Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night again and I was really keen to play Terra Mystica, although the numbers made this a little tricky (9 people). We eventually settled on 3 groups of 3-and then one of the 3 people who had agreed to play Terra Mystica pulled out. Fortunately a visitor from Leeds (Jen) was willing to try the game for the first time.

I decided to go with the 3-player set up in the rulebook. I really wanted to try Alchemists and Barrie had played Witches last week, so he took Nomads and Jen played as Witches. Barrie was randomly selected as going first.

Barrie decided not to build his Stronghold on turn 1 but instead to build a Temple and take the Water 1 favour. Jen and I both went straight to strongholds and I began terraforming and upgraded my spade rate.

In the second round I think Barrie built the Sanctuary and took Air 1, while Jen and I built Temples, taking Air 2 because of the worker bonus due that round. I upgraded my Spade rate again, in time for the bonus points for Spades coming up in the third round.

I spent the third round busily turning the Eastern and Central continents into Swamp- the Eastern Continent is well suited to this being 50%* Swamp, Farmland and Lakes hexes, all of which form one contiguous block. I finished my first town at this point, taking a couple of workers to better aid the digging. Meanwhile Jen and Barrie were building more temples- Jen picked up Water 1 and Barrie Earth 1. I was liberally converting points into money but seemed to be fairly level with the others at this stage. Barrie was high up the Earth cult and earned money from the round end bonus as a result.

I think Barrie built his Stronghold in the Fourth Round. He was not very agressive with the Sandstorm, politely leaving me a Swamp space I had terraformed earlier but never got around to building on. There was a fair amount of competition on the cult tracks and my 2nd town went to boosting my position there. Barrie and Jen built towns too, Jen one and Barrie two. There were lots of bonus points scored in rounds 4 and 6 for building trading posts- Barrie and Jen of course getting double because of Water 1.

I reached the top of the Air track by the end of round 4 and the top of the Fire track (hotly pursued by Barrie) at the end of round 5. Barrie was top of the Earth track and Jen top of the Water track. None of us were interested in Shipping, except at the end of the game for some cheap VPs (which I eschewed since 1 Priest and 4 gold for 2 Vps is actually a net loss for the Alchemists!). So connected area had to be by land or bridge. In the end both Barrie and I had 9 connected buildings, Barrie's distributed between Central, Southern and Eastern continents and linked with bridges and mine all in the Central continent. Jen had less connected buildings, the penalty for the Witch stronghold ability.

I had quite a bit of material left over at game end, which was pretty wasteful- I mean Alchemists are meant to hoard money but extra workers and priests is just silly. Jen and Barrie were more efficient- and they deserved their joint victory on about 110 to my 100.

As Barrie pointed out, the three player game isn't as tight as the four-player and I probably won't be insisting on playing it next week (while still being keen on 4 or 5 player if we have the numbers). Those point scoring favours- Water 1, Earth 1, Air 1, are pretty good and the Temple first strategy for the Nomads seemed to work well. The board certainly looked quite different from last week, if only because of the large areas of swamp!

edit: * ok, 9/19 Swamp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.