Popular Tags: [View All]
fred v
United States
Coalinga
California
flag msg tools
Hi

Long time lurker first time poster.

I wanted to introduce myself to the community because I just recently got into board gaming and I’d like to participate here at BGG.

I was born long ago, during a dark and stormy night, in a dilapidated house, alone and confused…

Just kidding. I won’t go into my life story. But I will confess that I loved Risk, Monopoly, Life and Chess growing up. In my teens and 20’s, I played some Barbarian Prince, Diplomacy, Illuminati and Axis & Allies. I then got into PC games and forgot about board games.

Now, I’m in my 40’s. What brought me back was Catan on Xbox. Even my wife enjoyed it. So, one day while in Berkeley (Go Bears!), we went into the board game store and purchased Settlers of Catan and the Cities and Barbarians expansion. They got old quick (for me, wife loves them). So I started searching the net for games that were a little more complex and less luck based. I came across Candamir and Stone Age. Further research brought me here to BGG.

I probably shouldn’t say this but I made ugly versions of both games and played them with my wife. She loved them (she liked the adventuring, resource collecting and tests in Candamir and the love shack in Stone Age). I liked them, but I was afraid they would quickly get old like Catan. So back to the net and BGG I went and did lots of reading.

Here are my current games:

Mansions of Madness: Beautiful components, but just too many of them. Love the idea of exploring an evil house, but setup/put away takes too long. And I’m not so keen on the 1 vs everyone else. Played one 2 player game and two 3 player games. I’m sure this would be much better with more players. Considering selling/trading (if I can figure out how to here)

Gears of War: love this game. Wife loves to play the video game, but not the board game. She thinks it’s too hard and complex. My nephew loves it, though. This is a keeper.

Pictionary Man: I love Pictionary. This is ok. Played twice. Willing to sell/trade.

Hive: Interesting game. I like it. I even bought some clay and made the mosquito tokens. Made the mistake of telling my wife that it’s kind of like chess. She won’t even look at it now. My niece loves it, though. This is a keeper.

Quelf: Was out of town bored at a small family get together. Went to WalMart and bought on a whim. Served its purpose for the night. Played twice. Willing to sell/trade.

Rival for Catan: Bought this thinking my wife would like it. She won’t even try it. Played twice with my niece. Willing to sell/trade.

Settlers of Catan: Fun for awhile. Good gateway. Played at least a dozen times. I think I’m missing a blue road or two. Willing to sell/trade.

Barbarians and Cities expansion: Game time is waaaaay tooooo loooong. Played twice. Willing to sell/trade

Zpocalypse: Kickstarted this. Love horror, survival and zombies. Played twice solo to learn rules. Thinking now maybe I should have went with Zombicide, or just waited for something better. But I still have hope for this one. Maybe after a few real games, rule tweaks and variants. I’ll be very cautious about kickstarting another board game in the future from now on. Considering selling/trading.

Infiltration: Just bought this and have played twice solo to learn the rules. I like it. Simple, easy to learn, and not to complex for the wife. With expansion/variants this could be a gem.

Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition: Played once. Hey, it's risk. Missing the one ring token. Willing to sell/trade

Here is my wish list:

 Robinson Crusoe
 Incursion
 Lancaster
 Argtech

These are on my radar:

 City Of Horror
 Cash n Guns
 Dark Minions
 Dark, Darker, Darkest
 Space Hulk Death Angel
 City of Thieves
 Andean Abyss or other political/conflict type games (though I know my wife will not even look at them let alone play them). I think a new one about the Cuban revolution is due out soon.
 Zulus on the Ramparts (I’m not really into solo play, but this looks interesting)

Maybe someone here can recommend a game for us?:
 Easy to learn
 Not too complex
 Reasonable amount of components (short setup/put away time)
 Adventure, survival is a plus
 Co op is a plus
 We both seem to like worker placements
 I like squad based games with a variety of missions/goals that need to be completed
 Must play well with 2 players
 My wife loved the Diablo pc games. Maybe a fantasy game with monster killing and finding loot.

I’m seriously considering Robinson Crusoe at the moment.

Sorry if too long and for the abrupt ending. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Added Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG! It really is a great community. I hope you enjoy your time here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Fred,

Welcome to BGG! Great introduction; not too long at all.

First of all, regarding a game suggestion, you might enjoy the three D&D boardgames: Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game.

They are essentially dungeon crawl games with miniatures. There are various scenarios with varying objectives in each game. You kill monsters and collect loot a la Diablo. They are also cooperative, and as you improve, you and your wife could each control more than one hero. It seems as though these games tick most of your game requirements. They are all compatible, but you only need one to play. Drizzt is generally considered to be the best (it's the newest as well). There is no need to be familiar with D&D to play these games.

Secondly, your profile doesn't mention a city, but it sounds like you're in the Bay Area, if not Berkeley specifically. So let me welcome you as a fellow Northern Californian! I live in Oakland and work in Emeryville, so we're neighbors.

There are a lot of good gaming groups in the area. Several of the local gaming stores have groups, though I haven't really joined them yet (I've tended to avoid game store groups after some unwelcoming experiences a LONG time ago). However, I have become a regular with a group that meets an Tuesday evenings in Alameda. We meet in a coffee shop, which is a nice neutral environment without the vibe and trappings of a formal game store. The group is exceptionally welcoming, and I'd like to extend an invite to join us sometime. It's a great way to meet some people who share your enjoyment of games, while being able to expand your knowledge and experience. There are always a wide choice of games to play of varying styles.

Reply back, or "Geekmail" me and I'll send on the relevant information, if you're interested. We've had several new people join us, so there's no need to worry about being the only new guy. Your wife would be very welcome too; we have a number of regular female players and a few of our members are married couples.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding BGG, or anything game related. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck, and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredearlobes wrote:
Hive: Interesting game. I like it. ... Made the mistake of telling my wife that it’s kind of like chess. She won’t even look at it now.

Welcome! The quote above could have been written word for word by me a few years ago. shake

Keep looking and you'll find plenty of games you both like. Hopefully you can find someone nearby who owns games or a game shop where you can try before you buy.

-Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankblankFred
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred v
United States
Coalinga
California
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for welcoming me.

DI: I added my city. I’m in central Cal but I frequent the bay area quite a bit to visit family and go to the cal games. Thanks for the recommendation, it looks fun and something my wife would enjoy. Also, thanks for the invite to join your game group. I might hit you up on it next time I’m up there.

The thing I need to figure out now is how to sell/trade. But first I’ll probably go to the game store in Fresno and see if I might be able to do it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Fred.

This is a great site, much to learn, tons to browse.

As for my 2 cents worth, I would recommend trying some different types of games based on mechanics, you'll find out there are really cool types out there. Maybe try a simple press-your-luck dice game like King of Tokyo or Can't Stop. (Think a more fun version of Yahtzee). I love the worker placement games, too, but have definitely recognized in myself a habit of acquiring too many of them. I'm now interested in trying some Area Control games or a Pick Up and Deliver game.

Anyhow, I've been interested in Mansions of Madness for a bit, might want to buy your copy. Send me a geekmail if you're interested in selling.

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred hasn't responded since his first post. I hope he didn't drown in BGG-ness! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.