10 Posts

San Juan» Forums » General

Subject: Citadels & San Juan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Ive read that citadels borrowed the character selection and museum district from san juan. I like citadels quite a bit but the districts could use more strategy.

So how's san juan compared to citadels? Or should I aim at puerto rico?

How important is the language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels pre-dates San Juan by quite a few years, so it didn't borrow from San Juan.

Citadels has much more luck and chaos than San Juan; the selection of roles and (especially) the random nature of the Assassin's assassinations and the Thief's thefts make the game quite unpredictable. San Juan has luck (in the card draws) but feels much more like a game of using your resources most efficiently.

Puerto Rico is a great game. I love all three of these, but Puerto Rico is my favorite.

Language is not an issue for any of them (get the rules in your language.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Citadels uses the "draft the roles" mechanic of Verrater (Mr Faidutti told that he was looking for a proper mechaninc to assign the characters, as the rest of the game was done, and after he played to Verrater he knew THAT one would have been the rule for his game as well).
The drafting in Citadels is hidden (bluff and outguessing), the one in San Juan is open (tactical).
The buildings ARE San Juan, while the characters (and their selection) make Citadels.
Very different games. Get San Juan, it's really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
True, the char selection comes from verrater, not san juan.

Assassin & thief attacking randomly?? You surely missed the tactics here.

Im afraid puerto rico will be too complex and too big to take on holidays or to have a quick game. San juan looks more fitting, but it's not visually attractive compared to citadels or PR.

There seems to be quit a lot of text on the SJ cards; are you sure language doesnt matter much?

Like said, building is very basic in citadels. What counts are the characters. Is it true to think that buildings is much more strategic in SJ but characters still play a vital role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Assassin & thief attacking randomly?? You surely missed the tactics here.

It doesn't matter how acutely you observe the game, how deeply you understand the rules and strategies, or how intimately you know your opponents' objectives and thought processes. Unless you have X-Ray vision, there is randomness in the Thief and Assassin attacks. Your statement seems a little confrontational for someone soliciting advice.

-xXx- wrote:
There seems to be quit a lot of text on the SJ cards; are you sure language doesnt matter much?

It will take a little getting used to if you're not a native speaker of the language printed on the cards, but you memorize them after a while. I know because I learned the game in German, and my skills in that language are choppy at best.

-xXx- wrote:
Like said, building is very basic in citadels. What counts are the characters. Is it true to think that buildings is much more strategic in SJ but characters still play a vital role?

Vital, but very different. In Citadels, the roles are more closely associated with players. Each role attaches to a player taking his turn, where he builds, draws income, and so forth. And a key part of the role selection is the ordering of those turns. In San Juan, the roles are attached to the activity. When you build, everybody gets to build. When you trade, everybody gets to trade. So it's the ordering of the activities that is important. Player order, for that matter, is predetermined in San Juan.

I love San Juan, but I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that at least half of the time, the role you should select is so plain and obvious as to be a non-decision. More important is the buildings. What to keep, what to toss, when to build. Imagine Citadels where every building is a purple building with special powers. That's San Juan. Putting those buildings together in efficient ways, working within the subtleties of the role selection, is how you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Citadels pre-dates San Juan by quite a few years, so it didn't borrow from San Juan.

I had got the impression that Bruno Faidutti thought that Citadels had been borrowed from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
x X wrote:

All the cards are explained in the rule book. Some of the fine points are mentioned in the rule book and not on the cards themselves. For this reason, you'll have to learn what the cards do from the rule book anyway.

I got my copy of the game in English and learned it that way. When I originally tried San Juan on BSW, all the cards were in German. It didn't make any difference, as I could see the pictures and that was enough to bring the function of the card to mind.

Some people will be naturally wary of a game where the cards are printed in a foreign language, and I've certainly played games where it's an issue, but I haven't had a problem with San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Citadels new expansion, "The Dark City," has definitely borrowed some ideas from San Juan, and they work very well!

The Wishing Well is a lot like the City Hall, giving an extra poitn for every other purple building.

The Park & the Poor House resemble the Poor House.

The Factory reduces the cost of future purple buildings (similar to the Quarry(?))

Finally, the Museum lets you stash cards under it for endgame points, shades of the (EDIT) Chapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
drasher25 wrote:
Finally, the Museum lets you stash cards under it for endgame points, shades of the Library.

Isn't that the chapel in san juan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I just purchased Citadels after owning San Juan first. I enjoy both games thoroughly but I'd rather play Citadels which seems to have much more social interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.