Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It seems like a lot of the changes help the Soviets. But maybe just because I've mainly played the early scenarios ...

2) The new strategic reserve is brutal, but I didn't realize (until this AM) that it should only apply to the campaign and Barbarossa.

3) When I first played Battle Cry, a consensus (among my friends) is that "All Out Assault" was too huge a swing. Now, Richard Borg had made a game where kids may wind up playing their fathers, so a big game changer of luck is on order. But when you are on the receiving end of Hitler's Interference + Another Cancel Card + a Major Offensive you begin to wonder if you are playing a wargame or a slow card game. While that experience was an outlier (and I got dice luck to mitigate some of it) I've been tempted to go through and try to "Tone Down" some of the more powerful cards. Am I alone?

I like the cards ... I like the fog of war they give. They should all be situationally unbalancing ... but an always useful card that lets you draw a replacement is just better.

4) I still like the game, despite getting trounced at Saturn (conceding before the Axis last turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a couple of games against two superb players recently, and they managed to both play the major offensive cards, and use other cards to retrieve them from the deck, so that they were immediately used again the following turn, and while holding cancels to disable any attempt I made to prevent this. They were playing with 8-10 card hands in some cases multiple turns in a row.

At a high level of play "working the deck" is the difference between winning and losing. Like you, I feel it is a bit too much at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Offensive 4 times in 7 turns was fun for one side, anyway :-) Once by design (I was holding Stavka for the right moment) and once by luck (drew Stavka with my major offensive draw and didn't get a weather/reshuffle card).

Deck management is a lot easier in NR than Paths of Glory, I think. Or Twilight Struggle. There's only a few types of cards that you have to keep track of - the movement cards, cancel cards, Siege guns card, major/summer offensive card, and the draw the top discard cards. Maybe Wave Assault too. They're worth holding for the opportune time (and or holding to deny them to your opponent). And maybe a little bit of cardhandling at the initiative turnover.

And you can keep the opponent cycling his cards while your side has the initiative, a lot of the time, by keeping a steady stream of enemy units going to the destroyed box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... If you don't like the effect of the two "Major/summer Offensive" cards (there is one for the Soviet and one for the Germans) just remove them from the deck. I think they are important to the game, but you might think otherwise. These can be canceled too, and there are many "cancelling" cards in the deck!

The one card I could probably change if there is a new edition is the German card allowing you to get any one card in the discard deck: it's a bit powerful but more importantly it's a hassle to have one player look at everything in the discard pile to fish one specific card. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakfed wrote:

And you can keep the opponent cycling his cards while your side has the initiative, a lot of the time, by keeping a steady stream of enemy units going to the destroyed box.

Yes, but that factor lacked the subtlety of your other tactics. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Well... If you don't like the effect of the two "Major/summer Offensive" cards (there is one for the Soviet and one for the Germans) just remove them from the deck. I think they are important to the game, but you might think otherwise. These can be canceled too, and there are many "cancelling" cards in the deck!

The one card I could probably change if there is a new edition is the German card allowing you to get any one card in the discard deck: it's a bit powerful but more importantly it's a hassle to have one player look at everything in the discard pile to fish one specific card. modest

Just to be clear. It doesn't bother me that there are "major offensive" cards. It bothers me that some cards are Major Offensive Cards, or "Cancel your opponents card and draw a card" and others are much more limited. "Ooh, I can get an armor shift against armor! If it's not mud or spring."

The variability bothers me. Particularly when you have Iron Cross/Red Star cards that are unplayable. One side could literally get a bunch of do-nothing cards (except for the standard uses) and the other gets major offensives, etc.

All this talk of hand management? You draw 4 cards a turn. If you draw poor cards, good play will help you overcome it, but it won't turn them into great cards. Hand management matters when you draw 4 OK cards and have to decide which to use as events and which to use as CBs, Replacements, Organizing, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more to it than that. You have to wait for the "exceptional" cards and know how to maximize their impact, because in all likelihood you will get at least some of them. And if you don't, well there's the next campaigning season. War isn't predictable.

The variability of the cards keeps the unexpected high. Has your opponent got a "killer" card or just a bunch of fluff he is saving for CBs? If the cards had homogeneous usefulness a major aspect of the game would be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:

All this talk of hand management? You draw 4 cards a turn. If you draw poor cards, good play will help you overcome it, but it won't turn them into great cards. Hand management matters when you draw 4 OK cards and have to decide which to use as events and which to use as CBs, Replacements, Organizing, etc.

My brain works quite the opposite.
In my play, managing the cards become far more important, and difficult, if the cards are poor. If my cards are all great, there is little to manage or think about.
IMHO, in NR as well as in other favorites of mine (like Empire of the Sun), it is often how you handle poor hands, that decide whether you win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.