Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Mage Knight I hear alot of bad things regarding all their games being rushed out the door and incomplete (Quarriors and LotR Dice Building for 2 examples)?

Just curious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight has plenty of issues too. Pretty much every publisher makes mistakes, and WizKids is still pretty new to the game.

I'm not very happy about their plans for the next couple of years, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only they would stop trying to shoehorn their stupid Clix bullshit into every game they made...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Topps-Wizkids and Neca-Wizkids might as well be two different companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
If only they would stop trying to shoehorn their stupid Clix bullshit into every game they made...

Considering their lineup for this year is nothing but Quarriors re-themes, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Considering their lineup for this year is nothing but Quarriors re-themes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure they will find a way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Topps-Wizkids and Neca-Wizkids might as well be two different companies.

I do believe this is the case. EA Canada and EA US, while under the EA umbrella, are 2 completely different design studios. I guess Topps and NECA fall into the same presmise.

I love Mage Knight. Sure it also has its issues but at least they dont retread the same issues into a new rehash of a game like Quarriors/LotR (which IMHO are both rushed). Quarriors introduced cursed dice and has since abandoned it. I sold my copy because the game just felt rushed and not playtested at all. They then made another expansion and changes the rules and added the BGG created variant of culling to the "official" rules 2.0.

Then they made LotR which seemed to have been a repasted Quarriors with one addition of semi-coop. That has typoes in it which were ripped directly from Quarriors cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
At least that explains how Magic: The Gathering continues to succeed despite being a total ongoing rip-off with artificially inflated prices and retail store collusion.shake

Magic: The Gathering continues to succeed because it has an incredibly talented design team behind it making sure that the game is one of the best games out there.

The fact that it costs a lot of money to keep playing, is another issue. However, one could argue that it needs that to support the first...

EDIT - To avoid any misunderstandings: I haven't played Magic for many years but I tend to keep reading every now and then about it, especially articles on design. That's where my opinion comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:
I wouldn't support them if it wasn't for the fact that Mage Knight is an awesome game. I have to decide at that point between supporting great design and mediocre production. Looks like I went for great design.

Same here. I only like Mage Knight and the expansion. I haven't bought anything else from them since the Quarriors fiasco. I wanted it to work so badly and kept hoping they would expand on the corrupted dice... never happened, never bought a game other than MK since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I support them and will continue to support them because Quarriors is awesome. I really don't care that the dice are kinda crap, as while better components are great, better dice would make it too expensive for me to try out in the first place.

But hey, I care about games I enjoy, even if I do have to run a couple houserules and have imperfect components....It's better than having fantastic components with an unfix-able game.

------------------------------------------------------
Addendum September 2014:

I'm less of a fan now that I'm more into the hobby having played a wider array of games. Some of the fantastic entries in my collection, such as Viticulture & Euphoria from Stonemaier games, have made me realize how much I appreciate fantastic quality of components, leaving me less happy when I get subpar stuff.

I still think Wizkids are a good company and if they come out with a game that I really like the look of I'm in, but certainly not going to bite on their collectable game models they seem obsessed with!

Real shame about quarriors though...could have stayed vaguelly interesting to me if they just made the expansions properly inter-compatible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I've had it with their entire business model for their competitive games. HeroClix, Dicemasters, Attack Wing, etc. It's all about the exclusive promos. The more rare something is, the better it is. It's not a matter of these cards being slightly better, they are always a LOT better.

They want their customers to chase things... so that they can make more money.

I don't begrudge them the business model, I just refuse to participate in it any longer.

There are plenty of game companies that focus instead on solid gameplay and balanced tournament environments, rather than gimmicks and exclusive/chase items.

If you add on their con presence and customer service woes... the choice is clear, at least to me. No more WK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple of small boxes full of Heroclix. I started playing a couple of years ago just so I could join in the competition with my mates at our club.

I like Heroclix as a game if just played for fun. But the power creep is considerable and playing against competition squads with their cheesy combos is just not my idea of fun, hence I've stopped playing.

One thing I've never been happy with though is the quality. Sure, there are a few great looking figures. But for every good one there are a dozen horrible ones. And then there are the other quality control problems. Super Rare Borg Cube - Broken. Super Rare Avengers Team - Broken. Star Trek: Fleet Captains is by far my favourite Wizkids products. It's an £80.00 board game... one ship was broke and half of the cards were missing making the game unplayable(although their customer services were quick to replace the cards).

And more recently Wizkids are making the new D&D miniatures. Have you seen the starter?! OMG I have never seen such terrible minis. Not buying those and I certainly won't buy any of the random boosters.

I really wanted to buy the new D&D Dragon combat game, but if the D&D minis is anything to go by, no thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Herbert
United States
Cedar Rapids
Ia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to admit it I really like Star Trek Attack Wing: mostly because it is easy enough to get players to try (especially if they already know X-wing) and just meaty enough to be fun and interesting. Saying that I don't tourney. Not for Magic, not for Heroclix, not for any of it. I could give a crap about special "exclusives" I cannot think of a single game where exclusives have aided in the long term viability of the game. It's more often door prizes that you get to pay for kind of crap. as for Heroclix, it was indeed a novel idea, but marred by the tournament mentality, and the collectable bug. I much prefer keeping all players on an even keel. This is the primary reason I don't play much of what wizkids offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If there were a Wiz Kids anti-fan microbadge, I'd buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:
If there were a Wiz Kids anti-fan microbadge, I'd buy it.

Over text, "WIZKIDS - Who needs quality control!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad with what I have been hearing about WizKids lately. I was heavily into MageKnight and MechWarriors game before Topps bought them. I had no complaint about the quality of the miniatures during those times because the quality kept on getting better with each expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.