Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth ...
United States
Augusta
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution is a solid game, but it has an obnoxious, chaotic endgame, based around the Spy/Apothecary/Viceroy. Who wins is sometimes determined on the last turn, and while you can plan to have good tokens, it just doesn't feel in your control.

The rules suggest an alternative: if a location is totally full, and only contains cubes of one color, the Spy and Apothecary cannot be used on it. I've only played one (three-player) game with these rules, but wow... it's waaaay better. The endgame isn't so chaotic and swingy, but big things can still happen. If you haven't tried this rule yet, I highly recommend that you do. We will probably play this way from now on.

I'm even thinking about a more dramatic version: once a location has all spots filled in, of ANY color(s), it cannot be targeted by the Spy or the Apothecary.

Have you guys played with this alternate rule? What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Might add further control to the game but personally I like the huge swings at the end. In our group if your foolish enough to get ahead of the pack you expect to get eaten. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdubarry wrote:
Sounds interesting . . .

surprisewow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I think it should follow the mechanic of the game...
...an extra blind bid (outside of normal bids) and once revealed used immediately in an extra non-blind bidding round to grant immunity to a building(s) for one turn...
That way, in a kingmaker situation, there is still an opportunity to take the lead and the kingmaker must use more resources to guard his buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth ...
United States
Augusta
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian Link, when would this alternate bidding round take place?

Anyway, I still think the Spy and Apothecary would be quite useful, especially during the main game. Just less chaos at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.