Subject: Sci-fi movies become real! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Federico Luison
Italy
Camisano Vicentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! My name is Federico and this is my first review.
Sorry in advance for my poor english, I hope you’ll find this review interesting.
I’ve played Galaxy Defenders on Saturday, 3 hours of fun and fast-paced action with 4 friends at Play 2013.

COMPONENTS
Galaxy Defenders comes in a WotR's sized box with lots of tokens, impressive minis and 10 custom dice.
Tokens will be shaped (bullets, hearts and so on).

SETUP
Setup is surprisingly fast and easy, requiring 5-10 minutes.
You must prepare the Aliens Deck with the cards of aliens that will show up during the game.
The Event Deck contains cards that are drawn (once per turn) and represents the flow of the mission you must accomplish (as seen before in Legends of Andor).
There are some key events mixed with other minor events: the story is always the same, but the random order of these minor events grants a more unpredictable game.
There is a Close-Encounter Deck, too, describing which kind of alien must be activated during the alien turn.
Put some tokens on the board, choose your agents and you are ready for the action!

AGENTS
They are cool and really well represented with well defined roles.
Hulk is though, very hard to beat and powerful, a wall of flesh against the enemy fire.
Biotech can heal his friends with a ranged attack, he is supported by a turret and a drone (very useful in combat). It was my agent during the game.
Infiltrator is a deadly agent, she can hit very hard in close combat and she’s virtually invisible. She’s really fast and can easily accomplish a rescue mission while the other agents keep the aliens busy.
Marine is very useful: with special grenades he can stun the aliens or block their LoS.
Sniper is weak, but his shotgun has an awesome range, so you can stay back and support the other agents from a safer position.
Every agent has got 2 weapons:
1st - Powerful but with limited ammo
2nd - Weaker but with endless ammo
No fear about loss of ammo!
Every turn you can perform a Search action to gain 1 ammo or 1 life point.
And you can still attack, so don’t save your ammo and go for kicking some alien ass

THE GAME
Every turn you must elect a leader (Alpha agent) that will guide the team.
Choose him carefully, it’s a very important choice because alien activation can change!
Alpha agent is the 1st player, then the turn order moves clockwise.
The flow of the game is simple:

- 1st player turn
- Aliens turn
- 2nd player turn
- Aliens turn

And so on.
During the aliens turn you must play a card from the Close-Encounter Deck and activate the aliens, following the instructions printed on the card.
Starting from the Alpha agent, every agent take care of an alien type, so the management of them is equally divided.
Aliens are well organized, with a stunning I.A.:
Xeno-Grey is a evil-minded leader that use his minions keeping back, redirecting damage and teleporting more and more aliens on the battlefield.
Aracnos are fast, with a web that can paralize you, while Xeno-Alpha don’t like close combat too much, keeping away from the heart of the battle and using their long range weapons.
Xeno-Beta are painfully strong, while Nexus are simply “one-ticket-to-hell” guys: slow, heavy armoured and capable to hit everyone with an overwhelming firepower.

When an agent have lost all his PF, he can only move 1 hex per turn: another hit and he’s gone.
At the end of the turn, you can try to promote your agent rolling 3 dice; in our mission everyone was promoted 2-3 times.
When you defeat an alien, you gain a piece of alien technology (max 1 piece per turn): every 4 pieces you can acquire a random device or weapon (you choose which kind of item).
Alien technology is hard to master: it’s powerful, but without training you’ll probably fail using it.
Some of the alien items are agent-related, others are generic.

The Event Deck is the “clock” of the game: missions lasts from 60’ to 120’, with few exceptions.
The game is well balanced, so the agents are always on the edge.
No problems with the leader, every player is a real hero: no Cinderella Syndrome, no 1st/2nd class agents. Players must work together and everyone is necessary for the mission!

Story mode is well developed, with multiple paths: if you fail your mission, next time aliens will kick you harder, if you play well, next mission will change.
Story keeps interesting, growing with the agents.

Minis are simply awesome: well defined and cool, heavy (we used metal figures) and huge.
There’s a lot of love for sci-fi movies inside this game!
And a lot of stunning ideas without too much complexity, too:

- LoS
Nobody block LoS, so you can fire at the enemy without worring about it.

- View
360° view, but if you wish you can adopt the Human View (180°) for a more realistic game. It’s all in your hands!

- Friendly Fire
Optional: if you like it, you’ll have it!

- Combat Rules
Very easy and streamlined: roll for your attack, apply your bonus and make your damage.
4 hits? Well, the enemy makes a defence roll with 4 dice.
One rule for all: Nexus, Xeno-Alpha, agents, etc.
Easy to learn, easy to remember!

There is so much that I left behind, but you’ll find it really soon: Kickstarter will bring us more and more, I’m very excited and for me Galaxy Defenders will be a blockbuster.
If you are looking for a game with deep strategy and a cinematic touch, Galaxy Defenders is your game. If you are not interested about this kind of games, keep an eye on it: you'll be surprised.

Here you can find the mission I’ve played at Play 2013.

http://www.galaxy-defenders.com/mission.php

Best regards
Federico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Luison
Italy
Camisano Vicentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrected some typos ^_^'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!! I will go on kickstarter by your fault!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a little like it might play like a table top version of X-Com which would be awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Sounds a little like it might play like a table top version of X-Com which would be awesome
That game already exists : Target Earth! But Galaxy Defenders is very different!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Luison
Italy
Camisano Vicentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders is a tribute to 80's, with hex grids, huge minis and a lot of homages to sci-fi movies (Alien, Men in Black, Predator, Star Wars and so on) wow
AND to X-Com, of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentervin73 wrote:
Galaxy Defenders is a tribute to 80's, with hex grids, huge minis and a lot of homages to sci-fi movies (Alien, Men in Black, Predator, Star Wars and so on) wow
AND to X-Com, of course
Love this description!! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Luison
Italy
Camisano Vicentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone have found this review interesting and is going to join the KS campaign, please consider to report at Ares my name (my nickname is Antonio in KS) as recruiter.
Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.