Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Spoto
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing a bunch of train games as of late (Railroad Tycoon, all the Ticket to Ride games, including Online & PC versions) so we brought out Express tonight.

Janelle ended up with the deal, I started off going for 1's (box) and 2's (tanker) and later added 3's (coal), while Janelle went for the express and 4's (piggy backs). I had a wild and a way card, so I managed to go out first:

Mike:
1's x 5 = 3
2's x 3 = 2
3's x 5 = 9
Way x 1 = 5
Out = +10
===========
Total = 29

Janelle:
4's x 4 = 8
1's x 4 = 2
===========
Total = 10

So now she was out to win the next hand. She went for 2's (hopper) and 3's (coal), while I started off by drawing two 2's (tanker) to add to the three I started with! Needless to say laying a five meld off the bat didn't make her any happier. She got even by playing a wreck and killing the wole train!. We both spent a long while drawing for cards we needed. I ended up getting all three 3's started as melds. Janelle was close to going out, but I held a wild and a way in my hand (again) and drew just what I needed to go out (again):

Mike:
3's x 4 = 6
3's x 3 = 3
3's x 5 = 9
Way x 2 = 10
Out = +10
===========
Total = 38 + 29 = 67

Janelle:
2's x 4 = 4
3's x 4 = 6
Way x 3 = 15
===========
Total = 25 + 10 = 35

Since you only play to 50 in two player games, it was game over. Janelle was not very happy with me, and it will be a while till I can bring this one out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time try the 4 player team rules. It is interesting how you can exchange cards with your partner using the "Locomotive Switch" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you subtracting her hand from her total score as well? Not that you needed to completely ruin the game for her but it states that whatever point cards are remaining in your opponents hand get subtracted from whatever point total they have accrued.

I suspect I won't play that rule with my girlfriend either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.