Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. Bought it after seeing it here on BGG. I am just curious what is your tendency during the set up.

Goalie, guy at the center cirle, 01 striker and 01 defender to help the keeper seem pretty logical to me. The question is, what to do with the fifth player?

I tend to place it on defense between the midfielder and the other defender. I feel it helps me protect the goal and makes it easier to position the players to create the plays.

How do you guys do it?meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Depends on whether I am playing at Little Golem or YourturnMyturn or face to face.

For LG, yellow always moves first and knows the initial roll - so set up by roll that I have.

For YTMT and F2F, don't know the roll, but like to have at least one player next to the player in the center circle for those times that the initial kick-off is a "1" which is likely to hapen about a third of the time.

A standard set up for me is goalie, center guy, one guy between the two. The last two are placed on the mid-line, in the opponent's half. One adjacent to the center guy, the other on the other side. Gives me defense and coverage across the field so that the left/right wings aren't open initially:

1meeple11meeple1
111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. It looks like a very good set up to start the game. The 2 open players (wingers) make me a little worried that it would be difficult to have them in a good position for a line of passes to try to score. Isn't that a problem when you play?meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to place the offensive player a knight's move away from my center circle player and then place two defenders at the top of the penalty area.

I used to place a player in the box but found that my opponents would dump the ball onto the side that I was weak on and this usually led to me playing defense and then giving up the first goal.

I don't know why it seems I'm always the player to set up first on Little Golem. I wonder if there is some internet god that has it out for me.

I think early on a player has to keep defenders spread across his side until he can drive the ball deep into his forward area and then go chase it and apply pressure. The first 10 moves are often the most dangerous for both players. There is a lot of open space to launch attacks through. I think it is mandatory that a player defend first and then look to attack. Better to make a move that will totally deny an opponent a chance to score than make a shot that offers a chance at an attack at the cost of giving your opponent a chance to score on his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Ronaldo wrote:
The 2 open players (wingers) make me a little worried that it would be difficult to have them in a good position for a line of passes to try to score.

If the ball were deep by my goal line, then yes it is harder to score, but if my guys were all lined up, that would mean I would be thin on defense also. Remember, one can score from the midline with a 5 and a single player directly. Therefore, while having a forward player to pass the ball into the net is nice, it isn't always necessary.

As the game develops, my guys assume a different posture - more along the lines of what you state, they just don't start that way as I don't know whether I am kicking the ball first or second. If I am too far forward and the other player gets the kick-off, my defense is shot and I need to equalize first.

So in short - no, I don't find this set-up to be troublesome at all. In fact, would be happy to play a game online at either LittleGolem or at YourTurnMyTurn if you are interested to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
In fact, would be happy to play a game online at either LittleGolem or at YourTurnMyTurn if you are interested to do so.

That would be great! I will try to register (I believe it is necessary) in one of these sites later this week. Not that I challenge what you are saying at all, I just think it would be fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Depends on whether I am playing at Little Golem or YourturnMyturn or face to face.

For LG, yellow always moves first and knows the initial roll - so set up by roll that I have.

Holy crap. I've played 167 games on Little Golem, and didn't know the initial roll is viewable before the setup.

Doh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishnakumar M
India
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Richard, I mostly start with the following setup

Can you please analyse?

-----OPPOSITE GOAL-----------------
111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11
-----MY GOAL-------------------------

This actually helps to score faster than the opposition. But I am just a beginner, a noob. Please comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When StreetSoccer started on Littlegolem, that was a common choice. Later more people started like RPardoe above showed, when I won the first Championships with that (stronger midfield) set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishnakumar_M01 wrote:

Can you please analyse?

111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11

This actually helps to score faster than the opposition. But I am just a beginner, a noob. Please comment.

With respect for your newness, if you tried that set-up with me, I wouldn't play you. Having your striker one space in front of my goal is goal-hanging. It's impossible for me to defend my goal and in the fair play section of the rules, it says don't start there. If a player ended up in the position as a result of game play (if I left the ball there and you moved to kick it), fair enough, that's my mistake. But there's no way I'd let you begin with a player inside my penalty area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Krishnakumar_M01 wrote:

Can you please analyse?

111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11
11meeple111
111meeple11

With respect for your newness, if you tried that set-up with me, I wouldn't play you. Having your striker one space in front of my goal is goal-hanging. It's impossible for me to defend my goal and in the fair play section of the rules, it says don't start there. If a player ended up in the position as a result of game play (if I left the ball there and you moved to kick it), fair enough, that's my mistake. But there's no way I'd let you begin with a player inside my penalty area.

No, you can start there (and many do). The fair-play (anti-kill-joy) section doesn't tell anything about it. But you will not win much with a player there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.