United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
We had the situation arise where the bull rusher struck two gladiators lined up in combat. We played that both were shoved towards the wall, but that when one guy struck the wall, the other remained in the space next to the wall uninjured, and the minotaur was therefore two spaces from the wall.

Is that about right?

Oh, and only one of the gladiators (the dude first struck, and not the dude that died) rolled the defense die. Nobody had stand your ground or dodge. Should the second gladiator have rolled defense too? It was his life on the line (as we played it)!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrickWarriors LLC
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
During testing we decided that if there are two gladiators in a row then the second player acts as a blocker and neither can be bull rushed.

On page 11 of the rules number 8 under Calculating Damage states:

8. If any damage is done, the defending gladiator moves backwards one space and the attacking gladiator moves forward one space.
NOTE: If there is another gladiator behind the defending gladiator, no gladiators are moved.

As a result, I would apply the same idea to bull rush. I think that bull rush is already one of the more powerful specials in the game, so it's kind of nice to allow players to work together to defend against it by getting in a row. One of them could always double cross the other and move out of the way just before the Minotaur's turn though!

That brings up another point. What if there are two gladiators in a row and they are both within 3 spaces of the wall, and the one closest to the wall has dodge? In that case, I think that three things would have to happen for a bull rush to work:

1. Bull rusher must roll successfully
2. Player further from the wall must not roll a 6
3. Player closest to the wall must roll a 4, 5, or 6 to successfully dodge

The result would be that the dodger moves to the side, the bull rushed player is dead, and the bull rusher would end up in the space in front of the wall.

That being said...if you think it makes the game more fun to allow a bull rusher to plow through multiple players, go right ahead! In that case, I think both players would roll defense. If either player rolled a six on defense then the bull rush would be unsuccessful.

Assuming both players were within three spaces of the wall, I think it would be best to say that only the second players life is on the line. However, if the second player dodges then that would allow the bull rush to kill the first player, as stated in the example above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.