Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like, if possible, to find some good books on Ancient period Druids, mainly a history of them, what they influenced, and the battles they were involved in, an examination of their religion is of course ok, just dont want that to be the focus.

Ive seen the Druids mentioned in passing in other books about Rome's involvement in Britain, but my search skills are failing me. All I can seem to turn up are books on spells and religious focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a full study and obviously only from a Roman point of view but you can find Julius Caesar's observations (a few pages) about ancient druids in book 6 of the De Bello Gallico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Would like, if possible, to find some good books on Ancient period Druids, mainly a history of them, what they influenced, and the battles they were involved in, an examination of their religion is of course ok, just dont want that to be the focus.

Ive seen the Druids mentioned in passing in other books about Rome's involvement in Britain, but my search skills are failing me. All I can seem to turn up are books on spells and religious focus.

Since the only written records were from the Romans, who were not unbiased, it is very difficult to find any reliable information about the ancient Druids.

In ancient times...
Hundreds of years before the dawn of history
Lived a strange race of people... the Druids

No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Hewn into the living rock... Of Stonehenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look into The Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis. I don't have a copy, but have heard its fairly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Most famous druid ever:

Lots of books with him in it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
aiabx wrote:

In ancient times...

But their legacy remains

You do realise the project was cancelled? They'd only just got the scaffolding up ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Since the only written records were from the Romans, who were not unbiased, it is very difficult to find any reliable information about the ancient Druids.

In ancient times...

But their legacy remains

except that Stonehenge well pre-dates the Druids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

In ancient times...

But their legacy remains

Don't be absurd. Would Spinal Tap put that in a song if it were wrong? They could be sued!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wild Tchoup wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Methinks Spinal Tap pre-dates some people here ...

No, I just thought the adverts made it look stupid and so never saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been interested in the Druids of that era as well, so thanks for asking the question.

As for Roman point of view, I feel the same way about the Jewish revolt. Just about everything we know about significant episodes surrounding it are by Josephus, A Jewish traitor.

And finally, GO SEE SPINAL TAP. It's in dubly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
This recent Stonehenge documentary was fairly decent, if you want to get into the history of its building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCollector wrote:
I've always been interested in the Druids of that era as well, so thanks for asking the question.

As for Roman point of view, I feel the same way about the Jewish revolt. Just about everything we know about significant episodes surrounding it are by Josephus, A Jewish traitor.

And finally, GO SEE SPINAL TAP. It's in dubly!

There are references in the Gemara. They don't inspire confidence in Josephus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one about a local boy:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Death-Druid-Prince-Archaeologic...

The druids had an international organisation. Gold manufactures moved from Ireland across Britain to Gaul. Once the Romans started to encroach on the Midlands, they cut the route, and this prompted a druidical crisis. Human sacrifices followed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.