Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, usually I lurk around here and am quite content to listen to the rest of you comment in various games on BGG. However, I am interested in this game, because of the unique mechanics in play and I am extremely interested to see where this will all lead in months to come.

That being said, I wonder (as the title suggests) about the lack of one overarching theme/world/plot. I understand that the quest systems set up scenarios in the short term, but the game itself does not belong to a place. As far as I can tell, there has been no announcement about an established setting.

I am curious how the rest of you feel about this. Does a game like Myth need a strong overarching theme? I think about Descent (because its the last game I bought to date) and we are thrown into the land with the Barons and the pre-existing villans such as the Farrows etc. That kind of flavor and storytelling has a certain appeal and even enriching power in a game. It also adds flavor to expansions. I think personally I enjoy immersing into a story and filling a role there.

Playing devil's advocate, I can understand also how this could be limiting. You will always be confined within the same story-line (assuming you follow it as directed)and never really expand past it. Perhaps, Myth will provide more opportunities without being linked to any particular idea or plot line.

I can't decide which has more value, curious what some of you have to say on the matter.

Regardless, I will be throwing in for the Captain level this week, very excited to see this hit a couple more stretch goals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This had not occurred to me until now, but it may simply be that we haven't been introduced to the fluff or they may be developing it down the road a bit and focusing on game play right now. I have the utmost faith that, if this game does include a vast game world and lore, MERCS will do it right. One of the big appeals of the MERCS wargame is how excellent (and a little on point) the lore is.

I can also see them not actually having lore as a focus. Since its a game about telling your OWN story, maybe giving it a a box to live in would be too limiting. An open ended experience allows players to stretch to the limits instead of being told "no, you can't go there, its not in the lore." Just an opposing view point that may or may not be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe once we see all the cards in the quest deck it will tell more about the overall world that Myth takes place. Personally, I like that it's not tied to an already existing world or intellectual property. Gives it the freedom to go where it wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you're talking about the setting and the fact that it takes place in an unestablished world with no additional lore, or if you're talking about plot and the fact that the story is essentially randomized each game.

Assuming the first one, most games tend to take place in new worlds with no established history or lore. This is especially difficult for board games that, even when heavy in theme, often have limited avenues for delivering details about the world without just telling you in extra flavor text or chunks of writing in the back of the rulebook. The world of Terrinoth (Descent's setting) was built up over several games and expansions, constantly being added to over a number of years. And even then, it's still largely generic fantasy with very little of a unique identity. Even though we haven't seen the quests and stories for the game, its understandable if Myth isn't able to form much of an identity to its world.

If the latter, well we don't actually know. The quests and stories have not been revealed and we don't know how those will play out during the game. There may be more of a cohesive plot that it would seem, and could be done (even with random quests) with smart writing. Time will tell. Or rather, they will when they show us the quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard Dan.

I could be wrong but from what I can glean Myth has the theme "some adventurers sit drinking telling each other tall tales of how awesome they are". The game world is the imaginative, boastful, fiction of the heroes.

At first this seemed a let down to me, but now I really like it. It's a bit like a dreamworld. It gives license for all kinds of imaginative enemies, quests and villains. Skeleton minions with cow skulls? Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth has about as much background as Descent, its just approached in a very different manner and so far doesnt seem as hammered down hard as others. This may be intentional, or it may simply be that the meat of the background isnt revealed yet, or is revealed in stages.

Look at Mice and Mystics which seems to have little theme at first glance (Evil queen. Turned into mice) and then it gets deeper and deeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated previously, it seems like MYTH aims to be more open-ended in nature. The core idea behind it "tell your story, it will become legend" - which is what drew me to the game in the first place.

The quests and any additional fluff that may come, would give you a vague skeleton to hang the meat of YOUR story on. It doesn't force you down any narrative avenues, and you're free to imagine your own story, theme and setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
The overall theme is fantasy; there are lots of monsters and cool game mechanics governing the game. That's good enough for me! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark guckeyson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Needed? Not in my opinion.

Nifty? Sure! I'd be all for them finding writers to flesh out the world. You can always ignore it, if it doesn't suit you. But since it wouldn't materially contribute to the game, I'd prefer to have more game at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point we just really don't know,.... I think that the quest deck mechanic will have some good stuff, but there is only so much that you can fit on a card.

The guys have done amazing stuff with their MERCS line, and have stated that the rule book would look more like that than a typical board game rule book,.. So I suppose there could be some extra fluff there.

I agree with most that the basis of the game does not require you to have a huge overarching theme,.... At the same time, they have already indicated that they will support players with blank templates for stories and quests, so you can really take the game engine where ever you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if they flesh out the fantasy world that Myth takes places in to introduce you to the type of monsters that roam the land and why along with the heroes. But it will be quite vague as the idea is that you create your own stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F0rmally Kn0wn As wrote:
I think about Descent (because its the last game I bought to date) and we are thrown into the land with the Barons and the pre-existing villans such as the Farrows etc.

Descent didn't really start out this way, though, it was a pretty generic fantasy setting without a lot of detail at the start.

Now, I know that it is set in the same world as Runebound and never having played that I don't know how fleshed out the world was for that game at the time, but as someone who played 1st Edition Descent without ever having played Runebound there really wasn't much setting or backstory to speak of. You didn't really start to see a more specific world until they got the long campaign expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to let the overall theme be hinted at in the quests and characters. Some flavor text is okay but usually I am keen to start playing not read big paragraphs of background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Foerster
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am of the opinion that a theme is not needed. I say that because I like the idea of what MERCS has states that this is 'your' story. So I can make up whatever theme I wanted. That is not to say that if a theme is developed that I would hate it. And there is nothing preventing me from making up my own anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a difference between a theme and your story though. So the theme is that your adventure is set in the mythical world of Ferelden (stolen from Dragon Age) where a coming darkness has brought Orcs, giant Arachnids, Skeletons and other monsters out of the shadows to prey on the week. But your story within that theme is down to your games and the choices you make. So you are Elena, the archer, who is fighting the menace plaguing the local towns whilst trying to come to terms with the death of her brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Centrville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
to prey on the week.

First the orcs brought down Saturday. Then the arachnids did Sunday in. Eventually all that was left for the poor people of Ferelden was an endless string of back to back Mondays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fireandlight27 wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
to prey on the week.

First the orcs brought down Saturday. Then the arachnids did Sunday in. Eventually all that was left for the poor people of Ferelden was an endless string of back to back Mondays.

Lol! Oops! Although everybody does hate Monday's right so maybe that is their plan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fireandlight27 wrote:
an endless string of back to back Mondays.

That sounds like the worst thing ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.