Subject: Anyone else getting Kicked hard this April? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to find other people to empathize with my pain. I'm not a huge kickstarter kinda guy, I have been very pleased with Legacy, Tammany Hall, and (hopefully) Great Fire of London, but this April.........damn!

With Zombicide 2, MYTH, and Krossmaster I'm out like almost 700 bucks this month.............I looked back on that and.........Damn thats alot of scratch! Just wondering if anyone else shares my pain.

Also, I have been a little back and forth on Krossmaster, while it looks fun, I have to have those damn resin token pieces, I cannot stand cardboard tokens representing minis in a mini game(a la Descent 2's leutinents). Anybody played, enjoy or hate this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is like they are taking money right out of your pocket.

Those thieving bastards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I only buy games on really nice sales (like the recent $8.98 FFG Silver Line clearance at Target) so I don't feel said pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good stuff happening over there!

Wallet beware
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krossmaster reminds me of an unholy combination of 80s cartoon toylines and a collectible minis game. Many of the characters are repaints of the same sculpt and while the purchases aren't blind, I'll bet some GG that they're limited in production and if you don't get them quick, you won't get them at all. Plus, isn't it $300+ to get all the minis? O_O

I'll pay $20 for a mini if I think it's worth it, but those particular minis aren't worth much at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am both happier and more solvent having sworn off these evil temptresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
What have you done, I didn't even know there was a Zombicide 2 until this thread. cry

I'm still kicking myself (pun intended) for missing the Zombicide kickstarter, tho I did get the game for only $50 from an online store shortly after release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarven Forge kickstarter. Something to look into if you like to fantasy RPG. Right now, you're getting about 66% more than advertised, so if you're in for 3 sets, you have 5, and if you look at their pictures, 5 can build a big dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Smith
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even do RPGs and that Dwarven Forge kickstarter looks hard to resist. I might have to go in for 2 sets, and then start an RPG to justify it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to find anything appealing about kickstarter. It's nice having immunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's my first pledge...I backed Hunter's guild...nice card game easy to learn...should be good for wife and non hardcore gamers...

But I started checking out games...I can see how someone can get carried away lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest i've started to get far more leery eyed at kick starters.

I jumped at pretty much almost every board game i saw that looked like it had promise in 2011 and 2012. Thinking these games needed help to get out the door.

Now that i've started to get most of the earlier kickstarters I'm noticing a trend.

They all promise discounts over retail and that you'll get the game long before retail. However, time and time again the game is getting to retail weeks before it gets to backers and online retailers sell the game 10-20 dollars cheaper then the "discounted" price for their preorders.

So why give a company your money 6 months to a year in advance to get it late and for more money?

So now the only reason i back a game on kickstarter is if the preorder incentives are worth it and their kickstart exclusive.

But also i need some gameplay footage & a rulebook. I want to see the game i'm kick starting will actually be interesting and not just have a ton of minis that are exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're making it sound like you don't have much choice.

I'm not backing anything. If the game comes out, and it's good, I might try to get a copy. If it's not good, I won't. If extra copies aren't available, it's no skin off my back.

This way I get the game earlier and cheaper than the backers. Does that sound crass? That's the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I had not seen Heroes of Normandie. Wish I hadn't. Shucks, where's my credit card gone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
This way I get the game earlier and cheaper than the backers. Does that sound crass? That's the system.
That only happens... 50% of the time... blush

In my experience anyway.

Not kicked bad. Stuck to same budget of game buying on the long-run. My L.G.S. probably thinks I'm being a bit tight with my wallet, but that's because Fantasy Flight Games is not kickstarting anything.

*looks*

No, thank God.

Did kickstart some cool iOS games here and there. And an Adult RPG, so pretty happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
For the last few months, Dungeon Roll was the only thing I've gotten excited about on Kickstarter and I ended up passing on that one (was really on the fence about adding yet another press-your-luck dice game).

So if you've found yourselves funding an above average amount of projects this month, you must be looking at something I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Never Knows Best wrote:

So if you've found yourselves funding an above average amount of projects this month, you must be looking at something I'm not.

Are you into minis, those rake in CASH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, anything over $25 gets an automatic pass from me on Kickstarter, I'll wait and pick it up retail wise for cheaper if it makes it, if it doesn't then that just re-affirms my notions that anything over $25 on Kickstarter really is too big of a risk for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
bippi wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:

Sure, I would love a miniatures game on Kickstarter. The problem has been most of them definitely put an emphasis on the "miniature" aspect while the game itself looks uninteresting or poorly thought out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Never Knows Best wrote:
bippi wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:

Sure, I would love a miniatures game on Kickstarter. The problem has been most of them definitely put an emphasis on the "miniature" aspect while the game itself looks uninteresting or poorly thought out.

I'm struck in confusion when I see that. I don't know if I should hate on them for making boatloads of cash on something that has been done since the start of time... or be awestruck at how many people are "shut up and take my money!" to that sort of thing. It's definitely one of the greater mysteries of boardgaming in the last year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It does actually somewhat make sense to me. There are certain people, people not necessarily of our hobby, who are collectionists or hobbyists and for a lot of people, they do the math per miniature and then check to see if they like the artwork.

In these cases, the mini might be for a different game or just for decoration and I will say that a lot of these miniature Kickstarter projects have been a good deal, dollar-per-mini wise. If you don't care about the game that much, it's a great purchase.

I am not one of those people however, my hobby dictates that I budget for something I can, at the end of the day, actually play and enjoy. Of course there are also impulsive people who will push the "buy" button any time they see something shiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pitched in for Mongoose Publishing's Meerkat Slammers.

Ten quid plus free postage seems a reasonable bet.

Of course, Zombicie 2 with all the new stuff makes this month's pledges slightly less reasonable....zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Law
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
b a n j o wrote:
So.. anyone else think this thread was an IRS rant?

Me. That's why I checked it.

But now that I see what it is really about, yeah. I kicked a bit o' dough out the window. Zombicide 2, Dungeon Roll (though that was cheap), Flash Point expansion, and now Myth. I looked really hard at Torn Armor, Dwarven Forge, Krosmaster, as well. I am clearly insane.

BTW I believe to get ALL the Krosmaster minis, including the exclusive promos, it was $500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Heh, I like the caps 'Kicked' you have in the title! laugh

- Zcide 2 = planned
- Flash point expansions = planned
- MYTH = came out of nowhere and robbed me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
bigGameGeek wrote:
Just trying to find other people to empathize with my pain. I'm not a huge kickstarter kinda guy, I have been very pleased with Legacy, Tammany Hall, and (hopefully) Great Fire of London, but this April.........damn!

With Zombicide 2, MYTH, and Krossmaster I'm out like almost 700 bucks this month.............I looked back on that and.........Damn thats alot of scratch! Just wondering if anyone else shares my pain.

First off, if you're out 700 bucks and have already supported 3 other kickstarter then you sir are a huge kickstarter kinda guy - just sayin'.

Also, I think I have the opposite of empathy. It's self inflicted and you knew the costs going in. You also probably are aware of online retailers and you must know others who would back some of the things you've back to thereby share the load.

I don't know, it's like if I told you that I ordered three large pizzas and 6 liters of cola and consumed them all in one sitting and then asked for empathy about how many calories I'd ate, about how much my gut had bloated, and about the toilet time that I'll be experiencing in a number of hours.

Self control is a virtue.

Tolio wrote:
To be honest i've started to get far more leery eyed at kick starters.

They all promise discounts over retail and that you'll get the game long before retail. However, time and time again the game is getting to retail weeks before it gets to backers and online retailers sell the game 10-20 dollars cheaper then the "discounted" price for their preorders.

So why give a company your money 6 months to a year in advance to get it late and for more money?

To the point about price: Don't confuse MSRP with the price from online retailers. If a kickstarter campaign says it'll cost less than retail they're talking about the cost of purchasing at most brick & mortar stores.

To be honest if you're using online retailers as a purchasing source I can't fathom why you'd look at Kickstarters to begin with. You already know that buying bulk online is cheaper than buying individual products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.