Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
so you saw tathzee's name once. looked up on the game a little decided it's boring but you gave it one last chance in the reviews seeing if we can make you interest? well this is excatly what i'm trying to do here!

General review:
Yathzee is simple, simpler than you would think. role the dice see if it good for you if not roll again following the roles. how hard can it be? well doing it is not hard. doing it well is hard. the game usually isn't too long and the downtime is not awfully long, altough the more players you play the longer the game will take.

Rules:
each players in his turn roll all five dices. if he dosn't like what he got he may role the dices again until he rolled three times. when player re-rolling they don't have to role all the dices. the dices they want to keep if any are putted a side and the player roll the dices he chose to roll. after you finished your turn you have to decide what under what topic the reasults will go and write down the score. IMPORTANT: if you can't put your reasults must chose a topic and mark zero. after 13 rounds the game over, the players add thier scores and the player with most points wins! just note that each turn a player must pick a topic that he hadn't chose yet in this game.

Topics:
the topics are sperated to two sections. upper section and lower section.
Upper section: in the upper section you count all the dice reasults from ine number and add them up together. for example when getting 4,4,4,6,1 a player may chose to put his results under the topic "count and add only fours" and he'll get 12 points. if all your points together in the upper section are equal or higher the 63 you get bonus of 35 points.
Lower section: 3 of a kind: when getting 3 dices with the same reasult you may add all the dices' and mark it as the score under this topic. 4 of a kind: same as '3 of a kind' but you need four matching reasults and not three. Full House: when getting 3 matching reasults and 2 other matching reasults you gain 25 points. for example: you may put 1,1,5,5,5 under Full House topic and get 25 points. Low Straight: when getting 4 numbers following each other you can get 30 points if you put it under Low Straight. for example: you may put 1,2,3,4 under Low Straight topic and get 30 point. High Straight: same as "Low Straight" but when getting 5 numbers following each other and you get 40 points. Yathzee: when having 5 reasluts that matches you get 50 points, if you get second Yathzee in the same game you can mark it in Yathzee bonus and get 100 points. Chance: you can put here everything and add up all the reasults of the dices together.

My thoughts:
Yathzee is a nice light game. quite fun and good to play alone when bored or to play with someone else if you have little time left. overall the game is not wonderful but very fun, i would advice buying it, always good to have light game funny game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Yahtzee is light, but fun. Often lambasted by various users, but all in all, very approachable by gamers and non-gamers alike, and a pleasant way to pass the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph McSweeney
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try Kismet!! It's Yahtzee with colors!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, and others, have found that Triple Yahtzee really turns the game into something interesting - much more than the basic game. In Triple Yahtzee, you are basically playing 3 games at once. One game will score normally, one will have its score doubled, and the last will be tripled. Any time you score a roll, you choose which of the three boards to put it in. This means that you are now under some pressure to put only super duper scores in the triple column - and need to decide just how super is duper. For example, you'll try to save the 6's column for four sixes, and will need to be absolutely sure you get the top hand bonus in the triples. How high a chance roll is worth putting in the triple column? Many more choices; a much better game. Special Triple Yahtzee score sheets are sold, but I don't know if they're still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I play Yahtzee with a challenging goal in mind.
200 points is always par (like in golf par equals zero), and anything below that is negative score, like 187 points is -13. I try to beat the 200 mark even at the expense of not going for a Yahtzee.
Just sharing guys, and not imposing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Jonathan and hector i'll try both if your suggestions, they seem to make the game more intersting. i have a question for you jonathan. do you still play the game with 13 turns or you make it 39 turns?

i'm glad there are other players that like yathzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I want to clarify that in my comparison of Yahtzee with Golf is just for the par nature , as with Yahzee a higher score is better, and for Golf a zero or negative score is better meaning under par. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that Yahtzee (and its variants) is a good quick light game. It's not "Drang Nach Osten" but you don't always want something that deep.

There is some light strategy to this and it makes a nice social game. It's also good for kids. It teaches them something about probabilities. And I think almost any kid loves to roll handfuls of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of a different triple Yahtzee, where you score the ordinary amount for all three scoresheets, but you must go through one of them forwards and one of them backwards, with the third one just being normal. That is to say, you can add a score to any of the three sheets, but on the first sheet you must start with the aces section, then 2s, etc., working downwards, and on the second sheet you must start with an entry in the chance section, then the Yahtzee section, etc., working upwards. There's no restriction on the order in which you add scores to third sheet.

I've never actually played like that (I've not played Yahtzee for over a decade now), but it sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an electronic hand-held Yathzee I bought at the drug store and keep in my purse for those waiting times - doctor's office, DMV, etc. Its something to do, and I also play with a high score in mind. The bar keeps rising. I'm up to any game that doesn't have at least three Yathzees in it doesn't stand a chance when I get to five Yathzee's I zero out the high score and start again. One of my favorites of the older games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Potter
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yathzee remains one of my favorite games. I like all the many variants I've seen. One of the best is Showdown Yathzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with all. This is a good light game. When I was a child this was an interesting way to think about probability...what are the chances that I will roll a Yahtzee...if not how can I use this roll to my advantage? If not anything else it made me realize that I had no choice on what the die rolls generated, but I did have a choice on how to use the results. This element of luck vs. choice is what I emphasize with my child now as we go to conventions and test out games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Cabrera
Philippines
Antipolo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree. It's a fun game, I decided to download it on my cellphone.

One does not have to own the game itself to enjoy it. I don't own the game, just a set of five dice (I got lots of sets), some laminated score sheets, and a used cup-noodle container for a dice cup and I'm ready to go. And I still have fun doing both this and Triple Yahtzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Song
msg tools
Optimal strategy will yield an average score of 254.6, so I'd argue that an average of 250 is around "par". An experienced player can average higher than that.

An optimal player will also break 200 about 86% of the time. If you're not coming close to these numbers, you have a lot of room fro improvement. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.