BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 4x Space boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio Persichetti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Can you advice me about the best space colonization\war boardgame full of fantastic races, tecnologies, planets and more?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
there can only be Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what aspect you want the game to emphasize, you might want to have a look at Eclipse (euro-ish), Space Empires: 4X (wargame-ish) or Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) (ameritrash-ish).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Eclipse and Space Empires: 4X.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also look at the kickstarter for Burning Suns.

Looks like it has lots of options, and the rules and some pictures and description of play are available on their webpage - Sun Tzu Games.

I've backed with a friend...and looks like fun!

Good luck finding one you like!

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, there is just nothing that compares to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) (with expansions). Unique races, technology, battles, diplomacy etc. The downside is that I have been in games that run 15 hours+. If you want something more maangable, definitely go with Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Persichetti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
The other players (my girlfriend and many friends of mine) aren't hardcore boardplayers. In facts, I'll go with Eclipse and expansions.

Thank you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), game length is a function of the number of players (with each player increasing game length) and their collective experience (more experienced players make things go faster). Game set up and take down are fixed time sinks that can be reduced by proper storage of the game.

While new players may find the game taking 2 hours per player, experienced players can do it with about 45 minutes per player with another ~40 between set up and take down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely falls down to 3 schools of thought. Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), Eclipse, and Space Empires: 4X. You'll find people who will evangelize on all three of those fronts.

I say get all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Definitely falls down to 3 schools of thought. Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), Eclipse, and Space Empires: 4X. You'll find people who will evangelize on all three of those fronts.

I say get all three.

I find this argument without fault. Once you have secured all three games, combine them into one, unholy 12x game. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
...Once you have secured all three games, combine them into one, unholy 12x game. devil

Or would that be a 64x(^3?) game?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry to hop in here, but which of them emphasizes exploration the most? Things like exploring uncharted planets, interacting with aliens, etc.? Aliens that are not bipedal are always a plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this:

Space Empire Builders of the Modern Era - A Critical Comparison

Provides a point-by-point comparrison of 4X games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.