Subject: EDIT What boardgames play well for 2 to 4 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OT OT
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there...

I like some recommendatoins for boardgames that play well with 2 till 4 players.
Dont like the luck element of dice or so because i mostly throw crap.

Games im thinking of are:
1 Terra Mystica
2 Caylus
3 Tzolk'in
4 Village
5 Troyes
6 Luna

Thanks for replying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What boardgames play well for 2 to 5 player
Of the ones on your list, I've only played Troyes. It only plays up to 4, and a lot of people don't like it with 4. Personally, I've only played 2p, and I think that works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I haven't played any of ths games you're thinking of, but I do know that Troyes involves dice pretty heavily. I've looked at your 'owned' list, and you give good ratings to many of the same games I do. So, if I may recommend something NOT on your list, you might enjoy a game called Hermagor. It's a connection style game where you must obtain products to sell each turn by placing buyers in the marketplace. Then you have one salseman who traverses the map selling those products to towns that need them. It's very strategic, has no dice, and is designed for 3 to 5 players. There's a 2-player variant included in the rules that works very well...my wife and I play it as a 2P game very often. Do some homework on the game...I think you'll really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Arctic Scavengers. Granted as the designer I am a little biased, but the game is designed to support 2-5 and plays very nicely with any of those player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you're trying to find a game that scales well for 2-5 players and does not have problems with either extreme. I'm not sure any of the games you have mentioned scale perfectly (except maybe Terra Mystica).

That said some recommendations for games that are just as good with 2 as with 5:

Lords of Waterdeep- nice balance with the number of agents.
Carcassonne- a classic, and very fun with 2 as well (albeit a bit more cutthroat).
Ticket to Ride- actually very fun at all player counts because of the track limits, although I would recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe for 5 and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for 2.

There are many more but I wouldn't want to deprive other BGGers of listing their favorites.

However I recommend avoiding auction games and dice games, as both typically flop at 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Of the ones on your list, I've only played Troyes. It only plays up to 4, and a lot of people don't like it with 4. Personally, I've only played 2p, and I think that works great.

I'm the same, I've only played Troyes from that list. However, I prefer it with more players (though I still find it a blast with 2), but yeah it only plays up to 4.

I'd recommend Glory to Rome for something that plays 2-5. I'd agree with this one too that it's better with more (4 or 5) than with fewer (2 or 3), but I still enjoy it with 2 or 3 people.

Other games I'd recommend for 2-5 (but involve dice) are Eclipse, Alien Frontiers (though I guess you need the expansion to play 5) and Galaxy Trucker (again, I think you need the first expansion to play 5, but it's really worth it). All of these are pretty solid even if dice hate you like they hate me - which is to say a LOT.

Galaxy Trucker is probably the swingiest of the lot, but having ships blow up is half the fun and smart building allows for ships that are more resistant to bad rolls. Eclipse uses dice for combat, but I find that outfitting your ships and picking your battles really mitigates a lot of dice hate. In Alien Frontiers, there's almost something you can do with your rolls, and there's lots of artifacts to collect that help you manipulate your dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is very good and the box says it plays 2 to 5, but I would not play it with 5.

Railways of the World plays great up to 6. It includes a smaller map in the box that plays very well with 2 or 3. The larger map plays 3 to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Of your list, I'd choose Caylus. (Village, Tzolk'in and Troyes are all max 4-player.)

Nearly all my gaming is with either just my wife and I, or the two of us plus our 3 kids (so games that work great for 2 and 5 are highly desired around here). Here are some suggestions of games I think are great with 2-players and great with 5-players:

Puerto Rico - originally only for 3-5, but the 2P rules are great
Dominant Species
Navegador
Le Havre - some argue that 5P is too many, we disagree
Agricola
Vanuatu - the official 2P variant works (surprisingly) very well
Last Will - why isn't this game more loved? it's just really good
Homesteaders - but 5P requires some PnP and a variant.
Comuni
Phoenicia - the auctions are great, even in 2-player
Cuba - with or without Cuba: El Presidente
Fürstenfeld - board looks a little empty in 2P, but it plays just fine
Carson City - in 2P, you get a lot more control over town development
Hacienda
Constantinopolis
In the Year of the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kessel10 wrote:
Hello there...

I like some recommendatoins for boardgames that play well with 2 till 5 players.
Dont like the luck element of dice or so because i mostly throw crap.

Games im thinking of are:
1 Terra Mystica
2 Caylus
3 Tzolk'in
4 Village
5 Troyes
6 Luna

Thanks for replying

sticking with the list you provided my vote would be for Village. You will need to wait for the expansion in order to play 5 players, but it is a beautifully designed game. I scales really well. Right now it is one of my favorite games. There is a luck element in that you draw the cubes blind but once they are drawn you know what is out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said about your list.

Some other games worth looking at:
Keyflower
Ground Floor (can be a bit long with 5)
Kings of Air and Steam
Ticket to Ride: Märklin (I think this one plays scales better than other TtR games, plus it's a bit deeper)
Snowdonia
Notre Dame
Navegador
Endeavor (with either the official 2p variant or friendly variant)
Cuba (we play with a posted variant to balance shipping for 2p) (and Cuba is best with El Presidente)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
1 for:
Railways of the World
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride

Also:

Agricola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another few to consider:
Airlines Europe
Steam
7 Wonders

Also look into Rialto coming soon. Not many Stefan Feld games go up to 5 players, but Rialto does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
Small World
Mansions of Madness
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Glory to Rome.

It was mentioned once above, and I thought about suggesting it too. A lot of people don't seem to enjoy it with 2-players, however, so I didn't mention it. Having said that, my wife and I enjoy it with two just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:

Both of these (especially 7 Wonders) have 2P variants which impact the feel of the game enough to almost make it a different game.

(This is the reason I didn't recommend Genoa... even though my wife and I like the 2-player game, it's really a different experience than with 5 players. Florenza is similar, only Florenza is just really hard to play with 5 players, but excellent with just two.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More plays 2-5. It's a great game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Temple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker - Amazing game, if you're able to pick up this anniversary edition it has both expansions, so the 5player rules are included (Standard is just 4 player max)

Zombicide - Everyone I've played this with absolutely loves it, including me. 4 players is a bit of a horrible number (Unless you like it difficult ) but 2,3 & 5 work great =)

Tsuro - Love this at the moment, simple and quick! Playing with 2 has you feeling a bit like you need more players but it is quite amusing having cat & mouse chases around the board trying to knock each other off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2p Puerto Rico once and hated it. There should always be an intervening turn between a person's turns but in 2p, one person will play back-to-back on the last action of one turn and first action of the next.

It is only 2-4p but Through the Ages is great for any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rantinronrevue wrote:
Well, I haven't played any of ths games you're thinking of, but I do know that Troyes involves dice pretty heavily.

"Involves" - ? Yes. But it's pretty hard to be THAT unlucky in Troyes. If you roll a bunch of 1's and 2's, just spend four influence points (=/= VP) to flip them to 6's and 5's (respectively)...

That said, I love Troyes and would NOT recommend it for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Ginkgopolis play's really well at any number of players from 2 to 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III
+1 Endeavor (there's a good official 2-player variant here on BGG...and there's also a good unofficial one as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Village is fantastic but only goes to four players , Manhattan project is really good and it goes to five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Soto
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My votes:
Through the Desert
In the Year of the Dragon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.