist on the Jane Foster-piece? kinda reminds me of Michael Avon Oeming...

But on the whole, I do applaud your design work, and once you have the kinks worked out methinks you will have a great set to play with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Thanks for the heads up. I was also cautious of the base cards, I'll just leave the custom cards up since they show what needed to be shown.

The art in the Jane Foster card is from Thor: The Mighty Avenger
http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Mighty-Avenger-Vol-Earth/dp/07851...
It's a really good read, and for once the love interest isn't overly sexualized.

Also thank you for the critique. Honestly for the cost part of the cards, when I was designing the cards I had absolutely no idea how the game really worked. I had to watch two videos to actually get how to play it properly, as I thought you had to pay recruit costs every time you play the card.

I do have an idea of incorporating the color system into the current overall design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that I loved the Black Widow card, but I can't seem to see it anymore. FWIW, the Black Widow card was missing the plus sign after the 0 in the fight stat on the right edge of the card.

The personalized bystanders idea is one of the best expansions of the game I can think of. Kudos! There's another thread around here in which I suggested someone should make Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy bystander cards, but I never thought of putting a card effect on them to make the bystanders useful as something besides victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey. I just wanted to say you did a really great job. I wish the devs could see this and make some kind of seperate packs of cards for sale. They need to included individual hero, villain, and bystander artwork.

There are SO many characters that could be added as Bystanders like Aunt May, Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacey, etc.

Plus the heroes and villains have had SO many different costumes over the past few years that making different artwork for each character would not be that hard.

Again, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing your custom ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
wgerken wrote:
Wow. Incredible! Truly an amazing job and superior to the original in my opinion.

I'm quite interested in a link to add these to greatly fancy up my copy of Legendary.

Personalized bystanders is brilliant and will greatly add to the theme of the game.

Thanks!

Your card style is 100% superior to the product UDE has released. Bravo to you sir. I wish UDE had you around when creating the game the first time around

If you remake all the original cards in this manner and make it into a printable PDF file, I will 100% replace all my cards with yours

That being said, before I would do that, consider a few things...a few small nitpicks...

1.On the Unibeam card, the icons and values are not that easy to perceive. Might want to address that somehow or choose art that doesn't interfere as much

2.One thing I think UDE did right was having the attack type i.e ranged an icon, that way it's easier to know if you had previously played one.

3.In the same vein, I would have the "border" match the attack type color, similar to what UDE has done. Again, the immediate visual cue of saying "oh great, i drew 2 blue cards" helps a lot from a gameplay perspective.

4. I don't really like the board at all. I think it feels cluttered and somehow has a victory pile? How would that work in a non-solo game? I do LOVE the iconography you have though. I would re-think the layout. Keep it like the original board maybe (minus the overly large K.O zone) but with your new icons. Would be sweet.

Also: LOVE LOVE LOVE the "special" bystanders. I love what you did with the Jane Foster card flavor wise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Updated with new cards. Thanks for all the input everyone. I do take them seriously, and will slowly improve the cards.

As cool as it would be to release a re-visualized version of the existing game, that'd be kind of a douchey (and illegal) move to the wonderful guys at UDE, so I won't be doing that. Later down the road when the new border and icon system has been developed a little more, I can release it so you guys can make customs or mod your own games with it.

Thanks for tuning in.

Also about the gameboard real quick. It's solely designed for solo play, and I tried to make it as small as possible so it's easy to store and efficient with its usage of space. While it may be cluttered, the organization of the spots are pretty streamlined (idk if I used that word correctly.)

There's your villain areas highlighted in red. Mastermind's grouped with the villain deck. When you beat a villain, move it to the right where the victory pile is. There's a play area for your personal deck now, and the KO space is conveniently between everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Slade
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Visual revamping + Custom cards. Update: Rogue/Loki
Hey again. I had to comment again lol. This time I wanted to say I really like your custom Rogue card. She is my favorite Hero. And the powers you gave the card is really cool. Thanks again for sharing.

Oh and I liked the Loki powers too. Defeating the Masterminds does seem to give u an advantage in most cases. I agree it should be a negative outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Updated with Superior Spiderman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
heraldofcats wrote:
Updated with Superior Spiderman.

Love it, but why are you changing the colors? Tech=black, covert=red. It's confusing when you make them different and I don't see to what advantage.

Also, would it be possible to make the hero name font a bit more legible, currently it's hard to read.

Also don't know what you mean by "tech super power" is what the same as when you trigger an additional effect when the cards have the icons on them?

P.S. I adore the card style and as I've said I find it to be superior to the original product. That being said, I am not a fan of the card "abilities", I think most of the spiderman cards are fairly weak and are trying too hard to do something "cool" that is not very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
Sorry I actually don't really have the cards on hand so I don't know what color's what. I just kind of guess by looking at the other custom cards people make. lol.

Yeah he's not very powerful as compared to Rogue or Call of Lightning Thor, but during my games I find spiderman super useful for setting up superpower combos and his cards are easy to get.

I'm going to play test him soon and tweak it according to my games. I think Careful Considerations is the best card of Superior Spiderman's pool because not only does it provide additional damage for multiple turns, it gets rid of the useless SHIELD cards for late game.

I'm also in progress of kind of updating the top part of the card borders so the hero and type text would be more legible.

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
heraldofcats wrote:
Sorry I actually don't really have the cards on hand so I don't know what color's what. I just kind of guess by looking at the other custom cards people make. lol.

Yeah he's not very powerful as compared to Rogue or Call of Lightning Thor, but during my games I find spiderman super useful for setting up superpower combos and his cards are easy to get.

I'm going to play test him soon and tweak it according to my games. I think Careful Considerations is the best card of Superior Spiderman's pool because not only does it provide additional damage for multiple turns, it gets rid of the useless SHIELD cards for late game.

I'm also in progress of kind of updating the top part of the card borders so the hero and type text would be more legible.

Thanks for the input!

if it helps. Blue=ranged, red=covert, yellow=instinct,black=tech,green=strength and grey= the shield trooper/agent/officer

Feel free to PM me if you need some help designing/tweaking the cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of questions:
Wouldn't Careful Considerations stay in your hand indefinitely? It looks like you redraw it every round. Also, wouldn't that weaken the Rare card to discard all your starters?

Also, why would you use the ability on Ruthless Measures? It seems like that would just serve to lower your score. Maybe instead you KO the top card of the villain deck?

I do really like Eight-Hundred Eyes and The Superior Spider-man. They exemplify his planning and disregard for others well.

One more thing. I'm not sure how far into the series you are, but Spock is a bit of a loner to begin with, and it's looking like that Avengers logo would be less appropriate soon. I would make him unaffiliated, despite the fact he flaunts his membership.

Keep it up! Your cards look fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
A few more tips.

I think someone before mentioned that the "cost" to purchase a card should not be mixed into it's battle values (fight and recruit). Consider moving the purchase cost to the bottom right or top right of the card as to distinguish it from combat values.

I really love the cards you made however I don't think some of them translate very well into real game use. Having played A LOT of Legendary here are some recommendations I think would make the cards more fun to play with without necessarily making them more powerful.

Here's a few tweeks I can suggest:

Common: Eight Hundred Eyes
Type: Tech
Cost: 3
Recruit: 1
Ability: Reveal the top card of the Hero deck, you may recruit that card this turn.

Unfortunately looking at the villain deck doesn't give you very much advantage of often will feel useless since in a non-solo game cards get flipped out so often.I feel like commons should have simple abilities. This one gives you a meager 1 recruit however it can reveal new cards from the deck allowing for more choice/better choice in what to gain/build your deck. I think it plays into the "seeing into the future" flavor of the card nicely.

Common: Ruthless Measures
Type: Strength
Cost: 2
Fight: 1+
Ability (REQUIRES Strength Trigger)+2 Fight,any villains of Master Minds defeated with this card's attack are KO'd. Any bystanders are also KO'd (they do not go into your victory pile)

I really like this card, how you trade off easy power for no VP, which is a trade you're often willing to do. However late in the game, having this card in hand will likely be dead as you want as MUCH VP as possible. I increased the cost to 2 and gave the Fight a 1+ that can go as high as 3. This allows you to turn the effect "on" and "off" to suit your needs. At the worst it's a 1 fight trooper.

Uncommon: Careful Considerations
Type: Covert
Cost: 4
Fight: 2
Ability: You may KO a hero card in your hand or discard pile. If you do draw a card.
Ability (REQUIRES Covert Trigger): You may KO a Wound instead.

I like the idea behind this card, as I feel the game needs more ways to KO bad cards, however I think it coming back to your hand would make it WAY too powerful early game. Instead why not draw a card? And for some not-make-you-hate-this-card in the late game, a trigger to get rid of wounds.

Rare: The Superior Spiderman
Cost: 7
Fight: 0+
Ability: Gain a Hero card from the HQ of 5 or less cost. The Superior Spiderman gains fight equal to that card's cost.

I felt the previous card's effect felt funny compared to his uncommon. I think if you're going to do a low cost rare the entire deck has to follow this theme. It's just odd to be able to get the best card for cheaper than lesser ones. That being said I don't think the ability would translate to a higher cost. So I thought, isn't one of Spiderman's core strengths is his ability to get other to join his cause? I figured this would be a neat card. Get a free HERO from HQ of 5 or less cost and that hero "lends" his strength to Spidey for the turn.

Very curious to hear what you think.

Edit: small typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen Seau
msg tools
bachpat wrote:

Ability: Reveal the top card of the Hero deck, you may recruit that card this turn.

I originally considered having 800 Eyes to look at the Hero deck and swap things around so you can find relevant answers/needs faster, but it didn't really match the flavor of him looking at the city for villains.

Perhaps we can have it so 800 Eyes lets you draw a card for each power 5 or more Villain it reveals. So it still matches the flavor of Spiderman 'preparing' for what his spider-bots are seeing.

bachpat wrote:

Ability (REQUIRES Strength Trigger)+2 Fight,any villains of Master Minds defeated with this card's attack are KO'd. Any bystanders are also KO'd (they do not go into your victory pile)

This is a nice change, I'll revise the card later.

bachpat wrote:

Ability: You may KO a hero card in your hand or discard pile. If you do draw a card.

The original intention behind this card was for you to have to KO it from your hand before you play it. I just wanted to test how ridiculous it'd be if you could KO it after you play it. The reason why I designed the power aspect of it is sometimes I just get a hand with 5 agents and 1 measly +2 attack that doesn't do anything. Then the next turn I might get 8 attack and i'm 2 off from hitting Loki, so this card was for you to be able to 'plan' for a better attack next turn. Maybe we should promote this to be the rare.

bachpat wrote:

Ability: Gain a Hero card from the HQ of 5 or less cost. The Superior Spiderman gains fight equal to that card's cost.

The original version was to truly show the difference between the Astonishing Spiderman and the Superior Spiderman. I think what you've put down right now is great for Spiderman, but not Superior Spiderman. Superior Spiderman sacrifices things for power, and he's not a very good team player. (idk from the other comics, I only read spiderman so far) That's why I also didn't have 800 eyes adjust the hero deck, because that promotes better 'teamwork' amongst the HQ pool.

Maybe we can have this KO a Hero from the HQ instead. Then I would think it'd be more fitting.

For multiplayer, this card can also gain power from KO'ing cards from other player's hands.

As usual, thanks for the input. I think we're brewing something really cool here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patspats
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

I originally considered having 800 Eyes to look at the Hero deck and swap things around so you can find relevant answers/needs faster, but it didn't really match the flavor of him looking at the city for villains.

Perhaps we can have it so 800 Eyes lets you draw a card for each power 5 or more Villain it reveals. So it still matches the flavor of Spiderman 'preparing' for what his spider-bots are seeing.

So, if Superior Spiderman is not a team player how about this: Change the 1 recruit to 1 fight instead, and make him flip the top card of the villain deck. What we achieve here is that thanks to his foresight he is able to fight villains that the others cannot "see" yet. Would that work?

It would be:

Fight: 1
Ability: Reveal the top card of the Villain deck, you may fight that card this turn.

Quote:

This is a nice change, I'll revise the card later.

Great!

Quote:

The original intention behind this card was for you to have to KO it from your hand before you play it. I just wanted to test how ridiculous it'd be if you could KO it after you play it. The reason why I designed the power aspect of it is sometimes I just get a hand with 5 agents and 1 measly +2 attack that doesn't do anything. Then the next turn I might get 8 attack and i'm 2 off from hitting Loki, so this card was for you to be able to 'plan' for a better attack next turn. Maybe we should promote this to be the rare.

Hmm, I still think it would be too powerful. I know what you mean about those types of hands, but the ability to KO your shield guys so fast is in itself incredibly strong. Imagine a deck with ONLY non-starter cards. All your turns are explosive. If we want to go with the theme of "preparing for a better next turn"

How about:

Cost: 5
Ability: KO a hero card from your hand, if you do you may KO Careful Considerations. At the end of your turn when you draw a new hand of cards, return Careful Considerations from the KO pile to your hand.

Quote:

The original version was to truly show the difference between the Astonishing Spiderman and the Superior Spiderman. I think what you've put down right now is great for Spiderman, but not Superior Spiderman. Superior Spiderman sacrifices things for power, and he's not a very good team player. (idk from the other comics, I only read spiderman so far) That's why I also didn't have 800 eyes adjust the hero deck, because that promotes better 'teamwork' amongst the HQ pool.

Maybe we can have this KO a Hero from the HQ instead. Then I would think it'd be more fitting.

For multiplayer, this card can also gain power from KO'ing cards from other player's hands.

I see what you're saying. I like your small yet effective tweak. Instead of gaining the hero, KO it instead. With the KO, I would make it 6 or less to allow you to get a bit more reach, and increase cost to 8.

The card would be:

Cost: 8
Ability: KO a Hero card from the HQ of 6 or less cost. The Superior Spiderman gains fight equal to that card's cost.

I think having no recruit cards in Superior Spiderman's deck would be very fitting of his theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.