Spambo Spamboton
msg tools
I have been going through some of the threads here, and there seems to be a widespread opinion that an attack like Sweep, or Fire Breath "affect" an area of players, as opposed to "targeting" each of them. This has a significant effect on armors such as the Heavy Cloak that are only relevant if an attack targets that player. I am confused by this interpretation, since it seems pretty clear in the rulebook on page 13, under "Counting Spaces," which reads:

"Some abilities require players to count the spaces from a figure to the target of the ability. When counting spaces for attacks and abilities, players ignore any non-obstacle terrain in those spaces (see “Terrain” on page 18). The player just needs to verify that his target is in range for the ability to reach the target. If an ability affects figures within a specified number of spaces, line of sight is not needed unless specifically noted. However, when counting spaces for an ability, players cannot count spaces through a door because the spaces are not considered adjacent"

To paraphrase, this section defines that a hero that is hit with a Sweep is a target of the ability because Sweep is an ability that requires players to count spaces to determine if they are hit or not.

To address a counterargument that I foresee, the second part that begins, "If an ability affects figures" is a clarification of events that occur under the umbrella of the first part that mentions counting spaces. You can't have an area of effect, without counting spaces to determine if heroes are hit or not.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think basic attacks and abilities that use the word "target" target a figure. If an ability just uses the word "affect" then it does not target them.

Those are my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look trough adam sez threads. There were multiple times that developers gave us answers that described difference between being target and being affected, and how this changes which skills and abilities can be used, and which can't.

Abilities sometimes might target spaces, not figures. Abilities might affect figures that they do not target etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spambo Spamboton
msg tools
The referenced thread appears to say nothing about this distinction. Am I missing something? I'm looking here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/863073/adam-and-justin-sez-t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure I sent query to FFG:
Quote:
Hey Rafal,

With Sweep, each figure is affected. This means effects that trigger off of "targeting" cannot apply.

With Blast, only the initial figure is targeted, where the rest are only affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's answer at the end of this thread : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11979443#11979443

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.