Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Eminent Domain: Escalation» Forums » General

Subject: Two Player Change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I noticed that in the two player game that you've changed the rules slightly for the setup. I'm curious as to why you felt the need for this change. Was it influenced by the new techs and starting scenarios and options? Or was it just to shorten the game slightly? I'm wondering if ignoring this when adding the expansion will make any significant difference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the changes?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sugi wrote:
What are the changes?

The only change for 2p is to remove 4 cards from each Role stack during Setup.

The reason for this change is that the 2 player game has a tendency to drag a bit. In the original game I did not mind that, and it was outweighed in my mind by the much simpler standard setup. In fact, I liked that 2 player games were a bit longer.

In Escalation, with more stuff to do, it seemed like the extra time took away from a player's need to focus on a strategy. Also, since I had to have a different setup for 5 players anyway, I figured it would be prudent to sharpen the pencil and fine tune the starting setup for each player count (and include the 3p Extended variant, since it seems popular - something I didn't know the first time around).

If you are playing the base game, you may choose to remove 4 cards from each stack for 4 players if you wish. I have actually been doing that myself for quite some time. IT should make for a slightly more focused game, but mostly it will just be a little bit shorter. The shorter game has not generally shown to make much of a difference as to who wins most of the time.

I recommend the new 2p setup for the base game, but it is not required. In the expansion it has become the rule.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
I noticed that in the two player game that you've changed the rules slightly for the setup. I'm curious as to why you felt the need for this change. Was it influenced by the new techs and starting scenarios and options? Or was it just to shorten the game slightly? I'm wondering if ignoring this when adding the expansion will make any significant difference.

In a word, "both."

Ignoring this rule with the expansion will make 2p games longer, which often just means the player who is winning gets to win more. It also means there's less pressure to focus on your strategy.

If you're into that kind of thing, then ignoring the rule won't be that big a deal. but I think the best choice for the expansion is the new rule.

Again, the base game works fine without the removal of cards, and I do not feel like it was a mistake to include the full stacks for 2 players. I think it was the right choice for the base game, and I think new players might have had a disappointing experience if their first game with 2 players was "too short."

However, using the new rule for the base game is also acceptable, and in fact some players will probably like it better.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So just to be clear, the 4 cards removed from each stack are the extra 4 cards added in when you have Escalation right? So after removing the 4 cards you will have the same amount of cards as you originally did playing only the base game.

Or is it slightly different? I am in favor of removing some cards. When we play base game I always remove 1 player's worth of cards from the central area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
So just to be clear, the 4 cards removed from each stack are the extra 4 cards added in when you have Escalation right? So after removing the 4 cards you will have the same amount of cards as you originally did playing only the base game.

That is incorrect.

For example, there are 20 total Colonize cards in the base game. In Escalation there will be 4 additional Colonize cards (they have a blue highlight on the border, like the blue Influence tokens). For the various player counts you will use the following number of Colonize cards, total (before making starting decks):

24 Colonize cards for 5p
20 Colonize cards for 4p
20 Colonize cards for 3p
18 Colonize cards for 3p Extended
16 Colonize cards for 2p

Of those, only the 2p and 5p setups are different from the base game.

In the Escalation rulebook there's a nice chart for this.

Quote:
Or is it slightly different? I am in favor of removing some cards. When we play base game I always remove 1 player's worth of cards from the central area.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:
So just to be clear, the 4 cards removed from each stack are the extra 4 cards added in when you have Escalation right? So after removing the 4 cards you will have the same amount of cards as you originally did playing only the base game.

That is incorrect.

For example, there are 20 total Colonize cards in the base game. In Escalation there will be 4 additional Colonize cards (they have a blue highlight on the border, like the blue Influence tokens). For the various player counts you will use the following number of Colonize cards, total (before making starting decks):

24 Colonize cards for 5p
20 Colonize cards for 4p
20 Colonize cards for 3p
18 Colonize cards for 3p Extended
16 Colonize cards for 2p

Of those, only the 2p and 5p setups are different from the base game.

In the Escalation rulebook there's a nice chart for this.

Quote:
Or is it slightly different? I am in favor of removing some cards. When we play base game I always remove 1 player's worth of cards from the central area.


Thanks Seth, that clears it up!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I have a question on 2 player set up. Those new numbers of cards used to set up a game of Escalation refer to how many there are in the game before cards are dealt to players right? So, in a 2 player game, there would only actually be 12 Survey cards in a deck, since each would player would've been dealt 2 cards from the beginning stack of 16 correct?

Also, I wanted to clarify, the Escalation rulebook shows 4 cards are taken out of each stack, except only 2 are taken out of the Warfare stack. Unless, you being the designer feel Warfare should also have 4 taken out at the start of a game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rockxhero wrote:
I have a question on 2 player set up. Those new numbers of cards used to set up a game of Escalation refer to how many there are in the game before cards are dealt to players right? So, in a 2 player game, there would only actually be 12 Survey cards in a deck, since each would player would've been dealt 2 cards from the beginning stack of 16 correct?

Also, I wanted to clarify, the Escalation rulebook shows 4 cards are taken out of each stack, except only 2 are taken out of the Warfare stack. Unless, you being the designer feel Warfare should also have 4 taken out at the start of a game?

If I remember correctly, you basically remove two player decks from the stacks. However I may have said "4 cards per stack" to make it easier.

There is not much difference between those two. Whatever I put in the Escalation rulebook should match what I put in the Exotica rulebook. I'd just follow that.

Yes, after setup and dealing the player decks, 12 Survey cards will remain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kamps
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification & timely reply for this "dead" thread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.