Subject: Frustrations with Geek Mod. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I spent the afternoon setting up and taking photos for a new project I'm working on for the geek.

I submitted 13 Pictures related to this project so upon their (hopeful) approval I could create the Geeklist I have in-mind.

The idea is to create a collection of pictures relating to games for the express purpose of disambiguating the games physical size. But instead of a boring ruler in-shot I would like to use something who's size it very well known to most BGGers, A Carcassonne tile!

Thus "The Carcassonne Project" would strive to compare different game's components to the size of a Carcassonne tile

Unfortunately 80% of the photos were declined siting "too similar" "and irrelevant to subject." I imagine the geeks using the Geek-mod image see the Carc Tile in the shot for Lord of the Rings Confrontation and immediately reject the image as "irrelevant" when not only is it a RELEVANT image it is USEFUL in that it clearly demonstrates the size of the pieces and board!

Any suggestions for how I can push more Carcassone Project related images through geek-mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could explain the purpose of the pictures in the "Image Comments" section. Just noting "Carcassone Project" doesn't help, since none of us knew what that was until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submit the images 1 at a time, wait for it to be Approved and then put in a new one. That should result in fewer 'Similar' declines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would NOT use a Carc tile.

New users unfamiliar with a game may assume it is a component, and many users may have no idea how big a Carc tile is. It may simply add to confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, "Carc tile showing scale" would better explain what your purpose is, and it would age better with time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would NOT use a Carc tile.

How 'bout a meeple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cool idea, but the engineer in me finds something like this...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89630

...to be just so much more useful.

I know, I'm a bore. snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if I'm the only one who thinks this way, but just increasing the number of photos purely for the creation of a single geeklist and in so doing potentially confusing viewers of game photos into believing that the game may contain tiles when it doesn't, doesn't seem to me to be a good use of geek resources. I certainly would reject these photos as irrelevant or too similar and hopefully many others would!

I'm happy to be corrected by others who may find this an interesting project. The only time I think you really need scale indication however is when something is particularly larger or smaller than might be expected and has been commented on as such in game descriptions, comments or reviews.

Unfortunately, given the inconsistencies of Geek Mod that have already been expressed and that you have reported, it looks like over a period of time and with retries most decent taken and sized images will manage to get on! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upload the images online, and then link to them using the IMG button:
IMG enclosed in square brackets, followed by the web address of your picture (for example http://yourwebsite.com/meeple.jpg ), followed by /IMG enclosed in square brackets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrocWrestler wrote:
Upload the images online, and then link to them using the IMG button:
IMG enclosed in square brackets, followed by the web address of your picture (for example http://yourwebsite.com/meeple.jpg ), followed by /IMG enclosed in square brackets.

But make sure it's a permanet place without bandwith limitations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
pallwood wrote:
Apologies if I'm the only one who thinks this way, but just increasing the number of photos purely for the creation of a single geeklist and in so doing potentially confusing viewers of game photos into believing that the game may contain tiles when it doesn't, doesn't seem to me to be a good use of geek resources. I certainly would reject these photos as irrelevant or too similar and hopefully many others would!

If only I had spent the time taking, cropping and correcting levels on the photos on making a "What I just ordered from Though Hammer" geeklist instead!

How many BGG users are going to be ill-informed enough to think, and then care, that an extra tile is included in a game because it appears in a picture?

I do agree my naming convention could use some work. I think including "(Carcassonne tile included for scale)" is a much better way to go.

But perhaps this isn't an idea worth anymore time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
It's a cool idea, but the engineer in me finds something like this...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89630

...to be just so much more useful.

But nobody marked the units! I look at it and think centimeters but the divisions suggest inches. I'll have to load up on mm-square paper and start photographing components.

When moderating images, what I notice is that nobody ever bothers to scale the output of many-megapixel cameras. Most of the images were too big for anyone to show on a screen and didn't benefit from the resolution (unlike counter scans). I only marked images as too big if at full resolution they were blurry or otherwise messed up, but the alternative was to reject almost everything. We need size standards, or at least a check box which says `don't automatically rescale this image' and resizing of everything else larger than 1600x1200 or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is getting off topic but...

The photo upload page declares 300x220 to be the minimum size, and the GeekMod page declares 3000x2000 to be the maximum size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But do we really need a photo of someone playing a game to be 8 megapixels? i know i won't print a big poster of it.

For most pictures a max of 1600 X 1200 would be more than enough. If someone uploads a 5 megapixel picture of a meeple, it's just lazyness and GG greed.

I approve pictures way, way larger than i like because the guidelines say i have to, but every time i feel the urge to decline.

Why not make geekmod downsize to 1024*768 (in that ballpark). If a countersheet scan is needed it could be uploaded in the file area. It belongs there anyway.

I highly doubt that anyone are looking at the ordinary pictures anywhere but on the screen.

Maybe the reason some people doesn't view the full size picture in geekmod are that some files are over 2mb - i see no need for a 2mb image at all...

If it's a player aid or somthing similar... that's another story, but then it's uploaded in the file area.

A limit on filesize for images would save bandwith and cause less serverload.

On www.w1k.com - a photoshop (and more) contest site they have a limit on file size.... and the whole site lives on images. Why do we need 3mb images here then?

Here's a little something form their faq:

Quote:
What’s size should entries be to fit on your page?
Don’t worry about it. Worth1000 will resize your images for you to best fit our site. Try to keep your images under 200,000 bytes in file size though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pallwood wrote:

I'm happy to be corrected by others who may find this an interesting project. The only time I think you really need scale indication however is when something is particularly larger or smaller than might be expected and has been commented on as such in game descriptions, comments or reviews.

Unfortunately, given the inconsistencies of Geek Mod that have already been expressed and that you have reported, it looks like over a period of time and with retries most decent taken and sized images will manage to get on! shake

You're not the only one that thinks that way. While interesting for a geek list someone is developing, they don't necessarily belong in the games image collection. I'd call them irrelevant if the only thing different from the other game photos was a carcassonne tile. They then should be rejected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually, I hope all all the max. and min. requirments are listed on the Geek Mod page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfons wrote:
For most pictures a max of 1600 X 1200 would be more than enough. If someone uploads a 5 megapixel picture of a meeple, it's just lazyness and GG greed.

I'm pretty inexperienced with my camera and digital image manipulation. I have a 5MP camera, but I don't know how to change the size of the pictures before I upload them. I don't know the size in pixels of a 5MP photo. How many MP is 1600 x 1200?

alfons wrote:
Maybe the reason some people doesn't view the full size picture in geekmod are that some files are over 2mb - i see no need for a 2mb image at all...

If it's a player aid or somthing similar... that's another story, but then it's uploaded in the file area.

A limit on filesize for images would save bandwith and cause less serverload.

Would it save on bandwidth? I thought I read in one of the forums, that the larger files don't download unless you actually click the full size link.

alfons wrote:
On www.w1k.com - a photoshop (and more) contest site they have a limit on file size.... and the whole site lives on images. Why do we need 3mb images here then?

Here's a little something form their faq:

Quote:
What’s size should entries be to fit on your page?
Don’t worry about it. Worth1000 will resize your images for you to best fit our site. Try to keep your images under 200,000 bytes in file size though.

Flickr resizes photos automatically when they are uploaded, though, IMO, they're a little small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the OT, I think a Carcassonne tile, while a clever idea, probably isn't the best for size comparison. A metric & english ruler would be ideal but, barring that, something relatively universal and close at hand would be great. A quarter wouldn't mean much to non-Americans, but it would be fine for me.

I would love to see some sort of scale in the photos - I've been surprised several times at the actual size of a game box when I get it in the mail (Intrige is about 4 x 5"?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
I'm pretty inexperienced with my camera and digital image manipulation. I have a 5MP camera, but I don't know how to change the size of the pictures before I upload them. I don't know the size in pixels of a 5MP photo. How many MP is 1600 x 1200?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/775853

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever image resolution and file size requirements are established, they need to be widely shared with the Geek Mods. Several people stated on the GeekMod thread and elsewhere that they won't approve a picture uniless it's *at least* 1024 x 768 in size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie should set a minimum and maximum resolution, remove the too small+too big delcine reasons and have automatic system rejection.

A file size limit is another way to go - maybe even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to be mean here, but I keep hearing from users (including in this thread) that they have no clue when it comes to image manipulation--including the basics of changing image size, resolution, cropping, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I think BEFORE anyone decides they're going to upload a bunch of images to the geek, they should be responsible enough to take the time to get the basics of image manipulation down. There are easy and free image manipulation programs out there, as mentioned by others in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have on occasion been accused of grumpiness. Glad to see I'm not alone. Since so many of the images here on BGG have obviously been uploaded straight from camera without editing, it isn't unreasonable for new users to follow the herd. We can encourage them not to, but lets not get all worked up about it.

Alfons, from what I understand the best size for the image changes with what the image shows. Which suggests automatic resizing or size limits would be unhelful, at least at the margins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A size cap of 200kb will go a long way for screen use. Anything larger than that (for prints larger than A4/legal size) the file area would be the right place to upload, as that would be for player aids, alternative boards etc.

The pictures aren't shown in full size by default, what's the use for 8mp images?

The only reason to have pictures that big are lazyness. Check www.worth1000.com and see how far 200kb will take you. Maybe you have to register to view full - can't remember....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I have on occasion been accused of grumpiness. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Grumpiness is one of my better qualities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.