Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find a suitable forum for this, but wanted to remove it from the Geekmod Beta thread.

I don't really understand the technical language of 'Cropping' and 'Glare', etc. What does it mean? And what makes an image the wrong size, and how can I change the size of an image I have in my hard drive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Couldn't find a suitable forum for this, but wanted to remove it from the Geekmod Beta thread.

I don't really understand the technical language of 'Cropping' and 'Glare', etc. What does it mean? And what makes an image the wrong size, and how can I change the size of an image I have in my hard drive?

One word: Photoshop

Cropping is to cut away the extraneous bits of the image. For example, if you have two tiny figures in the middle of great big blank background, that image needs to be cropped.

There is also a minimum size for images (I can't remember what it is, but it's on the page where you upload images.

Glare is usually the result of shooting a flash at a reflective object (like a shrinkwrapped board game).

I've done some image modding lately, and I'm shocked at the number of bad images and images that have not been resized AT ALL! Just dumped straight from the camera to the hard drive then uploaded to the geek. Really, images don't have to be 3000 pixels wide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone has Photoshop. I have Olympus Master, which came 'free' with the camera (camera cost £110). I have tried to crop images on it, but a) it only allows me to select a rectangle, to remain.
and b) it doesn't display the cropped image when I try to upload it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Not everyone has Photoshop. I have Olympus Master, which came 'free' with the camera (camera cost £110). I have tried to crop images on it, but a) it only allows me to select a rectangle, to remain.
and b) it doesn't display the cropped image when I try to upload it.

a) is cropping.

On most programs I've used you then have to save the new image as a new file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cropping is simply trimming off the excess portions of the image that are not useful. Some images could be significantly improved if cropped and only the subject in question were shown. Take for instance some of the pictures on the War of the Ring or Doom page. The pics showing a single painted figure by it self that occupies 25% of the image and the other 75% is just blank space really could be made better by cropping out the background and leaving the subject by itself.

Glare problems most often happen when taking a pic of somthing with a shiny surface (box top or cards) while using a flash. The flash is reflected off the shiny surface causing a portion of the object that is photographed to be washed out and, if there's text or detail, not particularly useful.

As for changing the size of an image; this is best accomplished with the use of a photoediting software. Cropping and other forms of manipulating a photo are easily done there as well. There's quite a lot of software availible and most PCs come preloaded with some version or another nowadays. You also may get some basic version with the purchase of a digital camera. (Come to think of it, I think my digital camera will let me crop a picture on the camera using the little preview pane)

An uncropped photo:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/82828

A cropped photo:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/82827

Glare: (only in the bottom right, but if the camera/flash were straight on the whoel figure would be washed out)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/76797

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the manual or the help section for Olympus Master. Maybe you need to hit enter or duble click in the rectangle to actually crop the image. Remember to make a copy of the image before you do any editing. Work only with the copy while editing in case something goes wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help people!

I still don't get what makes an image the wrong size. I mean, all my images are the same size, surely? (shot by the same camera).

I am going to bed now. Good night all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

I still don't get what makes an image the wrong size. I mean, all my images are the same size, surely? (shot by the same camera).

Yes but they are (or might be) judged by different people each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

I am going to bed now. Good night all.

Even if all your pictures are of the same size some of them might have "the wrong size". According to my opinion a huge picture of e.g. a game box might be motivated since it allows you to see all the details of the box. However, a picture with the same size of e.g. a pair of dice might have the "wrong size" since it could be much smaller and still be a great picture of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.irfanview.com - freeware

It can resize a bunch of pictures in one go. Cropping is easy when you know how. Just draw a box and press ctrl+y and everything outside the box are cut away.

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Picasa is nice too, but you have to export the pictures before uploading, but easier to use - besides the exporting part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
www.irfanview.com - freeware

Oh Yeah! I've been an irfanview user for years. I highly recommend it for cropping, resizing, batch processing, fine rotation, transformation (one format in/save as another format), etc. It's amazing how many file extensions are supported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's also the Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/). It's an open source program, with a Windows version available.

Quote:
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.