Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the second time my opponent, Dan, and I were playing through the war, scenario-by-scenario. The first time around, Dan played the Germans. We made it to end of Bagration before deciding to start over again and switch sides. Looking at the setup for the Na Berlin scenario, Dan decided he wasn't up for the slaughter that would ensue. This AAR covers the second scenario of our second journey through the East Front war. In our first time around, as well as this one, we decided to not use variable weather (or any optionals).

Dan: Soviets
Me: Germans

My opening went well. I smashed through the light forces defending the gates to the Caucuses. Turn two went very poorly. Dan played 'Not a Step Back'. This put a major wedge into my battle plan for the turn. I didn't advance anywhere. However, many DR's were rolled (which converted into EX's due to his card). This put around five Soviet Fronts into the destroyed box and attritioned an equal number of German Armies. Given the combo of gaining no ground and having a large number of my forces reduced, I thought I was screwed at this point. Fortunate for me, Dan was hard pressed to replace his loses on his turn and get them into the right position to block my forces. On the third turn, he left a gap between the Moscow cluster and the forest to the Southeast. Incidentally, I also drew Siege Guns that turn. This left the opportunity for me to thread the needle and attack it with two strong Panzer Armies. I thought long and hard, either go the traditional route of the South, or go bold and hit Moscow from behind? I went with the latter.

My boldness bore fruit as the Moscow Fort was reduced by the Siege Guns, the Regional unit driven off, and my Panzers rolled into Kremlin Square. The odds were 4-1. So, a die roll of '1' could have ruined my day. Residual to this was that three of his forward units were now out of supply. He was only able to save one. The ugly part was that the two units Dan lost were upgraded Tank Armies, and since I held Moscow, he was now drawing one less card. I was able to draw supply to the Panzers in Moscow since his front-line units, put out of supply first, lost their ZOC.

The final turn consisted of the Soviets rolling up my stripped Southern front and a few thrusts to retake Moscow and other front-line cities. In the end it wasn't enough to recoup the damage of losing Moscow and those surrendered units. This was a bizarre game. My intent was to go strong Southeast and East, but circumstances led me North and got our front-lines massively tangled. Rostov changed hands several times during the scenario. In the end it wound up in Soviet control. The whole Crimean was a lost cause. The Soviets fortified Sevastopol and reinforced Novorossiysk. Both were Soviet held until the end.

Starting score: 21
+3 Surrendered Soviet units
+1 Moscow
+1 Tula
+1 Stalino
+1 Voronezh
-1 El Alamein event
Final score: 27 (26 needed for victory)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.