10 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Exiles vs Rho Indi --- Equally good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kantel Kantelaar
msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, this is my first post on a forum, so please forgive me if I do anything wrong or misunderstand the purpose of this forum.

Last evening I played my first session of RotA. I have played the original game several times now, so I think I'm quite experienced now.
We chose randomly between the new races and my friend draw Rho Indi while I draw the Exiles.

I normally liked to play with Orion / Eridani races, since they are more aggressive, but I learn to appreciate the 'turtle' races as well. In fact I have won once with Hydress already, but this was in 3P game.

The game itself:

My first rounds considered mostly exploring ring II and III and placed 2 additional orbitals on round 3, but still could not create planets with more than 3 cubes.
My opponent had found the Morph Shield (which is way too good compared to other tech tiles as double ion cannon) and upgraded this in his cruiser. On round four he attacked the middle planet with Ancient Dreadnought with 2 cruisers and 2 interceptors and manage to win. (I guess it was 60-40 to win)
By that time I had only 1 interceptor since my focus was on building orbitals. (btw you can't build an additional orbital on your home planet right, besides the one you start with?)
After that round had to draw back towards my home planet since my orbital were no match for his cruisers. The orbital is very hard to upgrade..
After that my opponent attacked all other ancient cruisers and obtain many points. We end the game with an very disappointing 58 - 29 points.

To sum up: I think the exiles are no match for rho indi. The cloaking ability is very hard to be effective and the start orbitals are not so great as well. They are expensive and don't have any contribution to your defenses because of its blue print and you only build one. All benefits of the rho indi are great from the beginning. The disadvantages, 0 point home planet is easily be compensated with the extra reputation tile. No Dreadnought can be hard, but can be compensated by multiple ships and you don’t need to upgrade that much, less actions.

I'm really curious if someone experiences something equal or different or have a different opinion about the exiles and rho indi.

Besides that: in 2P games I experienced that that Mechanema/Hydress/Planta are no match for Orion too. Only draco and even eridani can match Orion a little bit, since they can attack ancient from the beginning.

General opinion: If you can’t attack ancients in the first 3/4 rounds (like Mechanema/Hydress/Planta/Exiles) , you can’t influence juicy planets, can’t get nice boost from discovery tiles, can’t get reputation tiles, I guess this will reduces your chances to win very much. Note that this holds for >3 player games, but there is a restrictive head start, since it can be 2 to 1 in the mid/end rounds…

But in end: I really like playing Eclipse and will try again with the Exiles a maybe seek for different strategies…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icelom The awsome
msg tools
Kantel wrote:
First of all, this is my first post on a forum, so please forgive me if I do anything wrong or misunderstand the purpose of this forum.

Last evening I played my first session of RotA. I have played the original game several times now, so I think I'm quite experienced now.
We chose randomly between the new races and my friend draw Rho Indi while I draw the Exiles.

I normally liked to play with Orion / Eridani races, since they are more aggressive, but I learn to appreciate the 'turtle' races as well. In fact I have won once with Hydress already, but this was in 3P game.

The game itself:

My first rounds considered mostly exploring ring II and III and placed 2 additional orbitals on round 3, but still could not create planets with more than 3 cubes.
My opponent had found the Morph Shield (which is way too good compared to other tech tiles as double ion cannon) and upgraded this in his cruiser. On round four he attacked the middle planet with Ancient Dreadnought with 2 cruisers and 2 interceptors and manage to win. (I guess it was 60-40 to win)
By that time I had only 1 interceptor since my focus was on building orbitals. (btw you can't build an additional orbital on your home planet right, besides the one you start with?)
After that round had to draw back towards my home planet since my orbital were no match for his cruisers. The orbital is very hard to upgrade..
After that my opponent attacked all other ancient cruisers and obtain many points. We end the game with an very disappointing 58 - 29 points.

To sum up: I think the exiles are no match for rho indi. The cloaking ability is very hard to be effective and the start orbitals are not so great as well. They are expensive and don't have any contribution to your defenses because of its blue print and you only build one. All benefits of the rho indi are great from the beginning. The disadvantages, 0 point home planet is easily be compensated with the extra reputation tile. No Dreadnought can be hard, but can be compensated by multiple ships and you don’t need to upgrade that much, less actions.

I'm really curious if someone experiences something equal or different or have a different opinion about the exiles and rho indi.

Besides that: in 2P games I experienced that that Mechanema/Hydress/Planta are no match for Orion too. Only draco and even eridani can match Orion a little bit, since they can attack ancient from the beginning.

General opinion: If you can’t attack ancients in the first 3/4 rounds (like Mechanema/Hydress/Planta/Exiles) , you can’t influence juicy planets, can’t get nice boost from discovery tiles, can’t get reputation tiles, I guess this will reduces your chances to win very much. Note that this holds for >3 player games, but there is a restrictive head start, since it can be 2 to 1 in the mid/end rounds…

But in end: I really like playing Eclipse and will try again with the Exiles a maybe seek for different strategies…

My personal experiences

I have never beaten the exiles, but have never won with them. (i guess they don't go well with my aggressive play-style). by the end of round 4 you had one interceptor? you clearly went over crazy with your orbital building. build a couple and you have a huge resource advantage over rho especially with his expensive ships. if you can manage not being attacked by him until the late rounds then you have won... you can build more ships then him and his cost more to replace and your econ should be stronger. however if you only build orbitals until he attacks you and you have nothing to defend with then... yep you loose.

Every race can attack ancients by the 3/4th rounds... you don't need that much tech to upgrade onto a single cruiser or a few interceptors to attack ancients.

The morph shield is decent early game but should be upgraded off by late game depending on your opponent but 9/10 times it wont be regenerating any hull mid to late game... and so its a simple -1 shield. (i would much rather find the double ion cannon that tech is sweat)

I am not entirely sure how you can claim the orbitals don't contribute to your defense... they do. Sounds like all you were building was orbitals and had nothing else they are not uber battle stations that can never be killed.

Kantel wrote:

Planta are not allowed in 2P games because they are to strong in them... So i really don't see where you are coming from.

Also in my experience and this opinion is shared with my group, Orion are fairly weak they can be very strong but they are so inflexible with there 4-1 trade that they are almost never picked. Sure you can have a strong game with them but if you don't get the right tiles you get gutted by everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
2p is very often determined by who takes the center first. That's why in 2p, Orion is too strong, Mechanema has a definite advantage over Hydran and even Eridani is pretty good.

I haven't played my copy of the expansion yet, but Exiles seem like a turtle race? That's already a disadvantage in 2p. Then their strength is in orbitals, and orbitals are generally not a good strategy. Overall it seems like they must be quite bad in 2p. That doesn't mean they are bad in every player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Exiles are not a good turtle race. Their Orbitals are worse than Starbases, because you are limited to one per hex. Their advantages are tricky to exploit, especially in 2P games. I think the key to Exiles is to have a compact, efficient empire (bolstered with Orbitals) and leverage the Cloaking Device to raid opponents.

As ParticleMan touched on above, races with military focus are strong in 2P games. I don't think Rho Indi start as strong as Orion, but get nasty with a good supply of Materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dietz
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If left alone, the exiles can definitely win.
If not left alone, they will never win, because they are weak and can't accelerate their money/science production (with orbitals) to where they are strong.

4P game: (Eridani, Mechaneca, Exiles, Enlightened)
Early everyone is having trouble.
Round 5, Eridani takes the center (holds it all game). Being in the center he is neighbors to all players. Mechaneca is on doorstep of galactic center the entire game, forcing him to spend actions on military.
Round 7 Eridani decides to attack Enlightened player (still having trouble) and wins easily, removing him from the game.
Round 9 Eridani is mercilessly attacked by Mechaneca and Exiles players, losing two sectors.
Final score: Exiles 55, Eridani 44, Enlightened 30, Mechaneca 25

Eridani needed to attack Exiles player:
1) to increase own income
2) to prevent Exiles player from winning
It did not help Eridani player that he was denied access to Quantum Grid. He took a military tech (antimatter splitter + cannon) when he could have gotten it and thusly had a military advantage the whole game - just no actions to use that advantage with.

-------------
I think the toughest is Enlightened to play. I have seen them do poorly in every game they were in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicolas de saint aubain
Belgium
flag msg tools
Not at all !

Simply: Rho Indi can win, Exiles can't.

Rho Indi isn't bad at all, if you get it when you are close to planta or any other defensive class (Drako, Hydran..).

There are 2 parameters that will allow you to win or not:
- getting neutron bomb fast. No neutron bomb, no victory. RI is a really good class to choose as player 1 if neutron bomb is available, and one of your neighbours is not Orion/Eridani/Mechanema.
Of course, being neighbour with planta could help, if neutron bomb isn't there at turn 1.
- getting some early boost.
When RI just gets "usual" hexes with a few resources, or ancients, it's really hard to get a decent fleet soon enough. And if you are ready to attack at turn 5, you've lost the game.
RI cannot afford the loss of its interceptors against ancients. You need to get more or to improve them quickly. I think a good strategy is to explore zone 3 hexes to look for one interesting present that allows you to start fighting: +6 science, +6 materials, +3 computer, free cruiser...
Once you get something, anything that fits, just move and try either to raid ancients (if available), or if you can reach it, get someone's starting world. You don't even have to care about your homeworld.
Often, players feel (more or less) safe if they've got ancients between them and RI. With your 4 movements, you can just block 1 ancient and get moving additional ships to their homeworld.

So i think RI is among the decent classes to choose, if they are chosen in the right situation.

And i believe the exiles can't win unless the other players don't care, which doesn't happen with experienced players.

First, after more than 100 games, i just think that basically orbitals sucks. In most situations, with the science / materials you use to build them, you could do better otherwise.

Then, there is a contradiction between their class abilities.
- OK, you can build orbitals for resources/action and VPs, but then you are a defensive class with no space stations (the modified orbitals suck and you can't have more than 1, which isn't good enough to defend as a defensive class). And of course, your nice orbitals might well be tempting for Orion, Rho Indi or others.
- And camouflage isn't enough to pretend you are an agressive class, as you won't be able to match the bad guys (Orion, RI...) early. I tried it and it just doesn't work, as you lack materials / starting bonuses on your ships

Once i wanted to win at least once with every class. Now i know that i won't, as i won't try again with the Exiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicodsa wrote:
Not at all !

Simply: Rho Indi can win, Exiles can't.

That's probably a bit of an exaggeration. I won't deny Exiles are probably the weakest of all the current races (other than maybe the semi-official Elders of the Solstice). But to say they can't win is pure opinion.

They can be played and played well, and they might surprise you. They are a great choice to play if you're the only experienced player and you're teaching newbies.

Quote:

Once i wanted to win at least once with every class. Now i know that i won't, as i won't try again with the Exiles.

Quitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parsons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I played the exiles recently, 2P and by some miracle I wasn't attacked all game.

Didn't get any accessible material planets, couldn't take the center. Seems to me less you get a couple of material tiles early on, your "advantage" economically is null and void. I would be tempted to even consider putting down a material rather then a money on the home orbital to maximise the odds of getting a few up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaJasam wrote:
I played the exiles recently, 2P and by some miracle I wasn't attacked all game.

Didn't get any accessible material planets, couldn't take the center. Seems to me less you get a couple of material tiles early on, your "advantage" economically is null and void. I would be tempted to even consider putting down a material rather then a money on the home orbital to maximise the odds of getting a few up.

You cannot place material population on orbitals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parsons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Vanish wrote:
OmegaJasam wrote:

You cannot place material population on orbitals.

Oh Derp. yes. THAT. Add +1 o the vulnerability to poor material draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.