Popular Tags: [View All]
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All-
I saw this game on Kickstarter and was excited to see that there was a PnP version. I haven't played yet, but this came to mind as I reviewed the materials;

If I'm the American player why can't I deploy the recon unit onto the square containing the briefcase(which is 4 away from my deployment line). Then on my turn issue the recon unit to activate first and move them off the board with the briefcase, thus winning?

I must be missing something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recon rule lets you deploy 4 squares from the controlling player's side of the board (rather than deployment zone). The briefcase is 5 squares away from the board edge, so you cannot deploy right on top of it during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's amazing... I must of misread/misinterpreted that line in the rules about a dozen times. Thanks Angus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help Thomas. I know I have been in the same boat many times when reading rules!

I have been having a great time playing the demo with my son. It provides an excellent illustration of the basic concepts, and those large counters are amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
Sorry to interrupt, but there are two mistakes:
Angus is wrong: it is four squares form the deploy zone, and not the side. So the briefcase zone is available.
Thus said, reckon is not possible on any Objective zone as well as their ZoC (squares around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:

Angus is wrong: it is four squares form the deploy zone, and not the side. So the briefcase zone is available.

The Demo rules actually say the "side" of the board, unless the intent is for a side to be a player's deployment zone.

XofMdS wrote:
Thus said, reckon is not possible on any Objective zone as well as their ZoC (squares around).

I'm guessing you've got the full version of the rules, which clarify recon (and other issues), thus not allowing deployment on an objective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I refer to the french phrasing, native one for both me and the game developpers goo
Mistranslation to be corrected then (keeping the original french one, I guess).

As for the Objective's ZoC rule, it is in the french v2 of the Demo and in the core rules (fr available only).
That said, I noted than the phrasing let you on the Objective zone per say, as only the ZoC is restricted devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:
Hi guys,
Sorry to interrupt, but there are two mistakes:

Are the recon rules changed/clairified in the full version of the rules? The demo rules description of the recon skill specifically states:
Recon: A unit with this skill can be deployed at up to 4 squares from its player's side of the board before the first turn begins.

There is no mention of the deployment zone.

Ah, just read the French rulebook for the main game. The rules are expanded beyond those on the demo:
"L'unité qui possède cette capacité spéciale peut se déployer hors de sa zone de déploiement à un nombre de case égale au nombre inscrit sur le pictogramme.
Elle ne doit cependant pas se trouver dans une case adjacente à un objectif (principal, secondaire ou bonus).
Une unité ayant cette capacité peut se déployer sur la face de son choix.
Un véhicule ayant la compétence Transport et voulant utiliser sa compétence Scout ne peut embarquer avec lui que des troupes ayant la compétence Scout."

In English, "The unit that has this special ability can deploy outside its area of deployment in a number of box equals the number inscribed on the pictogram.
However, it should not be located in an adjacent square to a goal (main, secondary or bonus).
A unit with this ability can deploy on the face of his choice.
A competent Transport and vehicle wanting to use his Scout skill cannot embark with him to the troops with the Scout competence."

So for the demo, the rules are simplified.
Edit: improved the translation a little, my French is very rusty!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Demo rules are simplified for sure.

Now, I can't say how recon was initially intended, but after a few demo games, I made significant remarkS about it to DPG, and it seems to have been heard (for the core rules at least).

I know there is no mention about deployment zone in english,and I think it is due to translation, not to any true game intends.
(And your translation of the core rules recon seems well enough to me, and see how it can be tricked so you CAN actually deploy on the briefcase zone arrrh)

Now, to speak the truth, demo map is a bit too small to profit really from the recon+embush skills. I tried a x2 demo Map to see, and it makes it more powerfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus McEachran
Scotland
West Kilbride
North Ayrshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help Christophe! It is always great to have a native speaker give us an insight into the original language rules. My French is not particularly good, so I will be waiting for the official translation before I tackle the full rules properly!

I like your idea of printing the demo map twice to give a larger play area: Je dois l'essayer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hass
United States
Palm Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a house rule that only allowed the recon units to deploy into cover terrain only (boccage). But it's good to know that I'm not crazy. But with that said, I am going to try and see if I can get my non-gaming wife to play the demo version because it is pretty straightforward. She shakes her head at my collection of WWII games as I smirk at her collection of handbags. I haven't told her yet that I backed this project on Kickstarter (my first!).

(I might have to factor in the added cost of a Christian Dior handbag)

Best of luck Devil Pigs, oink on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The recon can deploy with its ambush capacity activated only if he is on a cover terrain.
And no deployement is allowed on an objective square and adjacent squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: not accurate anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clem seurat
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, right... sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.