Subject: Endgame variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Microbadge: Tree HuggerMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: KGS user
According to the rules, once all your mice are either eaten or in a mouse hole, you still roll. You just do nothing unless you roll a cat, then you move the cat.

I and my daughter found this confusing and annoying. What's the fun of rolling, seeing a "3", and being able to do nothing about it?

Our variant: When you have no mice left, don't roll. Just move the cat to the next space.

This also means that once somebody is out of the game, watch out! The cat really screams around the board. Now jumping into mouse holes early can be good tactical play, because it means that the other players had better clear the track as well! Good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Dread RPG fanMicrobadge: Ambush! fanMicrobadge: 2010 Golden Geek WinnerMicrobadge: Radiohead fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
This sounds great, I like what it adds to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
Microbadge: Christopher Hitchens fanMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: The Young Ones fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Dead Kennedys fan
yeah this sounds like it might add a lot to the game actually.
I've just got the game for christmas 2013 and my kids love it especially mu 5 year old but after maybe a dozen plays I have to say the cat doesn't really pose to big a threat, this suggestion might just make it a bit more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls