Hide
5 Posts

BattleCON: War of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range and On Hit effects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lufia22
msg tools
I couldn't find a solid answer. Brad seems to have answered a similar question, but I want to clarify my own question for certainty.

My question is what happens if an "On Hit" effect moves the opponent out of your range?

An example would be the base card Grasp (1R, 2Pow, 5Pri, on hit: move opponent 1 space). What if you paired this with a style that has 0 range and I move the opponent away from me, out of my range?

The attack step happens as follows:
-Before Activating
-Check range
-Perform On Hit
-Deal damage
-Perform On Damage
-Check win condition
-Perform After Activating

So, an example situation with characters X and H.
XHooooo

X uses a style with 0 range with the Grasp base for a total of 1 range. X checks range. H is in range. On Hit effects activate and X decides to move H back one.

XoHoooo

The style has 0 power and Grasp has 2 power, for a total of 2 damage. Does the opponent take 2 damage or is H now considered out of range?

TL;DR -- Is range constantly updated or is it only checked once? If an On Hit effect (activates before damage is dealt) moves the opponent out of range, do they still take damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is checked to determine if a hit is scored. If you hit, you'll get to do damage, regardless of whether your opponent is in range when the damage is actually applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is just checked once. This is the equivilent of hitting someone so hard, they get thrown backward. They still take damage from getting hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the opponent takes the 2 damage. Range is only checked once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think about it this way.

You only move them after HITTING.

The hit has happened. You can't miss by hitting them.

When you HIT, you trigger all ON HIT effects.

Dealing Damage is one of those effects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.