Just seen another post about some online subscription based boardgames. Not sure how well it went down. - However, it did remind me of something I was considering about6 months ago....
What are your thoughts in regards to hiring boardgames? - Ideally in the UK, but question applies to anywhere.
Thinking about the potential of doing something here. Personally, I'd love to be able to hire a Boardgame for a week or two. - I don't go to many clubs and events, so if I want to try out a game, I usually end up just buying it.
I guess a lot of people like to collect them, in which case, hiring one doesn't give you the same buzz as having your own copy.
I suppose a couple of basic questions would be?
1) Is renting boardgames something you would consider?
2) Would you prefer a 'pay per rental' type price or...
3) Would you prefer to pay £xxx a month and get X number of games.
4) How would you feel having to pay a deposit of about £30-40 when you hire a single game, or become a monthly 'member'. - This would simply mean that if someone was to ruin a game or not return it, the cost could be recouped.
Feedback/Suggestions would be really appreciated!
(btw, I currently have no idea how to set up a poll on here!)
UK person here.
Here are my problems with your idea:
- how big will your library of games be?
- how much "arguing" will there be about the deposit? i.e. if I lose one tile, do I lose the whole deposit?
- the deposit is pretty much the cost of a new game (or more in some cases), if it's at risk of being lost, I may as well buy the game.
- how will you get the game to me? Who pays for shipping? Return shipping? What if the game is lost in transit? What if I lie and say it was lost, free game for me!
- if it's collection only, you'll only have a tiny potential market
- most people are in clubs of some kind, I'm just not sure how many are looking to rent games
From your point of view:
- How much admin is there in inventorying all the pieces whenever a game is returned?
- What if the customer says he is missing pieces when it got to him?
I'm sure there are other things, but these are my first thoughts.