flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Im honestly baffled by this:
Quote:
Buddhist monks in central China are up in arms over government plans to demolish large sections of a Tang dynasty temple along the ancient Silk Road.

Local officials reportedly want to bulldoze nearly two-thirds of the Xingjiao temple complex in Xi'an, apparently in order to restore the sanctuary to its original style.

The revamp is part of a campaign to achieve UNESCO World Heritage site status.

"Some buildings will be demolished because it would make the environment more elegant," Zhang Ning, the head of the local Ethnic and Religious Affairs Bureau, told the Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper this week. A report in the Shanghai Daily newspaper claimed the buildings would be "rebuilt with a new and prettier look."

But the proposal has left local monks and Chinese micro-bloggers aghast.

The sections in question are over 100 and 400 years old, why would you want to destroy that history? Itd be much easier/better to just attach a sign to said buildings giving their background, when they were added and why.

So lets destroy history, to apply to be a historical site? Really? shake

Full Article:
Buddhist monks outraged at plans to bulldoze centuries-old temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to RSP from Wargame subdomain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

Can we send it back due to lack of interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Indeed. Mod fail. This was posted in 'Historical Context' which has the following:
Historical Context
Discussion of history, current events, and news items that relate to topics covered in wargames

It does perhap lack the attachment of a 'wargame' but so do a ton of threads in that section. If it lacked the 'wargame' part I figured it would be moved to AWOL.

Sorry RSP'ers, didnt intend for it to end up here, as it has nothing to do with RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Indeed. Mod fail. This was posted in 'Historical Context' which has the following:
Historical Context
Discussion of history, current events, and news items that relate to topics covered in wargames

It does perhap lack the attachment of a 'wargame' but so do a ton of threads in that section.

Sorry RSP'ers, didnt intend for it to end up here, as it has nothing to do with RSP.

Don't worry. Someone will turn it into a thread about gun control within ten minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine, I've moved it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Fine, I've moved it back.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See what happens when you let the capitalists control your country?

Why must these religious people stand in the way of historical improving progress?

Sounds like some monks need to get laid.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
See what happens when you let the capitalists control your country?

Why must these religious people stand in the way of historical improving progress?

Sounds like some monks need to get laid.

devil

Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:

The thread celebrating Margaret Thatcher's death you leave up in wargames general but this you move to RSP in 10 seconds. Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of staying on the OP's topic cool, I wonder if 100 to 400 year-old buildings don't carry the same weight in China as they would here in North America, where a 400 year-old building would be truly remarkable.

Imagine as an example if someone wanted to certify the Roman Forum as a World Heritage site but realized that they needed to tear a 400 year-old building down to make the Forum site like it was in its glory days. The loss of a 400 year-old building in the context of a 2,000+ year-old historical site doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Don't get me wrong, from a headline level it seems odd to want to destroy history in order to save it*, but not all history is the same.

* There's another oblique tie to wargaming, as in Dwight Eisenhower's famous quote, "We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmccalpin wrote:
At the risk of staying on the OP's topic cool, I wonder if 100 to 400 year-old buildings don't carry the same weight in China as they would here in North America, where a 400 year-old building would be truly remarkable.

Imagine as an example if someone wanted to certify the Roman Forum as a World Heritage site but realized that they needed to tear a 400 year-old building down to make the Forum site like it was in its glory days. The loss of a 400 year-old building in the context of a 2,000+ year-old historical site doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Don't get me wrong, from a headline level it seems odd to want to destroy history in order to save it*, but not all history is the same.

* There's another oblique tie to wargaming, as in Dwight Eisenhower's famous quote, "We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it." devil

I think you are correct Michael, makes sense. I have a Trajan Denarius and its very hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it has existed for almost 2 millenia. Where as someone who has grown up in Rome surrounded by things much larger and older than my little coin would have some grasp of the concept.

Still to think about how many historical things have been lost over the years, Id still like to see it preserved once its gone we can't get it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Davis
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmccalpin wrote:

It's funny that you should mention the Roman forum, since it is only visible today because many hundreds of Medieval and Renaissance buildings were torn down under orders from Mussolini during the 1920s and 30s.

I'm always suspicious of "restorations" of old buildings. Many are very unsympathetic or even completely wrong. At Colonial Williamsburg, 200-year-old buildings were torn down in favor of replicas of 350-year-old buildings that had themselves been torn down over 200 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foggybottom wrote:
It's funny that you should mention the Roman forum, since it is only visible today because many hundreds of Medieval and Renaissance buildings were torn down under orders from Mussolini during the 1920s and 30s.

I'm always suspicious of "restorations" of old buildings. Many are very unsympathetic or even completely wrong. At Colonial Williamsburg, 200-year-old buildings were torn down in favor of replicas of 350-year-old buildings that had themselves been torn down over 200 years ago.

I was concerned that the Roman Forum wasn't the best example, but it was the first one that came to mind. Interesting that it has already been "remuddled" by Mussolini. As an old house owner, I totally understand what you say about restorations: half my project time is spent correcting something that someone thoughtfully "fixed" for me some decades ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.