16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best LCG for husband wife combo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
I'm mostly a boardgame player but I liked the idea of LCD's having enjoyed HBO's game of thrones card game as a taster.

I'm looking for my first LCD proper and I want to make the right investment first time round.

Criteria as follows:
- has to be great for 2 players
- play in under 1 hour
- we like dominion
- wife less of a fan of rftg, I've tried but failed to convert her
- money not a problem ie we can buy multiple deck starters
- we'll only play together not tournament play

Look forward to your thoughts

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Waldon
United States
Cobb
California
flag msg tools
Test
Well I think a big question is would you like to play cooperatively or not.

If the answer is yes then Lord of the Rings:The card game is perfect for you. It can be played solo or coop - the quests are challenging but provide a nice sense of accomplishment when completed.

If you want to go head to head then I think Android:Netrunner is your best bet.

Both games have great mechanics and good theme, although lotr:lcg is much much stronger there unless you hate fantasy/Tolkien.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Will I get past the lotr theme? I'm not a fan of the films or books but I love GoT books and films. I know I should just love both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she does not like RftG then I might worry about Netrunner a bit. There is a big learning curve when trying to get handle on the language used in Netrunner (links, grips, meat damage, HQ, remote servers, agendas, programs, etc.). To me, this initial learning curve is similar to what is often experienced with RftG. Trying to learn Netrunner may give a similar feeling.

I don't know if that would be a problem or not. However, I find Netrunner to be the most interesting of the LCG's. (I also love RftG.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if you like co-op games then Lord of the Rings is the way to go, if you prefer or are looking for a competitive game then I suggest Warhammer: Invasion.

I suggest this game, because you mentioned that your are mainly board game players. I think that this game has a lot to offer to board game players, because more than the other LCGs, warhammer invasion is a resource management game. The game provides a lot of interesting decisions about how to best play a card. For example, you start the game with three resources and drawing one card. You have a unit in your hand to play, do you put in the Kingdom to generate extra resources, the quest zone to allow for more card draws, or do you go on the offensive and put the guy in your battlefield to attack?

The game can play decently well for two right out of the base box. It has four decks included, plus rules for drafting. This is also a decent jumping on point for the game because it is switching distribution format to a big box once every 4 months (as opposed to monthly packs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
Josephus wrote:
If money is not a big issue then just buy one of the core sets and go from there. If you don't enjoy it then you can buy a different one. Each core set will give you a great opportunity to try the game and they are good value for money.

All the LCG's I have played I've found to be really good fun. Pick a theme that you find appealing and go from there.

I'd like to pick one only because my wife has little / no patience so dispite the cash not being the problem (now I sound like an arse) it's more about having to learn multiple games and she'll kill me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
If she does not like RftG then I might worry about Netrunner a bit. There is a big learning curve when trying to get handle on the language used in Netrunner (links, grips, meat damage, HQ, remote servers, agendas, programs, etc.). To me, this initial learning curve is similar to what is often experienced with RftG. Trying to learn Netrunner may give a similar feeling.

I don't know if that would be a problem or not. However, I find Netrunner to be the most interesting of the LCG's. (I also love RftG.)

Netrunner was of major interest to me but I was woried about the language of it as it's the symbols which did her nut with rftg whereas she loves San juan. I think without considering the wife I'd go for netrunner having read the reviews but I'll only play with the wife so it could just gather dust

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrĂ¼ Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing Thunderstone - she can't get enough of the dungeon theme. Numerous expansions to add endless variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys Star Wars fans, what about the Star Wars: The Card Game? They did a great job making deck building a lot easier and once you get the rules down it plays really fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCG I like is Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game

A type of deckbuilder (little bit similar to Dominion) I like is Rune Age but its not LCG, yet there is a nice expansion. (a must have expansion) Lots of cards in total and many scenarios to choose from. Ranging from full co-op to full player vs player. Or anything in between, the choice is yours. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short overview through my eyes:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Great if you like coops. Very thematic, very story-telling, wonderful artworks. Several unclear rules, scales badly with player numbers (2 is by far the best). If you don't really like the theme and don't prefer a coop over a competitive game, I'd say you can pass.

Warhammer: Invasion
Pretty light rules-wise and easy to grasp (I refer to this game as "Magic Light"). Has a tendency to avoid direct combat, as it is often a good idea to attack a zone where you opponent cannot reasonably defend. Very straightforward, especially good if you don't want to have to dive too deeply into rules.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game
Pretty complex, but if you played the HBO version, you have a head-start. Definitely heavier than Warhammer: Invasion, and the cards are not as pretty. Features more direct conflict and is probably deeper strategy-wise.

Android: Netrunner
I have to admit I only played this once, but I really did not enjoy that. I like the asymmetry in it, but the game I played dragged on forever without much happening at all. I seem to be in a tiny minority with this perception though.

I have not played the others. So basically my two cents are:
- If you like coops, go with Lord of the Rings.
- If you want a comparably simple, straightforward game, go with Warhammer: Invasion.
- If you want something deeper that can also be played with more than 2, go with A Game of Thrones.

If you especially like the theme of AGoT, then I'd say go with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Martin
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I've got nothing up my sleeves
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard not to recommend Netrunner, and this is why:

My wife, like yours, did NOT take to RftG initally. She is also not a computer geek, and thus the theme of Netrunner doesn't mean anything to her. However, she really enjoys Netrunner and picked it up pretty fast. She ONLY wants to play the corporation, even though it is probably the more complicated side, because it suits her play-style. She lost multiple times in a row initially, and still enjoyed it. It is our go-to game to play as a "date" at our local coffee shop.

There's a reason that Netrunner is so highly rated. It is both quite good and pretty easy to learn. A lot of game, even in just one base set. So I don't know if my experience will mirror yours, but it sounds like we're coming from a similar situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Hewlett
msg tools
mbmb
So here's the plan with the feedback so far. I have Warhammer on order for the reasons discussed with a keen eye on Netrunner if she really enjoys the LCG format. Rune Age is in the running as a coop rather than investing in another LCG. Wish me luck on on teaching her Warhammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People seem to overlook Star Wars: The Card Game because is hasn't gotten the same amount of buzz as Android: Netrunner, but my wife and I both really enjoy it. The streamlined deckbuilding appeals to us, too. The bluffing aspect can be quite interesting, especially when you play against the same person most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.