Hide
8 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Legal Starting position question (marked vs unmarked) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
Yes, I know. There are already plenty of them on here. That said, I searched through, and couldn't find this question. If I missed it, please forgive me!

With the exception of your own major cities (this is not a question about that though), a legal starting territory is "an unoccupied territory that has no marks (no scars or cities)" (page 7)

However, all the way back on page two, we're told that a territory is marked "when it has ANY (emphasis mine) sticker on it."

These two definitions of marks (scars or cities, vs any sticker) seem to collide when it comes to the winning reward of canceling a scar.

If there is a scar on a territory, and it is removed, there's clearly still a sticker on it (any sticker, and the cancel scar sticker is a sticker - that's why you don't just peel the scar off, right?), however, there's just as clearly not a scar on it (as per page 14)

I'm obviously overthinking this, but does a territory with a scar removal sticker on it count as marked or unmarked? ie is it a legal starting position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's actually a good question, I would assume the sticker is "removed" and you can legally start there now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my interpretation is that a territory with only a white sticker on it is considered unmarked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
See, my initial thought was that 'any sticker' would prevail, and that the 'scars or cities' was just to provide examples. (Since there's no 'only' in the rule.)

That said, my board is still unplayed, so I've no idea how either way would affect playability. It's all theoretical to me at this point.

I'm actually a bit surprised that this hasn't been clarified before. *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how many groups (like mine) loathe the white stickers? They "wipe clean" a bit of board that should have been marked forever.....and they look horrid too!

So maybe it hasn't come up before because so few people actually use them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yeah, would have been nice if they were done as 'rejuvenation scars' with some nice pictures of trees on or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fleece
United States
New Baltimore
MI
flag msg tools
Jesus Christ is Lord of my life.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i remember correctly the rules state that playing the sticker means the scar is destroyed, so that would leave me to believe it was unmarked. I could of sworn I had looked this up before and found that answer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.