Subject: Chinese characters on board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Marecki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear gentlemen

First I must say that you have made great peace of work! It's not easy to make game with fantastic atmosphere and historical base. Many people who are interested in Asia history are waiting for this type of board games

But I found something on board that is strange for me. Maybe I'm not first so sorry if I double my words with somebody.
Because I'm learning Chinese (Mandarin, Putonghua). I discover that symbols on board and cards are in Chinese. We have here game with history "Japan, 1605 – Hidetada Tokugawa has succeeded [...]" with Chinese symbols. I don't say this is mistake but what was the idea to use Chinese? First I thought that you made two or more boards for different markets but I don't see other type boards on photos

PS Thanks for the riddle I had a lot fun with dictionary. More practice better skills
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Japanese uses kanji for writing, which is the Chinese character set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Marecki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh yes. I made some research in this way. That's true they are similar. Good to know that I made mistake but we always learn something new. I was in Japan but never tried to learn more about they characters system.

Sorry again for mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the question. No problem. I must say that it s not the first time people ask this. I won t say that everything is perfectly historical right... But we tried.
There s more crossiver between chinese and japan culture than we think. We see them as more or less enemy to eachother ( true war and peace) But still in history they kept meeting eachother, which led to influences on both
sides.

But it s nice this question is posted here, so people already can read the answer. really no need to be sorry at all!

And thanks raviv for the nice explenation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Wittenstein
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I see the use of the symbols as a "Freedom of Art". The illustrator Franz Vohwinkel, whom eggertspiele asked for doing the graphics, was excited to splunge into that theme. The publisher was rather focused on creating the rules than analysing details of the artwork ;-)
If the symbols should mean strange things, it is purely by chance and unintentionell, at least from the designers´ and the publishers side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.