Raid on St. Nazaire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Massive explosion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Raid on St Nazaire and it's 0210 turn.
Campbeltown rammed 111 a few turns ago and was scuttled with two surviving crew evacuated to Boyd's boat.
Since then Campbeltown has drawn predesignated fire and was set afire last turn. Also last turn a German 6 strength unit has moved to 111 and had to cease movement. This turn a predesignated shot at Campbeltown has given another FIRE result so she has exploded in situ.
What now happens at game end, can 111 still be attacked with the demo charges?
If not does the exploding boat destroy the caisson also will this have any effect on the German unit?
If the Campbeltown has failed I assume a demo commando can blow the caisson with charges?
I have initiated a house rule in this instance and have removed Campbeltown and had a roll for losses on the German unit as if attacked by grenades. This seems feasible and more realistic considering the unit is in the same area.
Look forward to hearing back ASAP so I can continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa..

I think your find,once Campbeltown is scuttled and abandoned she cant be targeted anymore !!!
8.2 in rulebook .
once ALL CREW are either killed or picked up,the campbeltown will draw no further DDF.

everything shoots at moving stuff trying to stop'em shake

Campbeltown blows up end of game..nothing else once scuttled AND abandoned.

cheerio

mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Palmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that rule now, thanks mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nescaff wrote:
...can 111 still be attacked with the demo charges?

You can do that during the game, of course. It may damage the caisson, making its eventual destruction by Campbeltown's charges more (or entirely, must look up the drms) certain; this may be important if you do not manage to scuttle Campbeltown, thus losing that drm. However, contrary to history, the game has no demolition group assigned to #111 as its primary target, so your best chance is probably to burden poor Chant with the task if he dispatches the pump house quickly.
Historically, the demolition group tasked with the southern caisson was dispatched to help destroying the northern one as soon as it was certain that Campbeltown was fast on the caisson and scuttled. In the game both groups (Brett and Burtinshaw) are wrapped together in the BRETT demolition group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a shame that BRETT doesn't get Burtinshaw's demo charges added in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Campbeltown does not explode if she receives another 'FIRE' result. 7.12, sentence 4 (same sentence that says that a second FIRE result causes an explosion; Campbeltown is listed as the Exception)

It's possibly due to that a) she is a Destroyer, much bigger than the other small boats, and with the fuel oil stowed below-decks in proper storage tanks, and b) the smaller boats (or most of them anyway) had auxiliary petrol tanks strapped to the decks in order to cope with the long voyage. This made them a huge fire risk and is part of the reason, I think, why they are so easy to set on fire and explode in the game. Historically, this was certainly the case. Sure, the tanks were self-sealing, but this don't help all that much if the hit is from a 20mm cannon shell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.