Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T K
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'm friends with the management of the Ottawa Tavern, 1815 Adams St, and I've been holding intermittent gaming nights there on Tuesdays. This week was my most successful gathering thus far; even though only 4 people specifically came to game, we were later able to rope some other patrons into playing some fun social deduction games with us. A breakdown of games played follows.

Race for the Galaxy - I was alone and waiting for people to show up. A guy (we'll call him N) showed up with Eminent Domain and Elder Sign, and after some talking we decided to play a game of Race for the Galaxy. This was a close game and a lot of fun since I've spent so much time with the Keldon AI that I forgot how much better it is face-to-face. I lost even though he hadn't played it in years, haha, but at least I was able to identify my weak points!

Yomi - N had to leave so he could feed some children, but before that K showed up and it turned out they had both played Magic against each other at a defunct local game store about 10 years ago, which was cool. K had brought Yomi, Puzzle Strike, and Ticket to Ride, so we decided to have a match of Yomi before our friends R & T showed up (car trouble). I've only played a few times, but we had a rousing match-up of Grave (me) vs. Argagarg. I lost again, but I had expected to and felt satisfied that I'd managed to get him down to 12 health :)

The Red Dragon Inn - R & T showed up with another bag of games, and after some discussion all four of us agreed to play their game The Red Dragon Inn. This was a light fun affair with plenty of ganging up on whoever was leading. After some initial bad luck, I got some good cards (as Fiona the Volatile) and was lucky enough to be the last one standing as the other three players took each other out or had some bad drink draws.

The Resistance: Avalon - I was so happy to get this to the table as I've only managed to play it with a group once so far, and they weren't as into it as I. We got two other bar patrons to play with us, and R was able to explain it far more effectively than I as he has much experience with the original version. We played with Merlin as the only special card, and as luck would have it I ended up being Merlin. It was really tough to try to convince my fellow good guys to leave one of the spies off the teams that were formed with logic rather than outright pronouncements, as they had correctly guessed one of the spies but they thought the newcomer was the other spy rather than K. After the spies won missions 2 and 3, I was desperately rejecting the teams, but was overruled (I would have been able to assemble a good team if one more team had been rejected! Blast) and the spies ended up winning mission 4 as well. Everyone had a blast, and I was heartened to learn I had not been suspected of being Merlin (Pyrrhic victory).

Werewolf ("fiver-wolf") - R & T had brought their copy of werewolf and we roped in some of my friends who'd just gotten off work for some quick plays of werewolf. Everyone had a lot of fun accusing people of being the werewolf, and my only regret is that I was lynched the first day on the play where I got the werewolf card, thus not being able to eat anyone :(

tl;dr version: Come out to gaming nights on Tuesdays at 8 pm - ? for some fun times gaming! We had a lot more games that I'm sure will get played more in the future. The place is a little dark (I'm sure they'd turn it up if we packed it), but the food is great and they have a pretty good beer selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.