Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never been and, having done Essen a few times, just assumed it would pale into insignificance.

Should I give it a chance and go?

Are new games released?
Are there demos?
Can we be taught and play new games?
Are there stalls selling games?
Will I win the National Lottery this week?

Thanks

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are lots of retailers, and some good second hand buys available too.

Quite a lot of game demo's, and several games designers there with playtest or finalised versions you can see and chat to about their games.

Quite a few tournaments, you will find me in the Warmachine one but several board game ones.

Good luck with the lottery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
I personally found it disappointing as an event. Yes there are demos, occasionally there are new releases, there are many retailers. I found the discount the retailers present gave wasn't remotely enough to cover the cost of petrol getting there.

There are often talks and seminars, I've found these the most interesting aspect of the show and are worthwhile.

Overall, personally I've not been for the last few years and don't feel a pressing need to do so, but it's probably worth experiencing at least once, it is certainly no Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any new games released there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
You may find this thread helpful: UK Games Expo 2013 subscription thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Norbert666 wrote:

I think 'it depends'. One year saw the release of Medieval Mastery, one year didn't. I suspect if someone in the UK has a new game ready to release, they might target this, but I don't think it's a huge draw for that. I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Woodman
United Kingdom
Twickenham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I recommend to all that you give it a go again ...

The event has moved this year to substantially larger premises, NEC Hilton Hotel !

All the key distributors in the UK will be there and there is substantial demonstration areas where you can learn new games. There is also a very large family games area so bring your other half and children with you.

I think UK Games Expo will be so much more than you expect and than in past years. No, it's not Essen yet, that would be too much to expect, but it's certainly growing !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a great event, and is a highlight in the UK gaming year. There are lots of new games to try, a really good playtesting area, a very welcoming family zone, and lots of bargains to be had if you are up for a bit of scouting around.

This will be my 5th year, and every time I go I get something new out of it. It is well worth staying after the event as well for the gaming that goes on into the wee small hours.

Each to their own, but I really would recommend it. Go with some friends and share the driving, or take your family. You can also get involved in the maths trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Never been and, having done Essen a few times, just assumed it would pale into insignificance.

I've not been to Essen - regrettably - so that will be for you to judge. I'm sure it can't be as good as Essen but I doubt that it pales into "insignificance".

Norbert666 wrote:
Should I give it a chance and go?

Don't knock it till you've tried it is usually a useful maxim.

Norbert666 wrote:
Are new games released?
Are there demos?

Can we be taught and play new games?

Yes there are new games, yes there are demos, and yes you can be taught and play new games (and old ones for that matter).

Norbert666 wrote:
Are there stalls selling games?

Indeed there are - and for me that's always the main attraction. I don't know why because I can see all these games and have opportunities to buy them online but seeing them all in the flesh cardboard is something I get a great buzz from. There's also a bring and buy area where bargains might be had.

There's other stuff going on as well. Lots of gaming of course, both casual and tournament play, roleplaying (not really my thing), miniatures and generally all manner of weird and wonderful Geekery generally!

Norbert666 wrote:

If you buy a ticket I can say with great certainty that your chances will be infinitely better than mine.

I've attended the last 2 Expos and loved it. I took my wife - who plays the odd game but is certainly not a fanatic gamer. She was hooked immediately and has recently been telling me how much she is looking forward to this years event. Can't wait!

I hope that helps you make your mind up and if you do go I hope you have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Seghillian wrote:

Thanks

Seghillian wrote:

Norbert666 wrote:

If you buy a ticket I can say with great certainty that your chances will be infinitely better than mine.

Seems I've stumbled at the first hurdle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We certainly enjoy attending as a retailer though lots of unknowns this year. The good news is there should be more play / demo areas for visitors than there has been at the previous venue. It is substantially smaller than Essen. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harris
United Kingdom
Surbiton
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth a trip. It's grown quite a bit in the last two years, especially now with Mayfair, Asmodee and Fantasy Flight on board.

If you do come, be sure to visit the Playtest Zone, which I'm helping to run. If you play a game prototype, you will be entered into a prize draw. Of course designers can bring their own games to be playtested as well.

Link: www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/playtest.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:

Keyflower: Key Celeste will be released there. Not a full game, basically a promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh interesting thread. Sounds like the change in venue should be a good bonus! This'll be my first year going.

There's not a lot of point in me 'not' going to be completely honest, I kind of live in Birmingham anyway, 10 minutes on the train to get there

Looking forward to it, and hope I can get some awesome stuff while I'm there =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Victorius
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in participating in the no shiping maths trade. That's where you swap your games in a chain, but it's done through software. The thread is usually up a week into May for you to submit what you want to swap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be the first year that I've attended and I am very excited. I know it's not as big as Essen or some of the American conventions but it's infinitely more affordable for a UK game designer like myself! I'm looking forward to meeting some UK publishers and getting my face about a bit.

Not to mention playing copious amounts of games. I shall be playtesting a prototype of my game Samizdat at the Playtest zone which I encourage you all to come and play! It's a 'dice-as-workers' placement game set in the underground world of dissident publishing in the 1950s Soviet Union.

Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mb
Don't forget the social side of the event too. Last year saw the inaugural 'Badge Quest' where a bunch of us agreed to sport our BGG avatars as bades so people could recognise the faces behind their geek presence.

I'm hoping Badge Quest II- The Return of Badge Quest makes an appearance this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChowYunBrent wrote:
I shall be playtesting a prototype of my game Samizdat at the Playtest zone which I encourage you all to come and play! It's a 'dice-as-workers' placement game set in the underground world of dissident publishing in the 1950s Soviet Union.

Fun!

Fun indeed - look out for this one. Excellent and very original theme as you try and publish banned works and other unapproved literature, whilst the "heat" from the dreaded KGB ratchets upwards. Makes a refreshing change from Orcs, Plasma Cannons and Wizards (not that there's anything wrong with many excellent games containing those items!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:

Seghillian wrote:

Thanks

Seghillian wrote:

Norbert666 wrote:

Not really, buying a ticket doesn't significantly alter your chances of winning you’re actually more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to buying your lottery ticket than you are to win big

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Withnails liver wrote:
Don't forget the social side of the event too. Last year saw the inaugural 'Badge Quest' where a bunch of us agreed to sport our BGG avatars as bades so people could recognise the faces behind their geek presence.

I'm hoping Badge Quest II- The Return of Badge Quest makes an appearance this year!

Looks like there is an official BGG badgequest taking place. Check the expo site for some more details, but from what I remember, the most inventive recreation wins a prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Be wrote:
Withnails liver wrote:

Looks like there is an official BGG badgequest taking place. Check the expo site for some more details, but from what I remember, the most inventive recreation wins a prize.

Very much up for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:

Seghillian wrote:

Thanks

Seghillian wrote:

Norbert666 wrote:

Not really, buying a ticket doesn't significantly alter your chances of winning you’re actually more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to buying your lottery ticket than you are to win big

Chance of winning lottery with a ticket = 0.00000000001%
Chance of winning lottery without ticket = 0%
0.00000000001/0 = ∞

Did I miss anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, I get emails all the time about winning lotteries that I've never bought tickets for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
But, I get emails all the time about winning lotteries that I've never bought tickets for...

And I bet you also claim to get marriage proposals from beautiful Russian women and personal mails from the ex-wife of the Nigerian Finance Minister. They are all mine I tell you. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those beautiful Russian women can only be after my lottery win so you can keep them!

(btw how long does a bank transfer take? It's been 3 months since I paid for the 'unlocking fee' for my lottery win...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.