Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just seen another post about some online subscription based boardgames. Not sure how well it went down. - However, it did remind me of something I was considering about6 months ago....

What are your thoughts in regards to hiring boardgames? - Ideally in the UK, but question applies to anywhere.

Thinking about the potential of doing something here. Personally, I'd love to be able to hire a Boardgame for a week or two. - I don't go to many clubs and events, so if I want to try out a game, I usually end up just buying it.

I guess a lot of people like to collect them, in which case, hiring one doesn't give you the same buzz as having your own copy.

I suppose a couple of basic questions would be?

1) Is renting boardgames something you would consider?
2) Would you prefer a 'pay per rental' type price or...
3) Would you prefer to pay £xxx a month and get X number of games.
4) How would you feel having to pay a deposit of about £30-40 when you hire a single game, or become a monthly 'member'. - This would simply mean that if someone was to ruin a game or not return it, the cost could be recouped.

Feedback/Suggestions would be really appreciated!

(btw, I currently have no idea how to set up a poll on here!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UK person here.

Here are my problems with your idea:

- how big will your library of games be?
- how much "arguing" will there be about the deposit? i.e. if I lose one tile, do I lose the whole deposit?
- the deposit is pretty much the cost of a new game (or more in some cases), if it's at risk of being lost, I may as well buy the game.
- how will you get the game to me? Who pays for shipping? Return shipping? What if the game is lost in transit? What if I lie and say it was lost, free game for me!
- if it's collection only, you'll only have a tiny potential market
- most people are in clubs of some kind, I'm just not sure how many are looking to rent games

From your point of view:
- How much admin is there in inventorying all the pieces whenever a game is returned?
- What if the customer says he is missing pieces when it got to him?

I'm sure there are other things, but these are my first thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.