Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have recently been interested in purchasing a War Game or something similar that would have lots of direct conflict for 3-4 players.

I've already done a fair amount of research into this and the games that stand out the most to me are Friedrich, A Game of Thrones, and Andean Abyss.

I would prefer it to be more Strategic than Diplomatic (although some Diplomacy is fine), and am aiming for 2-4 hours game time.

Thanks,
Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones can get pretty diplomatic. It's strategic certainly, but you almost need some level of diplomacy to work yourself into a win.

Almost any 3+ player game with a lot of direct conflict is going to have the potential for meta-gaming and diplomacy/negotition. It's just the inherant nature of multiplayer conflict games.

Some others to consider:

Antike - pretty sweet euro/wargame/civ game
Imperial
Tigris & Euphrates - euro tile/laying affair, but a lot of conflict
Dominant Species - euro area control + worker placement game, with a lot of conflict.
Here I Stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet or Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strike of the Eagle does that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are already interested in Friedrich you could also have a glance at Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Baker
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrRome wrote:
I've already done a fair amount of research into this and the games that stand out the most to me are Friedrich, A Game of Thrones, and Andean Abyss.

What is it about those games that stands out to you? Knowing that would help make a better recommendation.

Are you looking for something with a lot of dice or very little? Do you want it to be historical, or not, or doesn't matter? How much chaos do you want in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far.

A Game of Thrones was mostly interesting because of it's general praise and its nice components. The heavy diplomacy that it seems to feature is what is holding me back.

Friedrich looks good because it was designed in a way to not have much diplomacy and it seems Strategic. I was looking at Maria as well, and while it does seem better, Friedrich supporting 4 players is making me lean towards it.

Andean Abyss looks interesting because of the system it uses for actions as well as the Asymmetrical nature of the game. It also appears to be more of just a combat game while most others are more slanted that way.

I would prefer luck to not be too influential in it, but am looking for some sort of randomizing factor to allow for better replay value.

I do have Imperial 2030 and Cyclades as games that provide a high level of player interaction but the combat in that game is secondary to the rest, and I would like a game where combat is the main focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do A Game of Thrones. It's not that great of game and it's definitely not great with 4 players. I would also call it more diplomatic than strategic. There's not deep planning on thinking, "I'm going to go grab Moat Caitlin" but rather negotiation skills in telling the Lannisters, "I'm going to grab Moat Caitlin because I have to. If you interfere, I won't have any choice but to pour everything I have into kicking you out so really, you're better served going south or east."

How about Rex? I've only played the original Dune version but it's a classic and I haven't run into anybody yet who disliked it. It has some negotiation but really it's more shared scheming/strategizing as you ally with someone to take down everybody else. I'd also second Tigris & Euphrates and Dominant Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something different, you may want to look up Successors.

3rd Ed. is pretty steeply priced at the moment, but 2nd Ed. is cheap and contains all the same components (aside from the cards, but they aren't too different). Just download 3rd Ed. rules from GMT. I've played 3rd Ed and 2nd Ed components with 3rd Ed rules, both ways several times, and both offer a very similar experience. The preference should be 3rd Ed, but 2nd works in a pinch. It is a fantastic game with multiple ways to win, and it always manages to surprise. The rules are less complicated than Game of Thrones, but it offers a much deeper strategy experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Grant
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

For more than 2 players is it played as teams or is it free for all?

Edit: Also, is there a way to easily tell what games support 4 players while browsing the games database? I've basically just been clicking on each war game to see the number of players they support (it's usually 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SotE is played in teams

As for your question:
http://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=bggrating&adv...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
How about Rex? I've only played the original Dune version but it's a classic and I haven't run into anybody yet who disliked it. It has some negotiation but really it's more shared scheming/strategizing as you ally with someone to take down everybody else. I'd also second Tigris & Euphrates and Dominant Species.

Rex is really best with 5-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Runewars, Clash of Cultures, or Dominant Species for something deeper. Kemet or Nexus Ops would be great if you feel like something that is lighter/shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poserdisposer wrote:
I would recommend Runewars, Clash of Cultures.

Both are great games, but I would call neither of those "heavy conflict".

They do have conflict, but it is not the core of the game.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a wargame, but if you are receptive for something that plays in an hour, has good-natured conflict with a little bit of chaos and randomness without overpowering strategy, check out Discworld:Ankh-Morpork. It scales very well for 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Tigris & Euphrates. Consider El Grande too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich without question. Brilliant game. Another one not yet mentioned would be Academy Games' 1812: The Invasion of Canada that, while "lighter", plays from 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the awesome

Space Empires: 4X

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game could do the trick although first game could be more than 2-4 hours and you've got dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I concur with several others - Friedrich seems ideal for what you're looking for. I prefer Maria a bit more, but Friedrich is still great.

To make Game of Thrones good for 4, you need to get the Storm of Swords expansion, which is hard to get. And there's quite a bit of diplomacy required in this game, so probably not ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Friedrich without question. Brilliant game. Another one not yet mentioned would be Academy Games' 1812: The Invasion of Canada that, while "lighter", plays from 2-5 players.

More of a 2 or 5 player game. Four players means somebody plays two armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie Tsang
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:

Eclipse is more euro than conflict though.

I think you should check out some war games such as Samurai Battles and just play a team variant 2 vs. 2.
Most of the board games that feature heavy battles involve heavy diplomacy too, unless it is a tactical skirmish game. It is hard for a game to be strategic w/o diplomatic elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
I'm surprised on one has yet mentioned the awesome

Space Empires: 4X

BOb

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.