4 Posts

Horus Heresy (2010)» Forums » Rules

Subject: question about differrence between defeat and rout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Grevenbroich
flag msg tools
I just read the rules(german) and I am not sure that I understand the difference between defeat and rout.

1. Defeat
a) defender
It is not allowed to defeat if there is an rout marker in the area of the defending unit. I can move to an adjecent fiendly or neutral area and have to depose a rout marker there

b) aggressor
I have to stay in the source area and have to depose a rout marker there. If there is already a rout marker - I can not defeat.

2. Rout
a) defender
I have to move to an adjecent friendly or neutral area.Then I have to depose a rout marker in the - new - area- If there is already a rout marker it is not allowed to rout - the unit is destroyed.

b) aggressor
The aggressing unit stays in the source area. Then ther is a rout marker deposed. If there is already one it is not allowed to rout- the uniot is destroyed.

If there is a rout marker in the new field I can not rout.
Why is in the rules explained that there is not an additional rout marker to depose if there is already one cause in this case routing is not possible?

One more question:
Why is on page 29 - fight example - written that the imperial player can not use the speciality (retreat) of his first card (with three fighting points)?

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It often helps to use the terms the English rules use when asking questions - the FFG site is great for that because it has downloadable PDFs of all of its rules. The ones for Horus Heresy are here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

I think in 1. you're talking about retreating, right? If that's the case, both a) and b) are correct. 2. is also correct, both a) and b) of it.

You're right, there doesn't seem to be much justification for not adding another routed marker if the area already has a routed marker. My memory is hazy, but maybe there's effects somewhere that let you rout to places that already have a routed marker?

About page 29, the effect of Strategic Withdrawal only works for a Defending Unit, and it was played by the attacking player. That's why he can't use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Grevenbroich
flag msg tools
Thank you for your help.

But on page 29 the card is played by the defender. In the example the chaos player attacks the imperial player. The defending imperial player played the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
GonzoDerGrosse wrote:
Thank you for your help.

But on page 29 the card is played by the defender. In the example the chaos player attacks the imperial player. The defending imperial player played the card.

Oh, you're right. Yeah, the imperial player could use the Strategic Withdrawal ability there. Guess he doesn't want to and the rulebook's wording is misleadingly wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.