Subject: Well, I've ordered it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I already have ATS SK#2: Stalingrad. Now I've ordered ASL SK#1 because of this place . I figure I'll compare the 2 games and play a few of each before I make the big dive into full ATS or ASL. Should be interesting, from everything I've read here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats...it's probably easier to start with the SK 1 scenarios. I haven't done any of the SK 2 scenarios yet, even though I've had it for a while.

If you get the movement/defensive fire phases down, that's half the battle, really, for when you want to make the jump to the full rules. MMP has a great animated example of this on their site, you might want to head over there and check it out. It shows how one squad and an MG will get a TON of defensive shots at moving units, under the right circumstances.

On the MMP site, there's also a programmed instruction method to jump into the full game. The first lesson is pretty easy, you could do it after you've played the first few SK scenarios. Lesson 2, however, throws a bunch more stuff in the mix, including many rules/concepts left out of the starter kits for good reason lol. This is where I'm at now...having fun with bypass, dash, fire lanes, snipers, heat of battle, and all the other cool stuff that really makes this game interesting.

One thing to be aware of...in the starter kit, there's no penalty for taking low % shots like a 2fp up 3. In the full game, there's a chance that you could hurt yourself from a shot like that via a sniper attack--especially in the classic Guards Counterattack scenario that they use for the first couple of programmed instruction lessons--because the sniper activation numbers are so high. You risk losing a leader, or seeing a crucial squad get pinned/broken from a sniper attack, every time you roll the dice!

I was playing last night in a solo game as the germans...and watched in shock and horror as my 9-2 died from a sniper attack, and the whole stack he was with broke from the resultant LLMC. 18FP factors with 2 LMGs and a 9-2, rendered useless in an instant hehe. So, enjoy those "freebie" shots in the SK while you can!

Anyway, there's a very active ASL bunch over at the Stragey Zone Online, including some of the old timers that have been playing ASL for years. You can usually get a rules quesion answered there in an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.