Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy B
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm pretty new to this game. I own the core set and both Hobbit expansions. I've yet to crack to hobbit boxes though.

I beat the first scenario -- the "easy" scenario -- after 5 or 6 tries (first trying the tactics deck because that seemed cool [not possible for me] then finally with the leadership deck and a bit of the tactics deck sprinkled in [barely possible for me]).

Now, I've been getting slaughtered by one mean-ass troll and friends while on the river cruise. Oh, how I've suffered. I quickly learned to give up on the fantasy of "exploring" this world with the same deck from the first scenario through the last and ended up following Beorn's advice (from that Hall of Beorn guy [http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/]) and created a leadership/lore deck.

It's funny how Beorn hit on all the right cards when he playtested his deck. I haven't been lucky at all. As a matter of fact I've made the wrong decision at every turn and have pulled the wrong card at every draw. It's almost supernatural how bad it's been for me.

My wife has even threatened to throw the game away if I don't stop all the cussin'. I can't think of anything else to do but cuss though.

Anyway, with that off my chest, I'd like to say that I am looking forward to tackling that boat ride one more time tomorrow evening for the 6th night in a row. It might be taking a long time but I'm learning a little more each game and it's actually kind of fun.

Dang, what a blood bath!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the CardboardoftheRings guys had to play this one twice...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6agV3Ll1nNihJiCSotL0i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The gf and I have played it 7-8 times and lost every time. I think it is near impossible with only one core set. We still haven't beaten it but moved on so we wouldn't hate the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've beat the first two quests with the core cards a number of times. It's pretty common for players to play something a bit off from the rules until they realize it. Two things to also keep in mind is the premade decks are mediocre and you can improve on a deck for two players by adequately doing dual spheres. Usually it's best to mix a strong with a weak (Spirit with Tactics for example). Second, the game is a lot easier with the more players you have, so if you can actually get four players to give it a go you'll find it much more manageable. If you want you can also not deal shadow cards to enemies until you really get your playing style down, or better yet deal the shadow cards to the enemies but don't let them do what they say so you'll see how shadow cards can inadvertently remove awful cards from the enemies deck like When Revealed cards that can do awful damage to your heroes and allies.

If you have free time watch The Cardboard of the Rings play their games on YouTube as someone already suggested. It'll help see good strategies and you may notice some kind of rule you forgot to use that could make the game easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
you cannot atone for your sins with nightmares
WillFuqua wrote:

If you have free time watch The Cardboard of the Rings play their games on YouTube as someone already suggested. It'll help see good strategies and you may notice some kind of rule you forgot to use that could make the game easier.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the links, guys.
I'm jumping in and watching the episodes.
Likewise, I've only really played this solitaire, so it'll be good to confirm I'm playing correctly, especially the timing of phases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy Andy,

This is a TOUGH game to solo, but that's what makes it so sweet when you do get a win!

I posted my NOON experiences with Anduin about a year ago and this is one of the relevant posts:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/757265/a-beginners-journey-a...

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Fuqua
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Solo is pretty hard. A lot of gamers will play two players worth of cards either by having two distinct hands and their corresponding decks or some use a variant where they have 6 heroes, start with 12 cards, and draw two cards a round. If you would rather still play with only 3 heroes then consider the solo variant rules where the "ranged" keyword lets you attack enemies in the staging area like Dunhere and also where "sentinel" lets you combine their defense with another hero or alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play sol and with one deck. I agree with you that it is a very difficult game, and that a good deck for one quest won't help you with another.

But, I love this game! I don't get so upset that I curse, though. I understand your frustration. I've found myself taking mental notes as I'm going down the drain about what cards will help on my next go-around. It helps.

Good luck, but I haven't yet beat the third scenario. I moved on to the packs and had more luck, though they bend your brain, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know your pain, brother! The Journey down the Anduin is no cakewalk, especially compared to the relatively cuddly Passage Through Mirkwood. I spent many nights swearing at my cards and got the same threats from my wife. I also asked myself numerous times why I had gone and spent all that money (okay, not SO much money, but you know) on a game that was CLEARLY impossible to beat. (An experience that was repeated when I tackled Rhosgobel, and once again with Khazad-Dum, my current nemesis...)

In the end I beat the river with a Spirit/Lore deck, and the feeling was incredible. I think the quest is very well balanced. It's doable with only Core cards, but it makes you sweat and fight for your victory. You can feel yourself learning. I haven't gone back to it yet, but I plan to as soon as I beat Into the Pit. It should be interesting to see how different it is now that I've learned some more.

There's definitely a large element of luck involved, but you also get to "make your own luck" by choosing the right cards and using them right. I would compare it to backgammon in that way, although backgammon purists and LOTR grognards will probably both scoff at the comparison. At least JdtA doesn't have any insta-kill cards to mess up your strategy. Hi, I'm Sudden Pitfall's shadow effect, and I'd like to inform you that you've lost the game in the second round... Thanks for playing!

So, keep at it Andy! Victory, when it comes, is so, so sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shrock
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have observed, this is a tough quest, so don't lose heart. One thing that finally helped me learn to conquer it regularly (also with only one core set) is that you must change your tactics from the initial quest. I found the greatest success when I managed my threat and my quest progress, so as to not hit stage 2 and the troll before I was ready. If you think of stage 1 more as something to use to prepare your forces, rather than as something to rush through as quickly as possible, that may help you as it did me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the third core quest (Escape from Dol Guldur) is almost certainly impossible playing with a single deck, especially with your limited card set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what strategy you're using, but for my fiance and I, we found more success running the deck out than killing the trolls. The trolls seem to be almost immune to any funny business I tried to nix them; so sprinting for dawn seemed to be our best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hank34 wrote:
The gf and I have played it 7-8 times and lost every time. I think it is near impossible with only one core set. We still haven't beaten it but moved on so we wouldn't hate the game.

I think I've only lost once out of the 3 or 4 times I've played, just with base game and with the 'preconstructed' starter sets. Tactics is important to kill that troll, and Spirit for traveling through the Anduin. The others just help.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleBuck wrote:
Now, I've been getting slaughtered by one mean-ass troll and friends while on the river cruise.

Maybe this deck will help you make the Journey, too.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/898293/journey-down-the-andu...

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

I think I've only lost once out of the 3 or 4 times I've played, just with base game and with the 'preconstructed' starter sets. Tactics is important to kill that troll, and Spirit for traveling through the Anduin. The others just help.

-shnar

Are you playing solo? One or two decks? Beating the quest so easily with a starter deck really surprises me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honeyralmond wrote:
shnar wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

-shnar

Are you playing solo? One or two decks? Beating the quest so easily with a starter deck really surprises me.

No, I usually play with one other friend (i.e. 2 players), though once played 4 players. But the OP wasn't playing solo either, I don't think. Sounded like he was playing with his wife? And the comment I was responding to he was playing with his GF, so a 2 player deck...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be playing wrong then because I don't think it is possible. Especially with the starter decks and only one core set. Only one loss? Come on, really? I used a tactics and lore deck with the gf using the other two. We each have two gandalfs. We lose everytime.

We can get through the first part easy enough, but then when three cards start coming out of the deck, we can't overcome the threat level of the lands/enemies coming out (not to mention the enemies that have SUGRE). It is really frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
honeyralmond wrote:
shnar wrote:
Hank34 wrote:

-shnar

No, I usually play with one other friend (i.e. 2 players), though once played 4 players. But the OP wasn't playing solo either, I don't think. Sounded like he was playing with his wife? And the comment I was responding to he was playing with his GF, so a 2 player deck...

-shnar

Sorry about not being clear in my original post -- I'm only playing solo with one deck. My wife just happens to be nearby during my gasps of indignation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some really good suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

I am having a good time with this game even though I'm getting stomped. I've never been a deck builder and I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed with winning but being somewhat of a purist I will always like to win the quests in order.

Also, I really like the idea of winning by using a single deck consisting of only the cards that were available at the time of the release of the quest. That being said, I do realize that I might have to call in my daughter to help with another deck (or play more than one myself which I am slowly coming around to.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleBuck wrote:
There are some really good suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

I am having a good time with this game even though I'm getting stomped. I've never been a deck builder and I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed with winning but being somewhat of a purist I will always like to win the quests in order.

Also, I really like the idea of winning by using a single deck consisting of only the cards that were available at the time of the release of the quest. That being said, I do realize that I might have to call in my daughter to help with another deck (or play more than one myself which I am slowly coming around to.)

I am a solo, one deck only player, who thought it would be more fun to be a purist and only use cards available at the time of the scenario to win it. I nearly gave up on the game altogether after getting stuck on Anduin and relaxed that requirement, cracking open my second core and Mirkwood APs. I am having a lot more fun now and am now working through the Mirkwood APs in order, doing minor tweaks to my winning Anduin deck as needed. Just food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleBuck wrote:

Unfortunately, the conventional wisdom for this game is that you usually needs all the cards from a complete cycle to actually being able to beat the quests at the beginning of that specific cycle.

I expect that fact to be less and less true with each new cycle, but it's especially true for the first cycle, where the 6 AP gives you some of the basic cards you need to actually build the deck (notably the song cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.