Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Ra» Forums » Rules

Subject: RA, playing first game tomorrow, 3 questions please...... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got my hands on this and after reading the rules I know it will be worth the wait, just like GOA. So much strategy for a simple auction and set collection game.

Only 3 questions after reading:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?

(I understand the rest of the auction but for this, the rule says "each player, in turn, may bid one of their face up suns, then each bid after must be higher", nothing more about my two points that I can see)

2. When scoring floods and niles, is it one point for each one OR one point for each pair, it looks like the first choice but it isn't totally clear and I want to be sure. I do see you must have at least one flood to score.

3. Since I'm asking, when you take a drought tile, if you have 2 floods and 3 niles you MUST give up both floods? No matter what it is only 2 tiles in total not 2 floods and 2 niles yes?

Thanks in advance. J
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?


No. You get one chance to bid.
jayjonbeach wrote:

(I understand the rest of the auction but for this, the rule says "each player, in turn, may bid one of their face up suns, then each bid after must be higher", nothing more about my two points that I can see)


Right, after someone bids, you have to bid higher or pass... bidding less doesn't do anything.

jayjonbeach wrote:

2. When scoring floods and niles, is it one point for each one OR one point for each pair, it looks like the first choice but it isn't totally clear and I want to be sure. I do see you must have at least one flood to score.


One for each. One flood and 10 niles will score 11.

jayjonbeach wrote:

3. Since I'm asking, when you take a drought tile, if you have 2 floods and 3 niles you MUST give up both floods? No matter what it is only 2 tiles in total not 2 floods and 2 niles yes?


You MUST give up floods first. You only lose 2 total.

-JEEP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RA, playing first game tomorrow, 3 questions please.....
jeep wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?


No. You get one chance to bid.
Right, this is a "once-around" action. Also, you will never have 2 players with the same bid. There is only a single sun token with each value. If you bid the #8 sun token...then nobody else has it, so nobody else can bid an 8.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jeep wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?


No. You get one chance to bid.
Right, this is a "once-around" action. Also, you will never have 2 players with the same bid. There is only a single sun token with each value. If you bid the #8 sun token...then nobody else has it, so nobody else can bid an 8.


I don't have a copy of the game, but have played several times. Each time I have been told the bidding goes around and around until only one person is left. Therefore it is not a "once-around". For example:
Player A - bids his 3,000 tile
Player B - bids 5,000
Player C - passes
Player D - bids 7,000 (whish is the one who started the auction by invoking RA or drawing a RA tile)
(The bidding does not stop here, but continues)
Player A - now takes his 3,000 tile back & bids his 9,000
Player B - passes and gets his 5,000 back
Player C - can not bid, already passed
Player D - bids 10,000
(Player A & D keep bidding until one passes)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RA, playing first game tomorrow, 3 questions please.....
TMJJS wrote:
wmshub wrote:
jeep wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?


No. You get one chance to bid.
Right, this is a "once-around" action. Also, you will never have 2 players with the same bid. There is only a single sun token with each value. If you bid the #8 sun token...then nobody else has it, so nobody else can bid an 8.


I don't have a copy of the game, but have played several times. Each time I have been told the bidding goes around and around until only one person is left. Therefore it is not a "once-around". For example:
Player A - bids his 3,000 tile
Player B - bids 5,000
Player C - passes
Player D - bids 7,000 (whish is the one who started the auction by invoking RA or drawing a RA tile)
(The bidding does not stop here, but continues)
Player A - now takes his 3,000 tile back & bids his 9,000
Player B - passes and gets his 5,000 back
Player C - can not bid, already passed
Player D - bids 10,000
(Player A & D keep bidding until one passes)


No, this isn't right, you only go round once, once you bid thats it, you get no second chance.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replys. I did find that the first question was the one the least clear in the rules. I suppose you could play both ways but I sure want to know the intended way. Both points really matter to, if you pass and can't bid after passing (like powergrid) it would make a huge difference.

Also, what I meant by the same for 2 players was a 2 player game, since only 2 people are bidding. If the first person passes, the other player would get the goods for the cheapest sun tile he has and not be able to bid again because he passed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
As most of the others have stated, you only get one bid. I never thought this was unclear in the English rules, but I don't know if they reworded a bit for the new version. I have the older English version, but originally learned the rules from the German edition - so it may be badly worded even in the older version and I just never noticed.

In general, if you see the construct "each player, in turn, does X" in anything translated from the German, it is going to mean once around. If you see a sentence like "Next, each player, in turn, draws one card." it wouldn't mean you keep going around drawing cards. Likewise, "each player, in turn, bids one sun" is a once around auction.

I hope you have a fantastic time with this great game. This is the game that convinced me that the auction mechanism could be fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
TMJJS wrote:
wmshub wrote:
jeep wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

1. In an auction, can someone bid more than once and also can someone bid after passing? Also will 2 player be the same?


No. You get one chance to bid.
Right, this is a "once-around" action. Also, you will never have 2 players with the same bid. There is only a single sun token with each value. If you bid the #8 sun token...then nobody else has it, so nobody else can bid an 8.


I don't have a copy of the game, but have played several times. Each time I have been told the bidding goes around and around until only one person is left. Therefore it is not a "once-around". For example:
Player A - bids his 3,000 tile
Player B - bids 5,000
Player C - passes
Player D - bids 7,000 (whish is the one who started the auction by invoking RA or drawing a RA tile)
(The bidding does not stop here, but continues)
Player A - now takes his 3,000 tile back & bids his 9,000
Player B - passes and gets his 5,000 back
Player C - can not bid, already passed
Player D - bids 10,000
(Player A & D keep bidding until one passes)


No, this isn't right, you only go round once, once you bid thats it, you get no second chance.



I can't wait till the next time I play since I have played it wrong with at least 3 different people who taught the rules. It will be interesting to see for myself how clear the rules are and where the confusion comes from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: RA, playing first game tomorrow, 3 questions please.....
Brad, thanks for the clarification. We have been playing it that way -- I guess the question never came up because when the auction starts, you bid or you pass. Subsequent bids must be higher which makes sense. No where in the rules does it indicate that you would retract a previous bid to play another. I would think that if that were the case, then it would be so specified. I think your clarification of the translation from the german is very helpful.

I love this game, even though I've only won it once! It is one of the few games I can get my wife to play consistently!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replys. We played our first game and it played very well except for the end game, we pulled 5 RA tiles in a row!

The rule in my question 1 wasn't really unclear like I said but it was left open for interpretation. However, what I didn't notice until today was on the side of the instructions in the summary area, there was a clarification saying each player has ONE chance to bid during an auction. Late night rule reading will do that to ya... snore
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replys. We played our first game and it played very well except for the end game, we pulled 5 RA tiles in a row!


Yeah, you might want to get used to that. If you've had a lot of tiles get churned in the first two epochs then the last one can really race by quickly. I've seen people bid on single civilization tiles with only a couple of Ra's showing just so they don't get caught without them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.