Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else had any experience with this and dealing with the USPS?
What is my best course of action?

The package was shipped as part of a trade more than 14 days ago and it still has not arrived. (Shipping between NJ and OH was only supposed to be 3-4 days.) The tracking information given by the person from who I traded appears correct and shows acceptance at the post office over two weeks ago but nothing more than that. (It does not report delivery, so it appears the USPS still has it somewhere.)

I looked at the USPS website but I don't see any real useful information on reporting or inquiring about delayed or presumed lost parcels.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you sent it parcel post or media rate, don't panic. I had the same thing happen. That's why I just pay the extra $2 or whatever and use priority mail.
If you used priority mail, you could be in trouble. The post office will say, "That's why you buy insurance."
Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have usually had a 2-3 day delivery is Priority Mail, but once has a package get lost for over 3 weeks. I ended up trading something else to the recipient, then the original package arrived... Most confusing trade ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either you or the sender can go to the post office an authorize a "package trace". I have done this twice in the past, and it worked both times. One was a boxed game, the other was a brown-wrapped software book where the book was separated from the wrap. Just don't expect immediate results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
In my business we do a lot of mail order. For the most part the USPS does a fantastic job but things happen. I recently had a priority package take 2+ weeks to arrive. Turned out the clerk at the post office mistyped the zipcode for the priority stamp. Priority packages are shipped using the barcodes, not someone actually reading the address label until it gets to the city it's intended. In this case instead of going to California my package with it's incorrect barcode went to Florida and once there had to be rerouted back to California. Caused some hand wringing as you can imagine as it was a rather expensive piece of 1930s collectable English Porcelain.

On the otherhand I've had packages arrive with amazing speed. Last year I actually got a package from Britain to Kansas City in 48 hours. I was amazed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've shipped outgoing books and had them disappear, but I had wrapped them in thick paper and then wrapped that with packing tape, and I'm 90 percent certain the paper ripped away at some point. I wrote it off--it cost me $90. Ugh. Now I use Tyvek envelopes with padding, they are cheap and bulletproof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input everyone!

Just when I was losing hope the tracking information changed this morning:

Quote:
Your item was processed and left our WARRENDALE, PA 15095 facility on January 21, 2006. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

I'll think I'll wait a little longer now that I can see the package is moving my way (slowly but it is moving). Two and a half weeks to cross Pennsylvania. What do you think, another two weeks to cross Ohio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! I was just down near Warrendale yesterday (Steelers game/party). I could have picked the package up and brought it back to Ohio for you.... If they allowed that sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just had a similar experience myself.

I ordered someting and it shipped on Janurary 13. Yesterday, since it still hadn't shown, I emailed the shipper. He sent me a tracking number and it showed that a "Missed You" note was left on the 23rd and that the package itself was delivered on the 24th.

Just not to me.

So I call the post office to find out what's happening. Surprise, they're no help. They tell me to call back the next morning and talk to the carrier to see IF HE CAN REMEMBER WHERE HE LEFT IT. Oy.

Anyway, I got home last night (the 26th) and it was in my mailbox. Still no idea what the heck happened. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official phone number for help is

1-800-ASK-USPS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob crachet
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I too am waiting for a package from Wilkes-Barre PA to CT. They said it should've been here Jan 28, but it is now Feb 3 and we'll see if it comes this morning. First class mail? yeah right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.