Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi to all!

Has anyone tried a 2vs 2 variant?
We plan a 4-player session on Saturday and we would like to try a team game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally untested but it seems something simple like this would work:

Play normally.
When one player reaches 15 points it's the end.
The team with the most cumulated points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest adding up the teams score and for example the first team to get to 20 wins.
Or if you really want a real team feel mix 4 decks for each team.
You each have you own hand but share deck and discard pile. Turns go 1324 with player 1 and 2 on one team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
How about playing through all 16 bases and see which team ended up with the most combined total points? Or x amount of bases if you feel that grinding through them all would eat up your entire Saturday..

Edit: Either way, tell us how you guys ended up playing and how it worked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Birch
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually me and my friends are the first to try team variants, but we haven't been able to get together too often lately, so haven't gotten to it yet.

Another version I would love to try is a combination of 3 factions each player and see if that gives any interesting combinations. Might need the expansion first to make that work with 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your replies!

I think we might try to play until one player reaches 15 and then add scores for each team.
One thing I was wondering though is whether bases would be scored by player or by team, the latter meaning that we would only score VPs for place 1 and 2. IF we score by player, it means that a team can score VPs for 1st and 2nd place while the other could score only for 3rd place (or even nothing!). This would make for some "explosive" games from times to times I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, so we played 2 team games with the following rules:
1. Game ends when 1 player reaches 15
2. Add scores of both players to get total VP for each team
3. Bases are scored individually, i.e., first player gets max VP, 2nd player gets 2nd place VPs...independently of team
4. One issue we had was with cards that have a negative impact on all players, such as some of the Tricksters' cards (Gremlin, Leprechaun, Flame Trap...). We played as if the teammate of the Trickster player was also affected by those cards but he argued that it made some of the cards a bit weak...His idea was to consider all cards that say "another player" as not affecting your teammate.
What do you think?

Anyhow, we had quite some fun, and I think it will become our favorite way of playing 2 vs. 2 as it is a bit less chaotic than FFA and allows for more strategy during race drafting as you must try to draft something that has synergies with your partner's races (e.g., drafting Aliens when your partner has Zombies is a good way to protect him...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reporting.

As for the teammate issue, I think it's better playing as written, because some cases will rise even more discussion and because I think a good for a bad is actually more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, that was my argument as well. However, we had a quick look at the cards and it turns out there aren't many cards that say "other player" or "another player"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raistlin
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play same as you wrote, but with the variant "Players can choose to be or to be not affected by card effects played by their teammates".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lariviere
msg tools
I have done team a few times and I go with normal game but the winning team is whichever team has the most combined points when a player reaches 15.

the only difference is when it comes to kill spells and stuff like that. Things that would normally kill you (Such as Cub Scout) instead only affects opponents. (Otherwise you may as well just play a normal game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a pretty common 2v2 variant, and I think Parsat made the original thread on it. Teammates sit across from each other, the game ends when one player hits 15 or more, and the team with the most points wins. Overtime triggers off of the team score.

Bases are scored by player, and while two teammates tying for first on a base score serious points, it's also very hard to engineer against awake opposition. Teammates are "other players" and you can give them cards with Elves or Madness cards with Elder Things, etc. This works well in most cases - Tricksters are weak no matter what.

Assuming you draft or otherwise use pretty balanced decks, 2v2 has a lot less luck factor than 4P FFA since if one player gets a garbage draw their teammate can help them slow the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.